Facebook 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife wants me to get one.......I can't....hearing from people I have not heard from in 20 years! Thats a NIGHTMARE, like being stuck in your High-School reunion!!!!! Class of 88 ROCKS!:barfy:
Speaking of....our class reunion is partially being arrange through Facebook! Yup, that's how we are all finding eachother and chatting it up. I will not be attending....don't ever intend to step foot in that state again. But it is nice to see how we've all grown and moved on with life. We had a very small highschool.

My two-bit university offers email addresses to the folks who graduated before the internet was big--they just verify you attended and will give you a permanent address. I promptly then set it to forward everything to my normal account and never checked it again!

Fred,
I also suggest using an email you don't check often, then you won't be distracted from your work and home life, just for facebook.

My wife wants me to get one.......I can't....hearing from people I have not heard from in 20 years! Thats a NIGHTMARE, like being stuck in your High-School reunion!!!!! Class of 88 ROCKS!:barfy:

It sure does! :lol: Those were the days! :graduate:

Fred,

Welcome to the matrix.... :lol:

Just make sure you set up your privacy settings and you will be fine. If you don't want to get an email every time something happens then just turn off the different emails. My wife and I have enjoyed being able to interact with family and friends. But you have to watch it because FB can be addicting :p

John,

What privacy settings do you recommend or use? I have email notifications turned off for almost everything - since I have an iPhone, I can always check FB without a notification, and before I did that my inbox exploded. :lol:

Fred, as a bare minimum only allow your profile and pics to be seen by friends. There some exceptions, but generally this will provide you anonymity on FB outside of your friends. The most notable exception is if you are members of a group (say,"Fan of Charles Spurgeon") with someone who is not your friend. They won't have access to your profile or pics, but they will be able to interact with you on the Spurgeon site.

I ignore all the application requests. They are basically there to capture info for marketing purposes. Also, I don't understand why folks fill out every survey. The questions elicit enough personal information so that a fellow in Nigeria can send an email to your friends and pretend he is you long enough to have them send money to get him out of a crisis.

On the other hand, FB is a perfect way to keep in touch. We don't always have time for long conversations on the phone, but it is very easy to just 'keep in touch' or know that things are well with your friends and family, or that they need prayer and encouragement. In that regard, FB saves time.

I am using FB groups much like one would use Google groups, to collect the youth from our church to get a youth fellowship going.

Fred is evidently getting FB down. I checked my page this morning and had a friend request from him. He made it through my vetting process.

I ignore all the application requests. They are basically there to capture info for marketing purposes. Also, I don't understand why folks fill out every survey. The questions elicit enough personal information so that a fellow in Nigeria can send an email to your friends and pretend he is you long enough to have them send money to get him out of a crisis.

On the other hand, FB is a perfect way to keep in touch. We don't always have time for long conversations on the phone, but it is very easy to just 'keep in touch' or know that things are well with your friends and family, or that they need prayer and encouragement. In that regard, FB saves time.

I am using FB groups much like one would use Google groups, to collect the youth from our church to get a youth fellowship going.

How does the guy in Nigeria have access to my PI if he isn't my friend? I don't accept friends that I don't know.

How does the guy in Nigeria have access to my PI if he isn't my friend? I don't accept friends that I don't know.

If you use any 3rd-party apps/games/whathaveyou, you agreed to let it mine your data when you click the allow button to open the app. Now, I don't put a ton of stuff on my info page--if an old friend needs my phone number, she can message me for it, but I do play a few games.

Ok,

So as some of you know, I joined Facebook this morning. It is really surreal. I did this mostly to get a feel for what it was like as more of the young people from our Church are involved in Facebook. I also found out that there are a great many PCA ministers on FB (maybe for the same reason?). While trying to work, my email is going berserk. I have like 40 "friends" now, and even got a request from John Frame! :lol:

I am also now understanding how people have information overload and the inability to think through things methodically. I am getting "Wall postings" "Notes" email like messages, friend requests, group suggestions and all kinds of other things that are making me dizzy. I have no idea what is public, what is semi-private and what is private. Does anyone have a Facebook 101 manual to instruct me? Twitter was WAY less complicated and easier to understand.

Well Marcia, I mean Fred!, it's not surprising that the most popular guy on the PB would get lots of requests for Friends.

I don't have much time for FB and sometimes regret joining it. I will occasionally read my wall but mostly just respond to the occasional Friend request.

I don't approve every incoming Friend request because I don't want to become innundated with the goings on of everybody I know or am loosely associated with. I also find it awkward to accept Friend requests from young ladies that are Friends of other friends that I don't really know so I turn them down.

I turn down "causes" as a general rule and you do need to be aware that there are some Facebook apps that will automatically share PII. I recommend you go into your settings and set your security settings.

Me too....

I couldn't handle it. I shut my Facebook down after a couple of weeks because I was so overwhelmed. I had many friend requests from people whom I hadn't spoken to in decades. It was too emotionally draining for me.

I did the same. Mine was hacked, and it sent out virus filled Valentines to all my Friends, which, my wife was not happy about when I got thank yous from the women, nor my male friends-lol.....needless to say, that was a bummer....so, when I was changing my password, checking my computer, etc...I just deactivated it....for above reasons.

I'll prob. fire it back up one of these days.

Wow, you are a babe in the woods. This is the day of google stats and metrics, spiders, bots, trojan horses and the greatest gift to marketers and hackers everywhere.......METADATA!

Look at the URL of your FB page. There isn't even an 's' at the end of 'http'. Your information is passing back and forth without encryption.

Don't put any information on an insecure site that could be used by an identity crook.

When a person fills out one of those surveys it always asks permission to mine your data. How polite! Who writes those apps? Are they putting those on FB just for your entertainment. Read the license agreement that you agreed to when you joined.

I'm not saying Facebook isn't a great thing. I encourage my friends and family to join. But remember, you are giving information to somebody and you need to be vigilante in your caution regarding out that info may be used.

Wow, you are a babe in the woods. This is the day of google stats and metrics, spiders, bots, trojan horses and the greatest gift to marketers and hackers everywhere.......METADATA!

Look at the URL of your FB page. There isn't even an 's' at the end of 'http'. Your information is passing back and forth without encryption.

Don't put any information on an insecure site that could be used by an identity crook.

When a person fills out one of those surveys it always asks permission to mine your data. How polite! Who writes those apps? Are they putting those on FB just for your entertainment. Read the license agreement that you agreed to when you joined.

I'm not saying Facebook isn't a great thing. I encourage my friends and family to join. But remember, you are giving information to somebody and you need to be vigilante in your caution regarding out that info may be used.

Thanks, Bob, I seriously didn't know this! I went and took off all PI!

Did Pastor Greco set some kind of record for the fastest Facebook member ever to hit 100 friends? Wow, I looked at his profile this AM and he was at 114 and still climbing...impressive!

I recently joined Twitter but I have been on FB for over 2 years now and have found it very useful. I first got on it to keep in contact with current and former students. It has opened a world of old friends that has been good. You can't let it take over but it has been a helpful tool to keep up with people especially since I left SC after being their for 14 years.

Janice
Granite Classical Tutorials
Chapelgate PCA
Sykesville, MD

Did Pastor Greco set some kind of record for the fastest Facebook member ever to hit 100 friends? Wow, I looked at his profile this AM and he was at 114 and still climbing...impressive!

And this is the funny thing about Facebook: the same comment coming from a NYC physician and a young man in my church!

Gotta love it.

Question for veteran users: how do you delete something from Facebook "News Feed?"

Someone posted a picture, and his "friends" thought it permissible to use foul language. Now I have that on my "News Feed" and I don't want others (or my kids seeing that). If I have to, I will "unfriend" the person just to get it off my "page," but I'd rather not have to be that drastic.

Any help please?

You can hoverto the right of the item and a blue box with a pencil should appear. You should be able to choose "See less of ____". Clicking that and refreshing usually works. They will be changing all this next week, as well.

And now that you've master Facebook - they are going to change it all around on you in the next couple weeks!!!

(BTW- the app that lets you get a free Whopper at BK for deleting 10 friends has been taken down.)

You can hoverto the right of the item and a blue box with a pencil should appear. You should be able to choose "See less of ____". Clicking that and refreshing usually works. They will be changing all this next week, as well.

Nope. Did that and can't get rid of it. Very annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back