Going to Philly and D.C. in July - Any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodcheer68

Puritan Board Sophomore
My family and I will be going to D.C. and Philly for 9 days -June 29 -July 7th. Besides spending July 4th in downtown D.C. everything else is open so far, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions that are possibly off-the beaten path, or hidden gems that we should check out. It could be anything from museums to restaurants. What about a good reformed church? Also, we are looking to possibly move there sometime next year.

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick, I'll respond more later with some home town suggestions.

Sent from my most excellent Android device.

Get a hotel room downtown if you're participating in the 4th in DC. Even Metro is too painful with all the crowds. Arlington Cemetery is one place each person should go at least once. The areas around Arlington and Alexandria have every ethnic cuisine out there, which can be a lot of fun to explore. In the past, the Washington Post food critic had been a good guide. If you like driving and "horse" country, take a drive around Fauquier County, Upperville, The Plains, etc. Come on out to church here in Leesburg : )

As far as churches Capitol Hill Baptist (SBC) pastored by Mark Dever in D.C. and Tenth Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Philly are well known churches.

Get a hotel room downtown if you're participating in the 4th in DC. Even Metro is too painful with all the crowds. Arlington Cemetery is one place each person should go at least once. The areas around Arlington and Alexandria have every ethnic cuisine out there, which can be a lot of fun to explore. In the past, the Washington Post food critic had been a good guide. If you like driving and "horse" country, take a drive around Fauquier County, Upperville, The Plains, etc. Come on out to church here in Leesburg : )

Great idea about a hotel downtown because it's crazy crowded on the 4th (although i imagine it must be expensive). It's too crowded to drive (even by normal standards which are horrible), and the Metro subway borders on dangerous with people pushing into subway cars.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks, for the responses they have been helpful. We actually booked a room at the Hampton Inn in Alexandria about a week or so ago. We have a rental car, but we were planning on using the Metro for the 4th. Are you saying that using the Metro is a completely bad idea? We have three kids 5,11, and 13 years old. What would you suggest- Taxi?

(if you're into beer, oh wait, I'm guessing by that SBC you're not. They do have good mussels though)
Actually, I do like a good beer:cheers2: I have been attending an SBC as they are the only church within an 80 mile range that at least embraces the Doctrines of Grace.

I've gotten (on Priceline or one of those services) an excellent price (by bidding low) in July at the Renaissance Hotel in Washington (near the Convention Center--July is off-season for this hotel because it's not convention time). Also, I've found the Tabard Inn, Dupont Circle, a great place to eat. There's a good PCA near the Capitol.

In Philadelphia, Tenth Pres., as has been mentioned, is a great old church. The City Tavern there is touristy but great for "traveling back" to the colonial period. Over in the Second Street/South Street area, if you like an authentic English Pub type place, is the Dickens Inn. Bookbinders is, of course, touristy as well, but I've enjoyed it in the past. Le Bec-Fin has been a swanky place that has gone through a number of changes but I think is to re-open soon, though the renowned Georges Perrier is retiring.

Just a few thoughts about two great towns that I love a lot. Let natives tell you more!

Peace,
Alan

Brad and I normally drive into DC whenever we go. The metro is crazy. The one time we took it our son got ahead of us and jumped on the wrong train.

With your kids ages I'd go for the Smithsonian Museums. The Air and Space, Natural History, and the National Zoo are great! My children enjoyed them when they were really young. All of those museums are free. You do have to pay for parking, but you would have to pay that at the metro station too. Mount Vernon is also a wonderful place to visit. The War Memorials are nice as well. The Baltimore Inner Harbor wouldn't be far away from you either. The aquarium is a lot of fun. They had a program where kids got in free after 5 P.M. I don't know if they still do, but it's worth checking into. We also found it was less crowded that time of day.

I don't know anything about Philly. I've only been once. I was a little girl, so I don't remember much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back