Genesis resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated the resource list to include Gordon Wenham, Nahum Sarna, Melancthon W. Jacobus, and Allen Ross. I am wrestling with adding U. Cassuto, HC Leupold, Henry Alford, or Waltke. I know most on here will say Waltke. I am not sure that Waltke would be necessary with the other commentaries in my primary list.

As far as a Jewish perspective goes, Would U. Cassuto be necessary with Nahum Sarna? Cassuto has been on my list for some time.

I would also like to add one more Patristic resource. I am deciding between Augustin or Chrysostom. Eventually, I will add both.

Has anyone on here worked through Andrew Fuller's series on Genesis? Spurgeon thought very highly of it.

If I get serious about doing academic work in Genesis, I will add most of the resources that I am on the fence about.

I am still lacking on monographs and journal articles by scholars.

As far as a Jewish perspective goes, Would U. Cassuto be necessary with Nahum Sarna? Cassuto has been on my list for some time.

He's a classic. I don't know if he replaces Sarna, but Cassuto on the documentary hypothesis is a must read.
I would also like to add one more Patristic resource. I am deciding between Augustin or Chrysostom. Eventually, I will add both.

Chrysostom is a better communicator and probably closer to the text. Unlike Augustine, Chrysostom knew Greek and could at least interact with the LXX. I doubt he knew Hebrew. Augustine certainly didn't.
I am still lacking on monographs and journal articles by scholars.

The best thing is to go by topic/chapter, rather than start collecting en masse. Because I hold to the supernatural worldview of Genesis 6, and I wanted to defend it, I found quite a few monographs on Genesis 6. If you truly seek in the monograph field, you will find.

He's a classic. I don't know if he replaces Sarna, but Cassuto on the documentary hypothesis is a must read.

Chrysostom is a better communicator and probably closer to the text. Unlike Augustine, Chrysostom knew Greek and could at least interact with the LXX. I doubt he knew Hebrew. Augustine certainly didn't.

The best thing is to go by topic/chapter, rather than start collecting en masse. Because I hold to the supernatural worldview of Genesis 6, and I wanted to defend it, I found quite a few monographs on Genesis 6. If you truly seek in the monograph field, you will find.

All good points. Thanks as always, brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back