Free software to remove computer system junk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone use free online software to remove computer system junk and/or help your computer run more efficiently? If so what are your recommendations? Thanks.

I've used the free version of CCleaner for years, and found it serviceable enough. Maybe there's something better out there now, though. Usually is.

Does anyone use free online software to remove computer system junk and/or help your computer run more efficiently? If so what are your recommendations? Thanks

Be careful! There's loads of this kind of software out there that in the end turns out to be more like a virus than I computer repair app. I've given up on all of them. Of course I'm no authority on the subject, I just stick with Norton to do whatever it is able to do.

Does anyone use free online software to remove computer system junk and/or help your computer run more efficiently? If so what are your recommendations? Thanks.
Delete any and all cat related info (photos, videos, cat blog drafts, etc.), that usually cleans off all the junk and should increase efficiency.:rofl:

CCleaner, Malware Bytes, Spybot S&D. (Use all 3)

Cleaning any McAfee off your machine can be a big help. It turns into more of a virus than a virus preventer. If it's a Win7 or Win10 machine, use the available Microsoft virus solution for much lower resource overhead.

Adding NoScript, Ghostery, and Ad Block Plus to your browser adds safety and security, but can make many sites unuseable, since many sites now come complete with lots of trackers and spyware.

Delete any and all cat related info (photos, videos, cat blog drafts, etc.), that usually cleans off all the junk and should increase efficiency.:rofl:
Good brother you seem to have trouble with logical 'cat'egories :) My sermon mp3's take a lot more space than my cat photos. Also dogs like more water than cats. Therefore dogs are more comfortable with the 1689 Baptist Confession whereas cats prefer the comments on sprinkling of the WCF. Therefore I look forward to you changing your loyalty to cats given their love of the Westminster Standards. :rofl:

I'm assuming you keep your software and operating system updated and have firewalls in place?

I agree McAfee can be a pain, but you don't have to use all its features. I like that it pops up now and again with info about cookies, trackers, and dead-end files that can be deleted.

I've used CCleaner and Malware Bytes when I've had any concerns, but I don't leave them on my machine after scanning and removing junk. Now that I keep all my data offsite and very little stored on my native hard drives, I don't seem to have as many problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back