Favorite Paintings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMerlin777

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
A question for those here into visual art. What are some of your favorite paintings?

Here are some of mine.

Violin and Guitar - Pablo Picasso
Nighthawks - Edward Hopper
Starry Night - Van Gogh
The Mona Lisa - Leonardo Da Vinci
The Scream - Edvard Munch

Just some of the many I like.
 
hauskrippe_madonna_480.jpg
 
For the classics I like most of Peter Paul Rubens works.
One of my favorites of his is my current avatar: Abraham Meets Melchizedek

For more contemporary art I really like M.C. Escher and some of Salvador Dali's works.
 
Ohhhh..now you've started a great thread. Here's my all-time favorite, The Execution of Lady Jane Grey by Paul Delaroche:

The%20Execution%20of%20Lady%20Jane%20Grey.jpg
 
My favorite painting is van Gogh's Starry Night.

A close second -- and I hesitate to say this b/c it does technically violate the 2nd Commandment -- is Rembrandt's Storm on the Sea of Galilee. It was actually stolen a decade ago and has never been recovered.

No one can go and have a look in my basement, however...:p
 
My favorite artist is William Bouguereau. He was criticized for being "sweet and sentimental" and was overshadowed by the Impressionists, who were just coming to prominence. But his technical ability is unmatched, in my opinion, and his figurative painting is superb. Unfortunately, most of his paintings contain either (non-sexual) nudity, images of Christ, or both. Here is one of my favorites that contains neither, Le Lever:

BGR-104%20Le_Lever.jpg
 
Who is the painter (Velazquez) with the brush, in the painting, looking at?

That is the question in the Velazquez painting?
 

That painting is located less than 2 miles away from me. My wife and I take walks several times/week and often end up near the Huntington library. We are annual members of the Huntington and she frequently does some of her reading in the beautiful gardens.

For my tastes, I prefer Rembrandt.

nb_pinacoteca_rembrandt_a_schola-1.jpg
 
For the classics I like most of Peter Paul Rubens works.
One of my favorites of his is my current avatar: Abraham Meets Melchizedek

For more contemporary art I really like M.C. Escher and some of Salvador Dali's works.

I love to tell this true story about Salvador Dali. Many years ago, when I was visiting the Art Institute in Chicago, I stopped on my way out to look at the Salvador Dali paintings. At the time, I did not know who he was, nor did I (or do I now) care for his paintings. As I looked at the paintings a gentleman came up and stood behind me. Eventually, he tapped me on the shoulder. When I turned to look at him, I noticed he had a very interesting moustache. He asked me what I thought of the paintings. I replied, "They are good--for what they are." He said nothing, but continued to stand there and look at the paintings.

I looked for a few more moments and then made my leave. A young man chased me down as I was leaving the room. He said, "Do you know who you were talking to?" "No," I said. "That--was Salvador Dali. He is teaching a class here this week."

By the way, I am huge fan of the pre-Raphelites and Monet.
 
Oh come on y'all! I know you are all big Thomas Kinkade fans.:p
Personally, I like some of Dali's work. However, Rembrandt is my favorite. Also a fan of the Impressionists.
 
Ohhhh..now you've started a great thread. Here's my all-time favorite, The Execution of Lady Jane Grey by Paul Delaroche:

I'm surprised at how emotionally moved I am by that painting. :(

Try seeing it in person (National Gallery, London)...it's definitely one of the most moving works I've seen. Lady Jane Grey was a champion of the Reformed faith in England. You can see this painting and then head up to the British Library to see and read original letters she wrote - amazing faith and theological insight, especially for a 17 year old!
 
Ohhhh..now you've started a great thread. Here's my all-time favorite, The Execution of Lady Jane Grey by Paul Delaroche:

The%20Execution%20of%20Lady%20Jane%20Grey.jpg

Please, what's the story behind this? (I'm sure I can "google" it, but I'd like to hear you tell it.)



Let's see if I can remember it from memory.....

Jane Grey was the daughter of one of the English nobility and 3rd or 4th (?) in line for the crown, being a cousin of Edward, the son of Henry VIII, and like him, was Reformed. She was highly educated and mentored by some of the early English reformers and was forced into a political marriage with (can't remember his first name) Dudley, and when the frail Edward died, she was elevated to the throne rather than Edward's half sister, Mary, of "Bloody Mary" infamy with the expectation that Dudley would be the real ruler. There was quite a bit of political infighting and after a period of only nine days, Mary seized power, arresting both Jane and her husband for high treason. They were both sent to the Tower of London - Jane was housed in a suite of rooms there and permitted two women companions. She was imprisoned for a little more than a year during which time she was constantly harrassed by agents of Mary and the Catholic church to recant her Reformed beliefs and return to Rome with the guarantee that her life would be spared if she did. At one time she was interrogated by a panel of Catholic clergy and admirably stood up to their questioning.

In the end, she was beheaded. The picture shows how, while blindfolded, she groped for the chopping block and had to be shown where it was.

Lady Jane Grey was executed in February (?) of 1555. She was several months past her 17th birthday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top