Famous Last Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrysostom
(died 407)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glory to God for all Things.
Amen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathan Edwards
(died 1758)

Trust in God and you need not fear.

Charles Wesley
(died 1788)

I shall be satisfied with Thy likeness -- satisfied.

John Wesley
(died 1791)

The best of all is, God is with us.

John Owen:

When John Owen, the great Puritan, lay on his death bed his secretary wrote (in his name) to a friend, "I am still in the land of the living." "Stop," said Owen. "Change that and say, 'I am yet in the land of the dying, but I hope soon to be in the land of the living.'"

See what I'm aiming at when I said it's interesting to note the differences between the last words of those who believed on Christ and those who (as far as we know) didn't?

Archbishop Thomas Cranmer

Archbishop Thomas Cranmer

And the bishop answered, (showing his hand), 'This was the hand that wrote it, and therefore shall it suffer first punishment.'
Fire being now put to him, he stretched out his right hand, and thrust it into the flame, and held it there a good space, before the fire came to any other part of his body; where his hand was seen of every man sensibly burning, crying with a loud voice, 'This hand hath offended.' As soon as the fire got up, he was very soon dead, never stirring or crying all the while.

This is interesting!

I think Proverbs & Ecclesiastes more than alludes to us thinking often on our own mortality. I know I have often thought about my own death. I have prayed many, many times that the purest of thanksgivings could be on my tongue when that time comes. Even now just thinking of it overjoys my heart! I have no idea whether or not the Lord will grant that prayer, but it is my hope that He does. In the meantime, I want continual thanksgiving to be on my lips throughout the day and even on my awakening at night! What a wonderful day it will be when we die. We will then be face to face with our wonderful Lord and Savior!

I thoroughly enjoy threads like this!

Some people curse before they die when some unexpected accident comes. I hope I could just let out a "I'm coming home Lord!" when a rig is plowing into me or shark is about to eat me.

"The Scriptures explain themselves." - A.W. Pink
"My Father, my Father.." - John Gill
"Why should you grieve, daughter? To be absent from the body is to be with the Lord, to be with the Lord is to see the Lord, to see the Lord is to be like Him. - Charles Hodge

I love those men, with those before mentioned. May we all be likewise blessed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back