Favorite Authors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong--Horton is a phenomenal communicator and he ws the first person I turned to for Reformed theology. However, he goes overboard sometimes in warning people against "triumphalist" postmillennialism, postmillennialists adapting dispensational ideas of building a kingdom on earth (which is silly, I am against dispensationalism and the very notion that we aer similar is inane). As someone else on this board has said, he says nicer things about arminians than he does about theonomists. TO give him credit, however, he has admitted that theonomists put their money wehre their mouth is. And despite himself, he had a fictious debate between Mora List, Doug Gooder, and Theo Nomist, and he had theonomist actually winning the debate! I don't know if he would admit that, hwoever.

But again, his books on worship and Putting Amazing Back into Grace are top-nothc.

My list includes:

R.L. Dabney
James H. Thornwell
John Calvin
Theodore Beza
Cornelius Van Til
J. Gresham Machen
John Knox
Thomas M'Crie
Matthew Poole
Matthew Henry
J.G. Vos
John Murray
Samuel Rutherford
Abraham Kuyper
Francis Schaeffer
Jim West
J.R.R. Tolkien
C.S. Lewis (fiction)
Stephen King
Agatha Christie
Michael Crichton
Tom Clancy
Jules Verne
James Herriot
John Donne
George Herbert
Robert Louis Stevenson
Daniel Defoe
J.M.H. D'Aubigne

[Edited on 28-11-2004 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Isn't Brennan Manning a Roman Catholic member of some sort of monastic order (Franciscan I think)(???). I'm almost certain he is.

I like Rushdoony and Schaeffer for breaking down philosophical trends and showing how they impact culture -fascinating stuff. Schaeffer on the arts is the best I've yet seen -brilliant. His son Franky seems to be the perpetual malcontent from what I've seen.

Sproul for introducing me to Reformed theology (in laymans terms -yet forcing me to grow at the same time). I've not yet matured enough to speak about the big guys -Calvin, Turretin, Owen, etc. The little that I've read from each so far makes me lean towards Turretin.

Bahnsen for apologetics ...which I thought was pointless (in the face of post-modernism) till he showed me the necessity and Biblical injunction/imperative for Christians to even HAVE an apologetic. The little bit of Van Til that I've read has greatly influenced me here also (obviously).

No offense y'all but every time I try to read Spurgeon I can never catch a good rhythm and feel like I could've spent my time better as it seems like he was just stating the obvious...maybe I'm just not getting the right stuff by him from his huge output(?)...

John Flavel's Mystery of Providence is probably my favorite puritan book so far.

Arthur Pink is pretty good for Scriptural insights. I like his stuff.

For 19th century authors, J.A. Wylie is really informative and totally vitriolic against Rome -I don't suppose that he would go over too well with too many folks nowadays because he's....."intolerant" -the unpardonable sin! I think my vocabulary increases exponentially every time I read him, he uses all kinds of great old words that force me to run to my Webster's to fully grasp what he's saying.

I forgot a few:

Non-Church Historian(s):
Paul Johnson

Poetry:
Edmund Spencer ****
John Milton
William Blake

Literature:
Tolkien
CS Lewis
GK Chesterton
Stephen Lawhead

Matt

How does Turretin's work differ from Calvins ? I have Lane and Osborne's smaller Institues, but have NOT started it yet. I have heard a lot of good things about Turretin.

Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon
I tried to make a list 5 times and kept needing to change it. So I said, if I had a time machine, like in the old 50's movie, and I came back to get three books (sets), what three would I get beside taking my Bible?

Turretin 3 Volumes
Edwards' Works
Pilgrim's Progress

I would really hate it, but I think I would leave behind Owen. :sad:

There are others I would also be sad about - Augustine, Clark, Neal, Burroughs, Vos, Hodge(s), Gerstner, Dabney D'Aubigne, Gurnall, Watson, Warfield, Sibbes (!!), Perkins, Love, Ames, oh my, I would have to make a whole bunch of trips on my time machine!! :sad:

Maybe I could take them all on CD! Then all I would need is a big hard drive and a good laptop and lots of baterries! :biggrin:

[Edited on 7-14-2003 by webmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back