Presbyterian & Reformed Authors

Status
Not open for further replies.

frog

Puritan Board Freshman
I have always been told to look at authors not just from my tradition (Presbyterian/Reformed), but also from other traditions within Christianity. As such, I have come to understand and appreciate much of John Piper, even though there are many things with which I would be in disagreement with. One thing that is great about Piper is that he has so much written material available to read (books, sermons etc.). He mentions how:
When I was in seminary, a wise professor told me that besides the Bible I should choose one great theologian and apply myself throughout life to understanding and mastering his thought. This way I would sink at least one shaft deep into reality, rather than always dabbling on the surface of things. I might, in time, become this man's peer and know at least one system with which to bring other ideas into fruitful dialogue.
Ironically, I don't currently have any such authors in my tradition to sink into like that. Ideally, the author would have lots of writings for me to read (a complete works or something like that), would be within the Presbyterian and Reformed tradition, and would have a thoroughly developed theology (WCF and more) - e.g. Calvin would be wonderful though his theology is not as fleshed out as the theology presented in the WCF; Bavinck would be fabulous though there are only a few of his writings. I'm interested in an author whose primary focus is on the Bible and theology, not church history, apologetics etc.. They may have writings in this area, though I'm wanting to predominantly focus on Bible and theology.

Question: What author(s) within the Presbyterian and Reformed tradition should I choose to focus on for the rest of my life who: (1) Has many writings to read, (2) has a thoroughly developed theology (WCF and more) and (3) primarily focuses on the Bible and theology.

NB: I think a focus on deceased authors would be preferred. It seems that they would have stood the test of time and as such, would be great people to focus on.

There's plenty of choices, but for me, more and more it's been my avatar. I really resonate with how B.B. Warfield thinks, and he has influenced greatly how the modern "old school" church approaches theology (trying to have a play on words there). He also wrote a lot on the Bible and probably was the single biggest influence on the doctrine of "inerrancy" as it developed.

Calvin would be wonderful though his theology is not as fleshed out as the theology presented in the WCF
Have you read the Institutes, his theological treatises, sermons, commentaries, letters, and catechisms? Calvin has a large corpus.

If I were to devote myself to two theologians for the rest of my life, it would be Calvin and John Owen. I read and reread their material often and find much richness and depth in their writings. There are always new insights that I mine upon reading them.

Besides Owen and Calvin's primary material, there is a large and wonderful corpus of secondary studies. Many men have mined the depths of their theology that you should also read.

Last edited:
I would also encourage you not to read in a Reformed vacuum. Take up and read the Church Fathers and often. I try to read from the Fathers each day. Men like Calvin and Owen drank deeply from their writings.

Calvin was like a walking Patristics encyclopedia. He won debates against Catholics by extensively quoting the Fathers from memory.

Edit: If you are just getting started in your theological training, it would be wise to get a firm foundation of Reformed theology before dipping into the Fathers. My journey was reversed; I started with the Fathers many years ago and ended up Reformed.

Last edited:
I spent five years absorbing Maximus the Confessor and the Cappadocians. I can quote passages from memory.
And while I am generally hostile to Internet Thomists, Thomas Aquinas has done more to shape the architecture of my thought than anyone else.

I heard Sinclair Ferguson once say you should focus on the four Johns: The Apostle, Calvin, Owen, and Murray.

My gut reaction is to suggest you first read a sampling from at least half dozen or so top choices and see who resonates with you. This is a big choice in life, and you want to pick someone you like whose writing speaks to your soul. Do not just go with the one who seems like the top choice intellectually or academically. Pick the one who speaks to your whole person, one who excites you or comforts you, and draws you closer to God.

My gut reaction is to suggest you first read a sampling from at least half dozen or so top choices and see who resonates with you. This is a big choice in life, and you want to pick someone you like whose writing speaks to your soul. Do not just go with the one who seems like the top choice intellectually or academically. Pick the one who speaks to your whole person, one who excites you or comforts you, and draws you closer to God.

I second this. I read that advice from Piper in college and dove into Jonathan Edwards. I mean, I read a lot of Edwards over the past 16 years, but I never got around to reading the foundational and more solid works like Turretin and others. I had some pretty big gaps in my own development as a result

For a choice of theological saturation, there are several criteria.
1. A big enough body of work;
2. Availability;
3. Mainstream, but stimulating;
4. Edifying, not just informative;
5. Safely deceased, without scandal.

Then it's also helpful to do some comparing and contrasting, e.g., everyone can be measured against Turretin to determine their degree of idiosyncrasy.

It's a blessing that there are many who could satisfy those criteria. The below is certainly not a complete list, but you could see if one of them is more compelling and enjoyable to read than another:
1. John Calvin
2. William Perkins
3. Richard Sibbes
4. Thomas Goodwin
5. Thomas Manton
6. John Owen
7. Stephen Charnock
8. Thomas Boston
9. B.B. Warfield
10. Herman Bavinck

Thomas Aquinas has done more to shape the architecture of my thought than anyone else.
I have yet to read anything by Aquinas.

Audible recently released Summa Theologica in four volumes. The narrator seems to be excellent from the preview. I have been attempted to use my credits to obtain these.

I listen to theological lectures and audiobooks while I work. Being that the four volumes total over 220 hours of listening time, I could probably get through them in a few months. I would revisit them with the physical books the second time around.

It is tempting.

(Sorry to derail the thread.)

I have yet to read anything by Aquinas.

Audible recently released Summa Theologica in four volumes. The narrator seems to be excellent from the preview. I have been attempted to use my credits to obtain these.

I listen to theological lectures and audiobooks while I work. Being that the four volumes total over 220 hours of listening time, I could probably get through them in a few months. I would revisit them with the physical books the second time around.

It is tempting.

(Sorry to derail the thread.)
Who is the narrator?

Who is the narrator?
Martyn Swain. If only it were Simon Vance. Swain still sounds good.

I agree that it is a good idea to have certain authors whom you try to read continuously. Among mine are Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin, William Perkins, John Owen, and Thomas Boston. John Colquhoun and J. C. Ryle are beginning to sneak into that category as well. I think it is a good practice to wade through whole sets of works, as it requires a lot of discipline to wade through a lot of material by one author, rather than just skipping from writer to writer. Conversely, it is also good to read a wide range of Reformed authors, as one man generally corrects the errors and excesses of another.

I have always been told to look at authors not just from my tradition (Presbyterian/Reformed), but also from other traditions within Christianity. As such, I have come to understand and appreciate much of John Piper, even though there are many things with which I would be in disagreement with. One thing that is great about Piper is that he has so much written material available to read (books, sermons etc.). He mentions how:

Ironically, I don't currently have any such authors in my tradition to sink into like that. Ideally, the author would have lots of writings for me to read (a complete works or something like that), would be within the Presbyterian and Reformed tradition, and would have a thoroughly developed theology (WCF and more) - e.g. Calvin would be wonderful though his theology is not as fleshed out as the theology presented in the WCF; Bavinck would be fabulous though there are only a few of his writings. I'm interested in an author whose primary focus is on the Bible and theology, not church history, apologetics etc.. They may have writings in this area, though I'm wanting to predominantly focus on Bible and theology.

Question: What author(s) within the Presbyterian and Reformed tradition should I choose to focus on for the rest of my life who: (1) Has many writings to read, (2) has a thoroughly developed theology (WCF and more) and (3) primarily focuses on the Bible and theology.

NB: I think a focus on deceased authors would be preferred. It seems that they would have stood the test of time and as such, would be great people to focus on.
John Calvin above all human authors. Calvin's reverence and mastery of the Bible is unmatched.
I once gave a Pentecostal Pastor my set of Calvin's Institutes(Battles edn), and Calvin really shook him to his bones. He was deeply convicted.....that much I could tell.

This entire thread seems devoted to Piper's opinion, "When I was in seminary, a wise professor told me that besides the Bible I should choose one great theologian and apply myself throughout life to understanding and mastering his thought." I don't think that's valid. While Piper's biographical "lectures" (they are better than mere lectures) are outstanding, he is not an exemplar of learning or theology for me.

I say read widely, go deeper into those who touch your heart and mind, and even be open to newer writers as we are in days where wisdom and discernment in these unparalleled times may be life-saving. In eschatology this is especially true as this is one area of theology that is—by its own nature—being revealed as prophecies can be seen in hindsight or as they are happening; while such are rare, they are nonetheless noteworthy.

There are many wise. As the saying, "A good library is like having a room full of wise friends", a number of such friends are better than only one.

This entire thread seems devoted to Piper's opinion, "When I was in seminary, a wise professor told me that besides the Bible I should choose one great theologian and apply myself throughout life to understanding and mastering his thought." I don't think that's valid. While Piper's biographical "lectures" (they are better than mere lectures) are outstanding, he is not an exemplar of learning or theology for me.

I say read widely, go deeper into those who touch your heart and mind, and even be open to newer writers as we are in days where wisdom and discernment in these unparalleled times may be life-saving. In eschatology this is especially true as this is one area of theology that is—by its own nature—being revealed as prophecies can be seen in hindsight or as they are happening; while such are rare, they are nonetheless noteworthy.

There are many wise. As the saying, "A good library is like having a room full of wise friends", a number of such friends are better than only one.
Agreed. What other discipline would have someone advised to be on such narrow track? Find one attorney, computer scientist, doctor, businessman...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back