Favourite Biography?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is good, though a bit depressing due to Mr. Brainerd's "melancholy" personality.
Amazon.com: The Life and Diary of David Brainerd (9780548122822): Jonathan…

My favorites are the old biographies of various Scottish covenanters--usually ancient hardbound volumes that I find in our bookshelves or in friends' bookshelves.

Last Sabbath I picked up a biography of Duncan Matheson, (http://www.amazon.com/Labors-Duncan...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279224475&sr=1-1) and it was excellent. Looking forward to the next time we visit that family, so that I can finish it. :)

Another one I really liked was the biography of Neil Cameron, though the best part is the beginning, which he wrote himself. The end (written by Rev. D. Beaton) is not as interesting. Out of print, but available here: http://www.amazon.com/biographical-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279224568&sr=1-1

Other good ones that I've not yet finished--Ministers and Men of the Far North by Rev. A. Auld (out of print) and Scots Worthies by John Howe, still available: http://www.amazon.com/Scots-Worthie...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279224663&sr=1-1. Both are collections of short biographies of various people, some martyred for their faith.

Do not get or try to read "I will sleep when I am dead" Warren Zevon.....I tried but it was horrible.

I do love Werewolves of London though.

I can 2nd, or 3rd (or wherever we are) the Edwards on Brainerd; Muether on Van Till; and the Marsden on Edwards; biographies. I'd add the series that John Piper has done with three or so biographies in each book. While too short to give an in-depth treatment, they make a good reflection to read in that time before going to sleep.

I enjoyed Through Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth Elliot. Plan next month to start Journals of Jim Elliot.

Here are the books Jean is referring to.
John Piper took some of his biographical sketches he did during his Pastor's Conferences and put them into books. They are wonderful.

The Legacy of Sovereign Joy: God's Triumphant Grace in the Lives of Augustine, Luther, and Calvin

The Hidden Smile of God: The Fruit of Affliction in the Lives of John Bunyan, William Cowper, and David Brainerd (The Swans Are Not Silent, 2)

The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce (Piper, John, Swans Are Not Silent, V. 3.)

Filling Up the Afflictions of Christ: The Cost of Bringing the Gospel to the Nations in the Lives of William Tyndale, Adoniram Judson, and John Paton (The Swans Are Not Silent)

Contending for Our All: Defending Truth and Treasuring Christ in the Lives of Athanasius, John Owen, and J. Gresham Machen (The Swans Are Not Silent, Book 4)

I also highly recommend Arnold Dallimore's 2 vol. set on George Whitefield.

I am Reading a biography titled Our Covenant Heritage by Edwin Nisbet Moore. It is awesome.

This is my next biographical work I will be reading...
The Scots Worthies by John Howie This is a book of Mini-biographies of Christian heroes in Scotland from the 1520s to the "killing times" of the 1680s. First published, 1870. Illustrations.

John G. Paton. Far and away the best (auto)biography I have read (though I haven't read many). This man had a zeal and passion for Christ that I find very challenging. A very godly man, to say the least! Get the Banner of Truth edition if you are able!

My next son's middle name will be "Paton", if the Lord gives me another son. That's how much it impacted me.

I'd not heard of him before so went to amazon to check him out. There is a bio and also an autobio. Which did you read. It really looks like a good one! What so specially impressed you Taylor?
Thanks

BTW, if you've not read George Mueller of Bristol by Pierson you've truly missed a great book!! Your faith and trust will be forever changed!

Samuel Rutherford - Andrew Thomson - Free Presbyterian Publications
William Tyndale - David Daniell - Yale University Press
The Life of John Knox - Thomas M'Crie - Free Presbyterian Publications
J. Gresham Machen - Ned B. Stonehouse - Banner of Truth
Life of John Murray - Iain Murray - Banner of Truth
Diary of Kenneth MacRae - Iain Murray - Banner of Truth

John G. Paton. Far and away the best (auto)biography I have read (though I haven't read many). This man had a zeal and passion for Christ that I find very challenging. A very godly man, to say the least! Get the Banner of Truth edition if you are able!

:agree:

Best one I have ever read!!!!

Nathan Hutain
Baptist
Little Rock, Ar

I have started to read The Life of John Newton by Josiah Bull. It's good so far but I'm only on page 46.

Jonathan Edwards: A Life by George Marsden stands atop my list.
But these works were really enjoyable as well:
Martyn-LLoyd Jones 2 Volumes by Iain Murray
Legacy of Sovereign Joy by John Piper
Wonder O' the Wind by Phillip Keller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back