Firefox 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Puritan Board Senior
I'm about to take the new Firefox out for a test drive. If you've already had a chance to do so I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts...
 
I hope the release is better than the late beta. By beta 9 I got so frustrated, I switched to Chrome.
 
I've been using Chrome almost exclusively for the past year and aside from a couple issues [since fixed] with the icons in my bookmarks bar I have been really satisfied with it. I'm pretty much just interested in checking out what improvements might be in store on the FF end. I like the more minimal approach but Chrome already has that down nicely. FF4 is supposedly quicker but I'm a little skeptical right of the bat.
 
I am a new convert to Chrome... Love it. I used to be a Firefox follower, but Chrome wins out for me... :)
 
I suppose this should be somewhat expected but most of the add ons are not compatible with the new version. Frustrating part is that on Mozilla's add on page there doesn't seem to be a way to refine your search to 4.0 compatible results. The sidebar options let your narrow down to All Versions, 3.6, 3.5, and 3.0. So basically you have to go through everything one by one. Not sure I have the patience for that right now.
 
I like Chrome, but what I thought was "minimal" isn't quite so minimal. The total memory usage by all the processes that Chrome initiates when you start it isn't much less than the bloated Firefox 3 (which is the main reason I switched to Chrome)...
 
I loved Firefox, but the 3.6 Update didn't have "there is a processor use limit for you" wired into it. Had to switch to Chrome because it would freeze my computer for hours at a time.

I'm hoping Firefox 4 fixed that problem.
 
I like Chrome, but what I thought was "minimal" isn't quite so minimal. The total memory usage by all the processes that Chrome initiates when you start it isn't much less than the bloated Firefox 3 (which is the main reason I switched to Chrome)...

Fair point. But just to clarify, by "minimal" I was referring to presentation. Chrome has proved to be less cluttered and provides more screen space.
 
I like Chrome, but what I thought was "minimal" isn't quite so minimal. The total memory usage by all the processes that Chrome initiates when you start it isn't much less than the bloated Firefox 3 (which is the main reason I switched to Chrome)...

Fair point. But just to clarify, by "minimal" I was referring to presentation. Chrome has proved to be less cluttered and provides more screen space.

Agreed... which is why I also like Chrome better. I do find some of the configuration steps harder than they need to be in Chrome, but overall it is very nice. (I've heard some people talk about RockMelt as a good alternative) . I just recall when Chrome came out a lot of the issues that drove people to it from Firefox were the memory issues with Firefox (and claims that Chrome was a lot 'lighter').
 
okay, I went and got the chrome because all of you said you liked it. How can I get easy access to my bookmarks without having to click 3 times to get there? And how do I get a toolbar of my very favorite links on the browser?

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Nevermind, I just found it. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top