Here is the method that I typically use in studying an issue such as this. On the one side, it is good to be skeptical of government and corporations that stand to profit from convincing the public that something is good for us. On the other hand there are a lot of charlatans that are motivated by the same sin of greed and try to sell you something that doesn't work even though they may claim that it is based on "science". The point that I am making is that I think that skepticism of both sides of an issue is healthy.
As a husband and a father, I take seriously the call to be the protector of my family so I do my best not to make a bad and uninformed decision in regard to matters such as this. I would hope that no matter where you come down on this issue that you are not basing your opinion on blind trust in any authority or smooth talker. It is a good idea to be familiar with logical fallacies before doing your research. It takes time to research an issue and my suggestion is to find those facts that both sides of the issue agree on and make an informed decision based on these facts. If need be, dig a little deeper on a few key facts surrounding the subject and see if you can find respected publications that corroborate said claims. Many times you will find the scientific community contradicting themselves when you compare the dumb-downed story that is given to the public for mass consumption and the detailed scientific literature.
A classic illustration of this is on the issue of evolution. Although there are many aspects of evolution that can illustrate this point, I will only deal with one. Both creationists and evolutionists agree that there are billions of dead things buried in layers of rock. Evolutionists claim that these layers were laid out over millions, if not billions of years. Creationists claim that the global flood is the best explanation for the geologic column. One key fact that creationists insist should be hard for an evolutionist to explain is the fact that the vast majority of the geologic column consist of flat knife edged layers throughout the entire column. The question that needs to be asked is, where is all the signs of water and wind erosion between the layers? Take one look at the Grand Canyon, as far as the eye can see are straight, knife edged layers. The only way that the evolutionist could be right with his assertion, is that if after each layer was laid out that there was no wind or rain for millions of years. Another related fact is that trees and other large artifacts have been found fossilized passing through multiple layers, these are called polystrate fossils. Are we to assume that thousands if not millions of years passed without these trees rotting while the layers piled up around them?
As a presuppositionalist, I typically deal with the philosophical question of what would have to be true in order for argumentation itself to be intelligible before proceeding to examples that ought to embarrass unbelieving thought but Christians need to stop being so intellectually lazy with this as with any other issue.
Now full circle back to the issue of GMO foods. First off, after many years of researching the radical corruption that governments and corporations, including our own, have been found guilty of, it has left a very bad taste in my mouth and I have become radically skeptical of any of their inventions that they try to sell us as being “good” for us. So in case you are wondering, this is why I might come off as being conspiratorial but after reading the primary documents themselves of grotesque experimentation on humans (MK-ULTRA, Operation Paperclip, Operation Teapot, Project Bluebird/Artichoke, Tuskegee), the overthrowing democratically elected officials to set up puppet governments (Operation AJAX/Iran, which was the rationale the “radical” Muslims gave for the Iranian hostage crisis in 1979-81), false flag operations to get us into wars for the benefit of the Military/Industrial Complex (Gulf of Tonkin Incident/Vietnam) to name only a few, you should understand why I have very little trust that those government officials and those corporations that have willingly participated in these operations have our best interest at heart when it comes to our health and well-being. Now in regard to GMO foods, I must admit that I have not fully researched this subject enough but there are only so many hours in the day and with the inception of the internet age, we are being bombarded with so much information and disinformation that it is hard to wade through every single issue with meticulous scrutiny, so I typically choose to err on the side of caution and not participate in the latest scientific fads until I have had a chance to make an informed decision on a matter. I have heard that most European countries have banned GMO for many of the same reasons mentioned in these documentaries so there does seem to be some scientific evidence exposing the dangers of GMO foods and that some countries have found it prudent to ban their use.
The speculation around the conspiracy circles is that the GMO foods may alter our genetic make-up (which I admit seems to be far-fetched) to make us more vulnerable to certain biological attacks and that certain viruses may be given to us in a dormant form through hidden elements in our vaccines (a little more believable). I am not saying I believe any of this but after witnessing what happened last century and after reading through the national security archives of what some people in power are capable of, I believe that an open and public debate on this subject needs to be started. As for me and my house, we are avoiding GMO’s and encourage others to do their own research and draw their own conclusions.
For those of you that have already determined to try and avoid GMO's, the food items that I have heard have a high likelihood of being GMO are: corn, soy, canola/rapeseed and cottonseed products. The bad thing is, almost all processed foods have one or more of these ingredients.
So the lesson for today is, questioning the existence of God is unintelligible but questioning all other authorities is intelligent and encouraged.