Another “Favourite Books List” Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you choose Calvin over others who have penned relatively similar books, albeit with their own emphases?

I’m not saying anyone’s books are better or worse than Calvin’s; I’m just curious why the Institutes and not some other large theological tome.
I just can't think of another theological work that rivals the Institutes.

If you could only have five (5) books/works, in addition to the Bible, for the rest of your life, what would they be?

I’d like to get your thoughts on what books are of lasting value, that can be revisited again and again and again throughout life.

I’m also interested in seeing the various topics these books may cover.

Feel free to add why you chose each one.

Thanks.
Bavinck's Dogmatics - Enough good theology and philosophy to keep one busy for a lifetime

City of God by Augustine - Contains almost an entire liberal education

A Brakel's The Christian's Reasonable Service - Very helpful, especially on experimental subjects

Gill's commentaries - Best commentary set I know of by one author

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky - It's a lot of fun, is very insightful, and one needs a break from reading theological works sometimes

If you could only have five (5) books/works, in addition to the Bible, for the rest of your life, what would they be?

I’d like to get your thoughts on what books are of lasting value, that can be revisited again and again and again throughout life.

I’m also interested in seeing the various topics these books may cover.

Feel free to add why you chose each one.

Thanks.
Mere Christianity
Knowing God
Cross of Christ
Bondage of the Will
Institutes by Calvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back