Gas Prices!!! Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the OP just because the picture made me laugh when I saw it.

:eek: I was just trying to share a laugh. Didn't expect all this!

:lol:

Well, ya know how it is. You spend all that time planning and thinking about your thread. Then it is concieved. You nurture it and sustain it through the early times. Then you have to let it go into the cold cruel world and who knows where it will end up. :lol:

I drive easy, no abrupt starts / stops, I'm doing the speed limit (or a little less), and no A.C. It's actually kinda fun, I like the challenge.

It's funny how things come around. I was doing the same thing during the first big gas crisis in the 70s. I was 2500 miles from home on a road trip when gas went from $0.43 per gallon (Montana) to over a dollar a gallon on the east coast in something like two weeks. I had about $120 on me and no credit card.

But that 1973 Subaru got 44 mpg without trying, and I pushed her up to 60 mpg on the trip home by driving steadily around 50 mph. It also had a 17 gallon tank if you pushed it to fumes. 1000+ miles a tank (and 20 hours or so of driving per fill up). By the time I got to Nebraska I felt like I could live it up and start buying things like food.

Ever since, even in good times, I mostly practiced what they call hypermiling. I used to get 49 mpg in a Chevy Celebrity on the highway. But on the I5 corridor it's impossible. Speeds range from 5 mph to 70 mph in the space of a few miles. Really wrecks the whole scheme.

I've been wondering myself - how likely I am to continue driving this way after (if) the current gas crunch goes away? If I do continue, will that make me officially middle-aged? :cool:

I kind of like the pace and it's somewhat amusing to watch other people who speed past me, only to stop at the red light that I'm pacing myself to reach right when it turns green. When the light turns green they race off, just so they can be first in line to be stopped at the next light and have to wait again.

Don't they realize that when you're doing 0mph that you're getting 0mpg? :lol:

Oh yeah, the OP...Regular was $3.87 / Gal. here today. :rolleyes:

I did the OP just because the picture made me laugh when I saw it.

:eek: I was just trying to share a laugh. Didn't expect all this!

:lol:

Well, ya know how it is. You spend all that time planning and thinking about your thread. Then it is concieved. You nurture it and sustain it through the early times. Then you have to let it go into the cold cruel world and who knows where it will end up. :lol:

Yeah, no kidding.

Mosey on over to the http://www.puritanboard.com/f24/puritan-swimwear-35324/ thread sometime. I though that was going to be a short, sweet little thread. Boy! That one got away from me real quick! :lol:

I've been wondering myself - how likely I am to continue driving this way after (if) the current gas crunch goes away? If I do continue, will that make me officially middle-aged? :cool:

I committed to the long term use of hypermiling...and I'm already middle-aged and like it.

Love it how when the oil price goes up a tiny bit, gas prices go way up... and then when oil prices go down (18% down since the high, today; $119 vs $146) gas prices don't follow suit anywhere near as MUCH or as FAST. Maybe, oh, just maybe, gas prices have nothing to do with oil prices?

One week ago, we paid $3.37 gallon in New Jersey (outside Philadelphia). Curiously, this was also full service.

Gasoline has dropped .50 gallon locally in about 4 weeks. This is because:
1) drivers reduced driving (supply/demand economics)
2) The market thinks there will be some longer term new supply by lifting the federal ban on state offshore drilling, coal shale development, etc.

The supply is there. We only need the resolve to let the market get it for us.

$3.63 just across the border in Illinois. I live in Wisconsin, but I'm about two miles north of the Illinois/Wisconsin border.

One station was at $3.57 a few days ago. Now it's at 4.05. GIVE ME A BREAK! There is no way that's not gouging!

If it's gouging, then there is a massive opportunity to profit for the station down the street who doesn't gouge.

But, I'm very, very concerned any time the law decides what is and is not a "reasonable" price for anything. Not only is it not the job of the law, but it opens a very large can of worms. Next time I want to sell a vehicle, or anything else I own, will the government have expanded their power to then tell me what is too much to charge? The way I see it, any property owner can advertise their property for sale for any price they like, and there should be no repercussions on them - natural disaster or not.

It did, at least here. There are two stations near me - one was at $4.90 with no business, and one at $3.60 with 10 cars waiting at each pump yesterday.

Though, I'm sure there are some places where all the stations raised prices significantly. In my mind, they are all fully within their rights to do that.

Unfortunately, what would keep some of that in check (if "unreasonable" prices really are there, which I don't admit) is the ability for someone to quickly enter the industry, sell for less, and take all the business from the greedy guys. But, there are way too many barriers to entry for that free-market mechanism to work.

The price of oil per barrel is lower now than it's been 5-6 months! Prices need to get down now to at least $3/gallon!

North Dakota Oil Boom Is Bittersweet - AOL Money & Finance

They struck oil in North Dakota, maybe now they will build some new processing plants around the country so that the price can begin to go back down some and so that we are less reliant on other countries. It will probably take some years for that to happen, as it will take years to get the plants built and up in running..but hey, it's a start.

PuritanBouncer;

The price of oil per barrel is lower now than it's been 5-6 months! Prices need to get down now to at least $3/gallon!

It won't go down for awhile, because there are VERY few processing plants, and most of the ones here in the states are along the Gulf Coast, so when these hurricanes come up through the Gulf of Mexico they have to close them all down, and no gasoline is being produced, so they have to draw off the reserves and the cost goes up.

So until the government approves the building of new processing plants around the country it will stay high. Maybe now that they've struck oil in the Dakota's that will change..

Price for regular jumped 25 cents overnight in anticipation of Ike effects. Many folks topping off their tanks Friday and Saturday had a number of stations out of regular. I heard the refineries in Houston area will be off-line for another week. That's not gonna help.

I got gas for $2.79 the other day. Saw it go as low as $2.76.

It's consistently $2.89-$2.99 here.

My father says from what he's seen, this is only the beginning. It's supposed to plummet much lower for whatever reason.

This is nice because we bugeted $5.00/gallon to go on our honeymoon. We will be way under budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back