Halloween book burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burning any book is just wrong. They should sell them on Half.com to the reprobates and then spend the money on reformed authors. Bad stewardship!

heheh

On a serious note, if I thought something was heresy I couldn't sell it on or give it away, as that would encourage someone else to get into wrong teaching. In the past I've just burned stuff... but not any kind of bible!

KJV Onlyism + a 14 member church = TV coverage... sad many will think that is Christianity =(

1. Burning books is a waste of paper that could better be recycled.
2. Burning books contributes to pollution in the atmosphere.
3. Burning books contributes to global warming.
4. Burning books do not make good barbecue.

KJV Only folks seem to work hard at making all of us look bad.

I liked the overalls and the accent. It should really impress most Americans.

Heh. Not to be too quibbly, but I think that one is a wash, thermodynamically.

If those trees had not absorbed the sunlight in the first place, we would have been warmer back when they were growing, so burning them is just putting our poor fragile Earth back to where it was before those greedy trees sucked up the energy.

And burning just frees more CO2 for other trees to fulfill their appointed destiny . . . . ;)

I know that you have "tongue in cheek," but none of these make much of a difference to me. It's the asthetics of the book burning. One immediately visualizes Nazis in the 30s.

Slightly off-topic, but a friend of mine who became a Christian in his early to mid 20s said that when he was saved he dramatically burnt all of his rock n'roll albums. It took him 10 years to later buy them all back. :lol:

heheh

On a serious note, if I thought something was heresy I couldn't sell it on or give it away, as that would encourage someone else to get into wrong teaching. In the past I've just burned stuff... but not any kind of bible!

How do you know that? I have lots of erroneous and even heretical material in my library. People buy books for all kinds of reasons, and I don't think we need to judge what people are going to do with them. I mean, just because a book is bought doesn't mean it's even going to be read! *Looks around guiltily at library bookshelves.*

if i got rid of every book that i thought was heretical, ect...
i would have never found C.K. Chesterton!
sometimes you can find nuggets in these books, or at least get past the "have you even read the book?" argument ie: rick warren, john avanzini, joyce meyers, benny hinn, ect
though i only buy those books used

My physical library used to be as complete and varied in perspective as I could make it. Then, with the advent of computers, it expanded to nearly 10,000 volumes in digital format.

At this stage of life, I really don't need (or want) my shelves filled with nonsense. So, by and large, my physical library is becoming more consistently and overtly Reformed. I have kept weeding out the chaff and heresy (e.g., Tillich, Pittenger, charismania), allowing the heresy for "research" purposes to exist in digital form where it can be readily . . . er . . . ah . . . well . . . researched. This saves a lot of space and weight (3,500 or more volumes eliminated in the last decade alone).

As I age, the ink and paper books I want near me are the ones by Calvin, Turretin, the Puritans, Hodge, Bavinck, Berkhof, Grudem, Muller, Beeke, and the like. Once in a great while my ego misses the sight of several hundred feet of missing books reminding me that at one time I looked educated. My wife, on the other hand, loves it and wishes a greater "pruning" would take place.

Other than Spurgeon and Wilber Smith, who could honestly say they have read and know all of the books in their thousands of book libraries?

I know that you have "tongue in cheek," but none of these make much of a difference to me. It's the asthetics of the book burning. One immediately visualizes Nazis in the 30s.

Slightly off-topic, but a friend of mine who became a Christian in his early to mid 20s said that when he was saved he dramatically burnt all of his rock n'roll albums. It took him 10 years to later buy them all back. :lol:

From what I've heard from a few anti-contemporary music sermons, that's a pretty common problem. :)

And anyway, I don't care if you burn books, just so long as you don't try to barbecue with them.

John MacArthur, Mark Driskol (?), and John Piper make some of Satan's most popular books too.

I can't believe anybody would burn Benny Hinn books. His "Good Morning Holy Ghost" is a classic.

bennyhinn_narrowweb__300x3870.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back