Fantasy Soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripel

Puritan Board Senior
I know this is a long shot, but is anyone in the PB world a fan of soccer and want to participate in a fantasy league? This is going to be for the English Premiership.

(now cue the crickets...)
 
I'm a fan (Go Gunners!). We even have a group here at my firm that goes to an Irish pub to watch the bigger games (Champions League usually).

I've never played fantasy sports before. What does one do?
 
Jon,
It's pretty simple. Every player in the league is given a value and you (as the manager) are given a lump sum of "money". You spend your money however you wish to fill your roster. You are free to buy big stars like Fabregas, but it will cost you a lot of money and you might have to take lesser players in other positions.
Each week you choose your starting lineup from among your roster, and you accumulate points for goals, assists, clean sheets, etc.
You can put as little or as much time into it as you choose. Again, it's simple.

If you PM me with your email address, I'll send you the official invitation. Last year was the first time I did this, and I thought it was a lot of fun. I do it through the official EPL website.
 
Jon,
It's pretty simple. Every player in the league is given a value and you (as the manager) are given a lump sum of "money". You spend your money however you wish to fill your roster. You are free to buy big stars like Fabregas, but it will cost you a lot of money and you might have to take lesser players in other positions.
Each week you choose your starting lineup from among your roster, and you accumulate points for goals, assists, clean sheets, etc.
You can put as little or as much time into it as you choose. Again, it's simple.

If you PM me with your email address, I'll send you the official invitation. Last year was the first time I did this, and I thought it was a lot of fun. I do it through the official EPL website.

Sounds good. I'm going to send you a couple of other email addresses for some brothers who may also like to play if there's room.
 
I've created the league. It's called "The Puritanship".

There are two ways to join: One is to PM me with your email address, and I will send you an invitation. The second way is to go directly to the EPL website, create a team, and join my private league.

Here is the website:

Fantasy Premier League - a Fantasy Football Game for the Barclays Premier League

You will have to register a user account, then you create your team. You'll give your team a name, design your kit (optional), and then fill your roster. Once your team is created you can join my private league. At some point you will have to enter a code in order to join. The code is 1155191-224138.
 
sign me up! I'm a Rangers fan in the SPL, but I love the EPL as well. Especially Stoke City and Chelsea. :cool:
 
Rangerus and Benjamin,

Glad to see you have joined The Puritanship! I hope to see several others!
 
The season opener is this Saturday, so that only leaves you with a few days left to sign up! Hurry, all of you English soccer/football fans!
 
I just joined. You guys are going down!!!!!!! :violin::stirpot:

Great! Glad to have you

-----Added 8/12/2009 at 08:30:04 EST-----

I really miss having Fox Soccer Channel...

Last year was my first year to have Fox Soccer. Prior to that I had Setanta Sports, but I canceled it due to the high cost--$15 a month!!!

Setanta always seems to carry more Liverpool games (which is who I follow), but Fox Soccer has more all-around soccer coverage...and it's cheaper.

The past several years, Setanta and Fox have been splitting the Premiership coverage for the US. This year ESPN has joined the mix. I don't think the schedule is officially released, but they are supposed to be showing the Saturday morning 7:45 (ET) slot and the Monday afternoon (3:00 ET I think), both on ESPN2.

In case you're not aware, Setanta is in trouble, and they have lost all of their coverage in the UK (which ESPN has taken over). Setanta will still be airing games over here, but I bet this will be the last season. It will eventually be just Fox Soccer and ESPN taking over the full Premiership coverage. It's also rumored that ESPN will create it's own soccer station, perhaps replacing ESPN Classic.

...OK, probably more info than you wanted.
 
Yeah I read the Times of London pretty regularly (mostly for Jeremy Clarkson's articles ;)) and saw that Setanta was in trouble.

Where did you read that about ESPN? I must have missed it somehow. I really hope they get SkySportsNews on a cable tier here in the States. That is probably the biggest thing I miss about Fox Soccer Channel.
 
Yeah I read the Times of London pretty regularly (mostly for Jeremy Clarkson's articles ;))

That's a great reason to read the Times. I'm a big Top Gear fan.


Where did you read that about ESPN? I must have missed it somehow.

On EPL Talk.

ESPN Adds Premier League To Soccer Line Up | EPL Talk

It has not been confirmed by ESPN, because the details are still being finalized. This is from a reputable source, and a few other "insiders" have hinted that the deal will be announced by ESPN shortly. It's good news for us in the US.
 
That was me Sir.

I didn't look at the other team names, but as a former Arsenal player was Julio Baptista, I reckoned 'Reformed Baptista' was amusing. Its only a half-translation!

Prepare to lose.

muhahahaha
 
That was me Sir.

I didn't look at the other team names, but as a former Arsenal player was Julio Baptista, I reckoned 'Reformed Baptista' was amusing. Its only a half-translation!

Prepare to lose.

muhahahaha


Jonathan, I pray that you can taking losing lightly. My team and I will have no mercy upon your team. VIVA THE REFORMED BAPTIST! ( Players Pumping Their Fist).... Your going :down:

-----Added 8/12/2009 at 05:25:51 EST-----

I just realized you are an elder. I guess ill take it easy on you. :p
 
The two of you just need to cool it. There's no point in getting worked up...



...since you are all going to have to accept losing!
 
Last call!!!!!!

If anyone else is slightly interested, go ahead and jump aboard. You can join via the code I posted above, or PM me with your email address and I will send you an invite.
 
As much as I enjoy soccer, I know I can't dedicate the time necessary to join a league (I see how much time Tim's baseball league takes!), but an additional note for AT&T customers---you get ESPN 360 for free on the website. Free replays for about a week on your schedule.
 
As much as I enjoy soccer, I know I can't dedicate the time necessary to join a league (I see how much time Tim's baseball league takes!), but an additional note for AT&T customers---you get ESPN 360 for free on the website. Free replays for about a week on your schedule.

It doesn't have to take up a lot of your time, at least not the soccer leaguee. For the final 3 months of last year, I never even looked at my fantasy team...yet still won the league.

But I understand not needing to take on another commitment.
 
That was me Sir.

I didn't look at the other team names, but as a former Arsenal player was Julio Baptista, I reckoned 'Reformed Baptista' was amusing. Its only a half-translation!

Prepare to lose.

muhahahaha


Jonathan, I pray that you can taking losing lightly. My team and I will have no mercy upon your team. VIVA THE REFORMED BAPTIST! ( Players Pumping Their Fist).... Your going :down:

-----Added 8/12/2009 at 05:25:51 EST-----

I just realized you are an elder. I guess ill take it easy on you. :p

settle it on the field. :lol:
 
That was me Sir.

I didn't look at the other team names, but as a former Arsenal player was Julio Baptista, I reckoned 'Reformed Baptista' was amusing. Its only a half-translation!

Prepare to lose.

muhahahaha


Jonathan, I pray that you can taking losing lightly. My team and I will have no mercy upon your team. VIVA THE REFORMED BAPTIST! ( Players Pumping Their Fist).... Your going :down:

-----Added 8/12/2009 at 05:25:51 EST-----

I just realized you are an elder. I guess ill take it easy on you. :p

settle it on the field. :lol:

Johnathan is in the lead after today's results. I told you ill take it easy on him. :lol:
 
Mhmmm. Any comments about the results today? Tomorrow I will be in the lead. :}

LOL. I was very pleased that my Team (Arsenal) walked all over Everton with goals for two of my fantasy league players (who are in Arsenal) but the win was tempered slightly with the fact that Everton's goalkeeper, who conceded SIX, is also in my fantasy team. Ugh.
 
Daniel, I have a question. As a matter of fact, if anyone knows the answer please share. Even if the players are benched, the numbers they produce still enter into the overall score of the team? By the way, Im in first place. :banana:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top