a mere housewife
Not your cup of tea
My mom printed up little tracts about 'Reformation Day' (she is very good at explaining things to children) and we stuck those in with the candy. We knew a lot of the kids in our neighborhood very well; had invited them to Bible school etc., - a couple of them had come to church with us - and ignoring them wasn't really an option.
One year we were absolutely bottomed out on funds and my husband's title company was holding a contest with a fifty dollar prize for the best costume. He walked in as a bunch of grapes (balloons and a fuzzy stalk on his head, two bucks for the materials and a couple hours work) and won the fifty dollars (He wanted to go as the wolf-man: shave his head and plaster the hair all over his face but I didn't think that was worth fifty dollars. Besides he had to spend some time in reception that day). Somehow I don't feel horribly guilty about it. I can always argue that we spoiled the Egyptians.
One year we were absolutely bottomed out on funds and my husband's title company was holding a contest with a fifty dollar prize for the best costume. He walked in as a bunch of grapes (balloons and a fuzzy stalk on his head, two bucks for the materials and a couple hours work) and won the fifty dollars (He wanted to go as the wolf-man: shave his head and plaster the hair all over his face but I didn't think that was worth fifty dollars. Besides he had to spend some time in reception that day). Somehow I don't feel horribly guilty about it. I can always argue that we spoiled the Egyptians.
