Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that popular opinion from Europe (at least) views the US as needing gun control if not prohibition.

I would like to understand the perspective and arguments of my American friends on the PB with relation to guns, gun control and gun prohibition.

I get the ability to protect oneself and loved ones is crucial but I’m fairly ignorant apart from that.

*EDIT*
It might be helpful for me to clarify my position and intent of the thread -
I consider myself insufficently well informed on the subject. I don’t have a hidden agenda from what I have said.
People who don't want you to have tools of any given kind have a reason for that. Their reason might be mistrust, ill intent, paternalism, or something along those lines. But whatever their reason is, they are arrogating a right to interference which is not theirs. Even if such an interfering busybody is solicitous, considering them well-meaning seems rather incoherent. If they meant well, they would mind their own business.

That’s the reason given in our Constitution, but I would add that the sixth commandment requires me to own a weapon capable of stopping the average potential threat to my household. In twenty-first century rural America, that is a gun.
This seems a remarkably strong statement. Do you really want to suggest that any man (or woman, since the Ten Commandments are not gender specific) who does not own a firearm is in sin? I can understand thinking it wise and responsible behavior under certain circumstances for people to own guns - an appropriate application of the sixth commandment in their situation - but you seem to be suggesting rather more than that,

Do you really want to suggest that any man (or woman, since the Ten Commandments are not gender specific) who does not own a firearm is in sin?
The word “require” doesn’t always mean one is in sin if they fail at anytime to meet the requirement. In civil applications of the law, sometimes conditions are present. For example, consider Deuteronomy 22:8: “When you build a new house, make a parapet around your roof so that you may not bring the guilt of bloodshed on your house if someone falls from the roof.” This is an application of the sixth commandment that very clearly requires protections around hazardous places on one’s property. Yet, in this case law, not having a parapet around one’s roof is not necessarily sinful, unless and until the conditional (in bold) is met. So is someone today in sin if there is no fence around their pool? No, but if a child falls in and drowns because there were no protections in place, they are guilty of their blood. In the same way, not owning a firearm is not in itself sinful, but if someone’s family is murdered because they failed to take lawful and reasonable measures to defend the life of their neighbor (WSC 68), I think they could be guilty of violating the sixth commandment. Of course, that might be difficult to demonstrate in court, but the principle still holds, it seems to me.

That’s what I mean when I say the sixth commandment requires me to own a firearm.

Last edited:
Isn't closer to 3-6% when you factor in age and sex?
I got to thinking about it later, and realized I had, in fact, roughly doubled the percentage. I'm not sure I'd go as far as 3%, but 6% is generous, and more accurate than my number.

I've always been pro-gun from the simple fact that I have a God given right to defend myself and my family from unjust aggression, whether that is from an individual or the government. The 2nd amendment simply affirms this right.

The "pandemic" made many things clear to me, including how essential to liberty is our right to bear arms. I viewed a YouTube video of some woman in Australia ranting about Americans and our fascination with guns. This was in response to a mass shooting. She just couldn't understand why Americans needed guns....as she sat in her house under threat of arrest by the government if she dared to leave.

To Europeans and others who don't understand why we bear arms: see pandemic lockdown tyranny in most countries not named the United States.

I believe much of the traditional American perspective on owning firearms is directly related to the American experiment of giving large amounts of freedom to its inhabitants coupled with a relatively large geographic expanse. I will take these two ideas in turn.

First, when Benjamin Franklin stated that "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety," he not only encapsulated the ethos of the American experiment, but he did so in the context of European settlers in Pennsylvanian defending themselves from attacks from Early American tribes (this has become a popular quote in favour of American civil rights, but the context is often ignored - here is the original source: https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Franklin/01-06-02-0107 ). No one can convincingly argue that more guns in the hands of totally depraved sinners is not safer than less guns. But one gun in the hand of one unredeemed sinner is enough to warrant others the liberty to have them.

Secondly, factoring in the vast expanse of American territory and this liberty largely becomes a necessity in order to keep the 6th Commandment (as many have posted above). The closest police station to my residence is more than 15 miles away. There is a reason gun ownership and opinions on the topic are largely split along rural/urban lines. Not only do I have a greater chance to encounter human predators without timely police protection, I (and my livestock) also have a greater chance to encounter coyotes, foxes, and bears than my urban/suburban friends.

Since the OP is from the UK, having lived in the UK for several years in the 1990s, I recognize there is a difference in how gun ownership is viewed amongst us. But I would argue that even in the UK there is still a distinct difference in the perspectives in rural versus urban areas (though less distinct than in the US) as well as by region (as there is reported to be in the US). For example, I noticed a different perspective on firearms when I was living in Scotland from when I was living in Northern Ireland. My Highland friends in Scotland had shotguns to hunt grouse. My acquaintance in a Nationalist area in NI could not acquire a shotgun while my family members in their Unionist neighborhood possessed handguns.

Lastly, we Reformed folk are usually originalists in reading the writings of our spiritual forefathers. I would suggest we in the US need to also do so when reading the 18th century founding documents of the US. For example, the word "regulated" in the phrase "well-regulated" of the Second Amendment does not have same meaning that it does today. If we are not careful reading this language, we risk violating the Ninth Commandment: "Q144: What are the duties required in the ninth commandment? A144: The duties required in the ninth commandment are, the preserving and promoting of truth between man and man... appearing and standing for the truth... speaking the truth, and only the truth, in matters of judgment and justice... studying and practicing of whatsoever things are true, honest, lovely, and of good report." "Q145: What are the sins forbidden in the ninth commandment? A145: The sins forbidden in the ninth commandment are, all prejudicing the truth... especially in public judicature... speaking the truth unseasonably... or perverting it to a wrong meaning, or in doubtful and equivocal expressions, to the prejudice of truth or justice... misconstructing intentions, words, and actions...."

I've always been pro-gun from the simple fact that I have a God given right to defend myself and my family from unjust aggression, whether that is from an individual or the government. The 2nd amendment simply affirms this right.

The "pandemic" made many things clear to me, including how essential to liberty is our right to bear arms. I viewed a YouTube video of some woman in Australia ranting about Americans and our fascination with guns. This was in response to a mass shooting. She just couldn't understand why Americans needed guns....as she sat in her house under threat of arrest by the government if she dared to leave.

To Europeans and others who don't understand why we bear arms: see pandemic lockdown tyranny in most countries not named the United States.
Help me put Two and two together : if you have guns and you are put under a governmental house arrest.. what then?

So many in Washington overlook how inextricably linked are women's rights and gun rights. Being able to move about in relative safety is the first step in most rights.

Help me put Two and two together : if you have guns and you are put under a governmental house arrest.. what then?
Notice how we (the USA) have never been put under a house arrest. At least this is never something that has happened in my lifetime. Even during "lockdowns", I was never confined to my house.

Notice how we (the USA) have never been put under a house arrest. At least this is never something that has happened in my lifetime. Even during "lockdowns", I was never confined to my house.
Do you consider being placed in mandatory quarantine due to a medical infection "house arrest"? If so, many in the US were "put under a house arrest."

Do you consider being placed in mandatory quarantine due to a medical infection "house arrest"? If so, many in the US were "put under a house arrest."
I may be wrong here, but I don't know of any places where you were forced to quarantine. I know it was recommended, but I don't know anyone who was forced.

I may be wrong here, but I don't know of any places where you were forced to quarantine. I know it was recommended, but I don't know anyone who was forced.
Here is my isolation order:
isolation order.png
And my release:
isolation order 2.png
They both contained language that sounded like I was "forced to quarantine": "directed to travel directly to, if not already located there, and remain quarantined," "I hereby ORDER that... you follow the quarantine protocols attached to this Order," "restrictions," "mandatory isolation," etc.

Last edited:
They both contained language that sounded like I was "forced to quarantine": "directed to travel directly to, if not already located there, and remain quarantined," "I hereby ORDER that... you follow the quarantine protocols attached to this Order," "restrictions," "mandatory isolation," etc.
And, no, I did not like this order, nor did I completely agree with it, but I could not find a moral reason to disobey it. I own multiple firearms, as do the majority of people in my rural area who were similarly ordered to isolate and were confined to their homes. This would be widely known by the authorities issuing the orders, and yet it did not stop them (nor do I believe they were worried about people taking up arms over the issue).

And, no, I did not like this order, nor did I completely agree with it, but I could not find a moral reason to disobey it. I own multiple firearms, as do the majority of people in my rural area who were similarly ordered to isolate and were confined to their homes. This would be widely known by the authorities issuing the orders, and yet it did not stop them (nor do I believe they were worried about people taking up arms over the issue).
New York never fails to amaze me on how far gone it is. Sorry to see you had to experience that. I have not seen one of those on Wisconsin. New York and California are basically communist at this point, so I guess they would be the exclusion to my comment. Ultimately, compared to the rest of the world, the tyranny here appeared to be a lot less overall. I do think this is in part because of guns.

How about the fact that the civil magistrate has no authority or warrant to make anyone a prisoner in their own home?
When there was a 10pm curfew, I waited until after 10 to walk to the mailbox, because it seemed important to demonstrate, at least if any neighbors were watching, that the way to deal with illegitimate orders is to disregard them. Many of those orders were experiments in tyranny, and the best thing to do with an experiment in tyranny is to make sure it fails. I think it's definitely unloving to one's neighbor to normalize tyranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back