For Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
These guys rock - the USMC Silent Drill Platoon, at a Denver Nuggets game in 2007:

[video=youtube;Y90UPLLo6nY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y90UPLLo6nY[/video]
 
They're really good. I don't mean to seem less than enthusiastic but I've seen the evening parade so many times that it's not quite the thrill it once was. I'll probably be living in VA this Summer again. If I do, I'll try to get some of you up to see the 8th & I Evening Parade. It's pretty cool. You'll be too overawed by it to notice that it doesn't wow me like it used to.
 
By the way, all these young Marines are on their first Enlistment. The average age of those Marines is probably 19 years old.
 
By the way, all these young Marines are on their first Enlistment. The average age of those Marines is probably 19 years old.

They're not just entertaining, of course. Those Marines are a good advertisement for the USMC, and a good reminder to people - even at a basketball game - that there are many young men and women out there who are busy defending our country.
 
wow! my daughter and I just watched this - what an amazing example of flawless execution! - I may show this at our next management council meeting...absolutely outstanding.

Rich, shame on you for becoming so jaded! ;)
 
wow! my daughter and I just watched this - what an amazing example of flawless execution! - I may show this at our next management council meeting...absolutely outstanding.

Rich, shame on you for becoming so jaded! ;)

Sorry. It's hard work. I appreciate it but I also see Marines doing things every day that are more sacrificial then getting really good at spinning rifles.

The hardest work that is done at the Evening Parade is actually the unit staff that has to stand for a few hours at a time. I had a friend who was the Commander of Troops at 8th and I and he said that it was the most painful job he ever had. Imagine being in D.C. on a summer night with a wool coat on and standing for a couple of hours at attention while bugs are gnawing at you.
 
Sorry. It's hard work. I appreciate it but I also see Marines doing things every day that are more sacrificial then getting really good at spinning rifles.

The hardest work that is done at the Evening Parade is actually the unit staff that has to stand for a few hours at a time. I had a friend who was the Commander of Troops at 8th and I and he said that it was the most painful job he ever had. Imagine being in D.C. on a summer night with a wool coat on and standing for a couple of hours at attention while bugs are gnawing at you.

I get your point - I guess what I appreciate about both the parade ground exercises and this additional example is the incredible discipline, commitment to excellence and flawless execution these activities demonstrate.

Traits sadly lacking in our culture today - turns boys into men - a point Dr. Mohler made last night at the Men's rally when he bemoaned the fact we have no universal compulsory military requirement.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top