Favorite (Preferably Nerdy!) Board Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
We played enough spades and hearts in law school and undergrad to burn me out on cards. Then my wife decided she wanted to take up duplicate bridge. OUCH! :D

I've been curious about that game. I know it is more complex, but is it any more challenging?
Played it twice, I think.

Once the complex rules are learned, they become intuitive quickly (I was seventh grade I think when I got it). The game, as I recall, is challenging and based on the known dynamics of Nato vs. Warsaw pact. They used a computer model as well. Tactical nukes are allowable after a certain point but with a stiff penalty as I recall. Logistical lines are needed for supplies. Paratroopers, tanks, artillery, and infantry, and some naval (I think)--mostly land war (Germany/Poland/Denmark). Air power mechanics is streamlined. Nato, of course, is outnumbered but has tactically superior equipment and movement.

I've never found anyone since high school geeky enough to play it again. I'm hoping my daughter will in ten years!

"The pens in my pocket I must protect 'em; my ergonomic keyboard never leaves me bored..."

"I'm nerdy in the extreme and whiter than sour cream, I was in AV club and Glee club and even the chess team . . ." Aaaa, you made me watch that video again. It makes me laugh every time.

Haha! Yes! When I was in highschool, a friend and I hosted a mock pageant for our school and entered the room from opposite doors to White and Nerdy; we were fully nerdified, if I do say so myself. And...I'm kind of tempted to watch the music video because you mentioned it...

I've been curious about that game. I know it is more complex, but is it any more challenging?
Played it twice, I think.

Once the complex rules are learned, they become intuitive quickly (I was seventh grade I think when I got it). The game, as I recall, is challenging and based on the known dynamics of Nato vs. Warsaw pact. They used a computer model as well. Tactical nukes are allowable after a certain point but with a stiff penalty as I recall. Logistical lines are needed for supplies. Paratroopers, tanks, artillery, and infantry, and some naval (I think)--mostly land war (Germany/Poland/Denmark). Air power mechanics is streamlined. Nato, of course, is outnumbered but has tactically superior equipment and movement.

I've never found anyone since high school geeky enough to play it again. I'm hoping my daughter will in ten years!

Both of you might really want to check out Twilight Struggle. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12333/twilight-struggle It has smooth mechanics, a rich cold war theme, including nuclear war, coups, CIA/KGB mischief, and a variety of key events of the Cold War. The theme is explicitly based on domino theory being reality within the game. It's asymmetrical 2 player goodness.

I've never played a game that I've loved more and more when I lose, and I've lost 20 out of 21 times to my best friend. It is rated #1 and thoroughly deserves that ranking.

In the past few years I've been introduced to a few really good board games and have grown to really love them. What are some of your favorites? I'm especially interested in finding out which nerdy board games all my brothers and sisters on the PuritanBoard love, seeing as nobody loves nerdy board games like nerdy Christians! Points will be awarded to the person who is into the nerdiest game. I'm a big fan of the Settlers of Catan, Dominion, and a game called Stone Age.

Oh my goodness. The moment I read "Settlers of Catan," I went "Oh no!!". XD My sister has that one (she's an engineer) and she was pestering me for months and months to play that one until I was pretty much forced to on vacation this summer. ~lol~

In the past few years I've been introduced to a few really good board games and have grown to really love them. What are some of your favorites? I'm especially interested in finding out which nerdy board games all my brothers and sisters on the PuritanBoard love, seeing as nobody loves nerdy board games like nerdy Christians! Points will be awarded to the person who is into the nerdiest game. I'm a big fan of the Settlers of Catan, Dominion, and a game called Stone Age.

Oh my goodness. The moment I read "Settlers of Catan," I went "Oh no!!". XD My sister has that one (she's an engineer) and she was pestering me for months and months to play that one until I was pretty much forced to on vacation this summer. ~lol~

Shannon please tell me you enjoyed it! It's a fantastic game!

I love risk, me and my friend Matt play and one time we played with his dad and it got really heated. I JUST WANTED ASIA. I got mad when they attacked me and commited suicide. I lost but he lost worse lol.

Do NOT check out Twilight Struggle! It is highly habit forming! My wife got it for me as an early Christmas present and it is dangerous. My son and I were up past midnight yesterday and couldn't stop! He (the USSR) had me on the ropes early with 18 VPS but I was able to inch my way back. Then, on the penultimate turn I played 'Chernobyl' on the first round followed by 'Solidarity' on the second and was on my way to complete European control. I would have succeeded but at the last minute he played 'The Reformer' followed by 'Glasnost' and crushed my efforts in Poland. From there it was all downhill for the US I am afraid as I had let Central and South America go. I guess I am no Reagan.

Glad this thread was brought back to life. My brother gave me Carcassonne for my Birthday and I am LOVING it. Thank you for recommending it!

I'm asking for Race for the Galaxy and Pandemic for Christmas. We love Puerto Rico and Settlers of Catan, but it has been hard to find other people to play with. We need some good games that can be played with two players.

Agricola is a very good two player game. I also hear the two player variant for Race for the Galaxy is also very good. Pandemic is not that great for two players unless each player operates at least two roles.

Here's probably the best review of Twilight Struggle I've seen: Baby, It’s Cold Outside – A Twilight Struggle Review | Dice Hate Me

This is Twilight Struggle's 2 hour brother: 1960: The Making of the President | Board Game | BoardGameGeek This one's a really enjoyable foray into the 1960 Presidential election, with debates, elections shennangians, media endorsements, and key events.

For an epic game that will consume an entire dining room table, takes a little while to learn but flow smoothly after that, that defines epic theme, and is quite beautiful I heartily recommend War of the Ring, which has recently been reprinted:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9609/war-of-the-ring The LOTR theme and art are from the books, not the films, and the tension between the military conflict and the battle over the One Ring is quite well done. It's been 5 years since I've played this and I've sorely missed not taking advantage of the chance to buy a copy before it went out of print. But on the upside, the reprint looks like it'll smooth out some rough edges from the 1st edition.

1st play is usually 4-5 hours, 2nd 3-4, and thereafter it's just 3.

Here's probably the best review of Twilight Struggle I've seen: Baby, It’s Cold Outside – A Twilight Struggle Review | Dice Hate Me

From the review:

Judging this category is difficult for Twilight Struggle. Is the game fun? In the traditional sense - where you all sit around and laugh at the misfortune of Johnny Adderall or the silly answer that your Aunt Sally gave in Trivial Pursuit - Twilight Struggle can't even register on the same scale. The game is an entirely different animal; the fun in reenacting the Cold War lies in the experience and the thrill of matching wits with a wily and often devastatingly offensive opponent. Much of the fun comes in the long, detailed analysis in which you and your opponent will engage after the battle is long over. Despite the long conflict and sometimes-fatigue-inducing gameplay, even the most devastating defeat will leave you clamoring for more. That's not addiction, or hubris - that, my friends, is pure, unbridled love for a game and of The Game. Nothing can be more fun than that.

Agricola is a very good two player game. I also hear the two player variant for Race for the Galaxy is also very good. Pandemic is not that great for two players unless each player operates at least two roles.

Thanks for the feedback! I saw that only 10% of respondents did not recommend Pandemic for two players on BoardGameGeek (the same percentage as Agricola, incidentally), so I thought we'd give it a shot.

Puerto Rico
YES!!!
Love that game, you win. LOL.

Chris, we'll have to play Puerto Rico sometime when I'm in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back