More Presbyterian authors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenMartyr

Puritan Board Freshman
In looking at some of my books, I've noticed somehow down the road I've gotten sucked into the Dutch Reformed vortex. Anyone know of good Presbyterian authors off the beaten path? Puritans welcomed, but also those of the 1800's and 1900's are good too.

EDIT: Maybe Reformation Heritage Books will do that to you :detective:

Samuel Davies (quite possibly my all-time favorite preacher), R. L. Dabney, J. H. Thornwell, B. M. Palmer, W. S. Plumer, Thomas Dwight Witherspoon, B. B. Warfield, Archibald Alexander, and Charles Hodge. Those should be enough to keep you busy for a while. If you need specifics for each one, let me know.

Samuel Davies (quite possibly my all-time favorite preacher), R. L. Dabney, J. H. Thornwell, B. M. Palmer, W. S. Plumer, Thomas Dwight Witherspoon, B. B. Warfield, Archibald Alexander, and Charles Hodge. Those should be enough to keep you busy for a while. If you need specifics for each one, let me know.

I heard the name of Thornwell before. I saw it some time ago on Amazon or somewhere else, a complete works set. It seemed at the time to be either hard to get or some volumes were discontinued. Do you know anything about that?

I heard the name of Thornwell before. I saw it some time ago on Amazon or somewhere else, a complete works set. It seemed at the time to be either hard to get or some volumes were discontinued. Do you know anything about that?

Do you mind reading e-books? You can find most the individuals I names online or in Logos.
Check out Log College Press. They have an extensive free pdf library of old Presbyterian works.

https://www.logcollegepress.com/library

This is a great list. I would add Patrick Fairbairn, Robert Murray M'Cheyne, Horatius Bonar, Thomas Chalmers, and George Smeaton.

This is a great list. I would add Patrick Fairbairn, Robert Murray M'Cheyne, Horatius Bonar, Thomas Chalmers, and George Smeaton.

My mind inserted American into his post. :oops:

That being the case, I would add John Brown of Haddington, and Edinburgh. Also, I can't believe I forgot W. G. T. Shedd. There is also William Cunningham, James Bannerman, Hugh Martin, Thomas Peck, James Buchanan, and John Dick.

Going back further, there is James Durham, David Dickson, Andrew Gray, Thomas Boston, Ralph and Ebenezer Erskine, Robert Bruce, James Fisher, William Guthrie, Alexander Henderson, Samuel Rutherford, and I could keep going.

Last edited:
No, I have some others. I use them for reference.

EDIT: It's just that I heard good things about Shedd from a sermon by Cairns and I have his book Sermons for the Natural Man. Very powerful.

Shedd is an incredible writer and a powerful thinker. His systematic is excellent but a bit uneven. I also highly recommend his commentary on Romans. It is one of the best, in my opinion. I reach for Shedd and John Brown first when studying Romans.

Last edited:
Let's not forget George Gillespie!

empty-wallet.jpg

A lot of great free books available here: http://reformedbooksonline.com/ (many of which are Presbyterians; the compiler tends to note the denominational affiliation).

I also suggest you make use of whatever libraries you have available. If you're a student, academic libraries often have great inter-library loan options, but even public libraries do as well and can often get you even obscure works at no cost to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back