Genesis resources

Discussion in 'OT Historical Books' started by Reformed Bookworm, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed Bookworm

Reformed Bookworm Puritan Board Sophomore

I updated the resource list to include Gordon Wenham, Nahum Sarna, Melancthon W. Jacobus, and Allen Ross. I am wrestling with adding U. Cassuto, HC Leupold, Henry Alford, or Waltke. I know most on here will say Waltke. I am not sure that Waltke would be necessary with the other commentaries in my primary list.

As far as a Jewish perspective goes, Would U. Cassuto be necessary with Nahum Sarna? Cassuto has been on my list for some time.

I would also like to add one more Patristic resource. I am deciding between Augustin or Chrysostom. Eventually, I will add both.

Has anyone on here worked through Andrew Fuller's series on Genesis? Spurgeon thought very highly of it.

If I get serious about doing academic work in Genesis, I will add most of the resources that I am on the fence about.

I am still lacking on monographs and journal articles by scholars.

2. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritan Board Doctor

He's a classic. I don't know if he replaces Sarna, but Cassuto on the documentary hypothesis is a must read.
    Chrysostom is a better communicator and probably closer to the text. Unlike Augustine, Chrysostom knew Greek and could at least interact with the LXX. I doubt he knew Hebrew. Augustine certainly didn't.
    The best thing is to go by topic/chapter, rather than start collecting en masse. Because I hold to the supernatural worldview of Genesis 6, and I wanted to defend it, I found quite a few monographs on Genesis 6. If you truly seek in the monograph field, you will find.

3. Reformed Bookworm

All good points. Thanks as always, brother.

4. Reformed Bookworm

Has anyone read T. Desmond Alexander's - "From Paradise to the Promised Land?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.