Fantastic 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
A co-worker claimed it was lame. As she liked the first one, though, I don't know that her judgment is to be trusted.
 
Thoughts from my youngest brother (24) who is a comics fan.

Misty and I saw this around 2:30 today, needless to say I was impressed. Not BEST SUPER HERO MOVIE EVAH!" like I was with Batman Begins, it's not a masterpiece by any means. It's a fun ride that stays pretty close to the source material. It's also the "short" movie I think many of my friends have been asking for, at 95 minuets long it tells a pretty good tale chock full of action and family fun.It's head and shoulders above the original. I loved the Surfer and Doom was much more of the Doom we know and love from the comics.

I'd give it a solid B or B-
 
Not fantastic....

But good....

Adam, that review is pretty much on the money.

I have to like it, that it sticks to comic history. I have to like, Silver Surfer. I have to like the PG rating, and that it's clean and good for kids....but, it is a bit weak in the dialogue, and it's hard to say this, because I want to like it more, but, even considering it had Silver Surfer, it was not as good as the first.

Morals are there for the post movie talk with kids...Christ type.

I give it a B- as well....and for comic fans a :up: Critical people :down: and your Average Joe...????
 
Virginia H not chiming in? I felt quite certain that he would be at the midnight showing on opening night. Scott
 
Here is a review from Plugged In, a Focus on the Family reviewing source. It is amazing how much garbage they can fill into a PG movie. I definitely won't be taking the kids and will probably avoid it myself.
 
From the review:
Before his wedding, Reed reluctantly agrees that Johnny can throw him a bachelor party on the condition there be "no exotic dancers." To Reed's initial dismay, the party at a local nightclub is full of scantily clad dancers (one of whom is practically falling out of her top). Johnny insists they're not exotic dancers: "They're just hot." Three of them exhibit a lot of affection for the almost-married superhero. In turn, Reed (a somewhat nerdy type who's enjoying the attention) gets carried away dancing, coiling two of them in his stretchy arms just as his bride-to-be walks in. Sue's not too mad, though, because she says her own bachelorette party was much wilder.

There are several sly references to sex in the film. A reporter asks Johnny's girlfriend-of-the-moment what it takes to be the Human Torch's significant other. "Fireproof lingerie and a lot of aloe," she says. Johnny awkwardly inquires how Ben and Alicia have sex ("Uh, how do you guys ..." he asks without completing the question). Then he jokes, "I'd hate to wake up one morning and find out she was killed in a rock slide."

Sue's accidental power-swap with Johnny burns off all her cloths, and we see the outline of her body in its fiery form. When the flames go off, though, she ends up naked (but face-down) on a busy New York street. The audience never sees any exposed flesh, but it's implied that bystanders and photographers in her vicinity get an eyeful (paparazzi cameras click away) before she cloaks herself with invisibility. More revealing are some of Sue's outfits (especially a leg- and cleavage revealing bathrobe). Likewise, Johnny is shown coming out of the shower with nothing but a towel around his waist; steam evaporates from his body as he flirts with a female Army officer.

Sue tells Reed, "I'm so hot for you now" after he confronts a condescending Army general. "Me too!" Johnny says in jest. Johnny also suggests that Reed he should behave better, lest Sue deliver an invisible kick to his groin.
. . .
Reed's bachelor party features lots of drinking. We witness Ben polish off a pitcher of beer (and see two other empty pitchers nearby) and then hear him emit a massive belch. No one appears to be drunk, but when Reed leaves, Sue sarcastically says she can wait if he wants to "do Jell-O shots off a girl's stomach." Johnny and Ben have a heart-to-heart in a bar. Both drink, and Johnny pours beer over a dartboard to douse a fire he accidentally started. There is champagne at the wedding.
This is moral pollution. The only reason it is in there is to titillate the sin that resides in us.

Scott
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top