Great Linux version for old laptops and PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

panta dokimazete

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
150 MB for a nice little OS - I opted for google Chrome for the browser - have configured it for Wifi and for my cellular WWAN card - on it now, running off a 2 GB USB card - may post some pics.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Puppy Linux Community - Home

The fact that one can now stick an entire OS on a flash card is staggering. Computers have come quite a way since my first Commodore Vic20!

I've used Puppy/Seamonkey for several years when I travel. I can boot and be on the internet in a fraction of the time that it takes with the Vista that came on the laptop.

2 GB USB card

That's overkill for Puppy.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

The fact that one can now stick an entire OS on a flash card is staggering.

I can remember when the entire operating system would fit on a Single Sided Double Density 5.25 floppy.

Puppy is great. I use puppy on a USB stick if a clients computer is virus addled. It also allows for easy data recovery from a trashed pc/Mac that won't boot. Peppermint ice is another handy portable distro. Not as lightweight though.

I used Puppy Linux to access some files on my father-in-law's computer that had a failing hard drive. Worked like a charm!

I have an old Dell Inspirion I may try with this.

The great thing about Puppy is that you don't have to install it. It will create a small file on the hard drive (if one is available) to save documents, cookies, bookmarks, settings, etc, without impacting your existing operating system or files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back