God without passions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrath, love, etc., are not "feelings," "affections," or "dispositions" when predicated of God. They are decreed relations and actions.

Matthew, if love or goodness is an attribute of God, is that any different to other "feelings" we ascribe to God, and if so in what way?

Matthew, if love or goodness is an attribute of God, is that any different to other "feelings" we ascribe to God, and if so in what way?

These are not transitory or responsive like affections, emotions, or feelings, and so they are classified as "perfections." Traditional theism understands these attributes as God Himself, not something secondary which He possesses. God is love, God is goodness, God is wisdom, God is power, etc. This is usually stated by saying that these attributes are in God "essentially."

Matt, I too am no theologian.
But if we turn this discussion around, and realize that being made in the "image of God", we are partakers, to a limited extent in our carnal bodies, of His attributes, what a blessing He has bestowed on us. Or am I off the mark?

Rev. Winzer, thoughts?

But if we turn this discussion around, and realize that being made in the "image of God", we are partakers, to a limited extent in our carnal bodies, of His attributes, what a blessing He has bestowed on us. Or am I off the mark?

Rev. Winzer, thoughts?

Calvin's thoughts might be better appreciated:

Here we are not left to conjecture what resemblance this image bears to its archetype. We easily learn it from the Apostle. (Colossians 3:10.) When he enjoins us to "put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him who created him," he clearly shows what this image is, or wherein it consists; as he also does when he says, (Ephesians 4:24,) "Put on the new man, who has been created after God in knowledge and true holiness." When we would comprehend all these things, in one word we say, that man, in respect of spirit, was made partaker of the wisdom, justice, and goodness of God... let us hold the image of God in man to be that which can only have its seat in the Spirit.

Much better said, thank you.

My point being, how awesome it is when we do put on the new man. If we were to dwell on that more, how our perspective would change!

These are not transitory or responsive like affections, emotions, or feelings, and so they are classified as "perfections." Traditional theism understands these attributes as God Himself, not something secondary which He possesses. God is love, God is goodness, God is wisdom, God is power, etc. This is usually stated by saying that these attributes are in God "essentially."

Thank you, and yes that is my understanding. I think I misunderstood something you were getting at in your last post but it is making more sense now.

This In my most humble opinion nails it. For if one thinks of God as being hate or wrathful outside of when He created time and the elements in all His creation it is easy too see that God in His divine essence did not posses the "perfections" of hate or wrath before He created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back