Hardware Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
I was tempted to place this in "Dad's Tool Shed," but for once I'm resisting the urge to make a bad pun.

I am putting together a breakfast nook for the missus. In the process, I have stripped the head of a screw and it will neither go in or come out at this point. I went to Home Depot yesterday and purchased a "screw extractor", but that has been largely unsuccessful. You are suppose to drill inside of the screw with a 5/16" titanium bit (done), tap in the extractor (done), and then unscrew (the problem). The screw is in very tightly and the extractor keeps popping out. Plus, there is nothing to grip the extractor with. The directions seem to show an adjustable wrench being used to twist the extractor, but I can't seem to make that work.

Any suggestions?
 
I'm assuming that the head is completely missing, is that right Pastor. If that's the case then an extractor may no be able to grab enough. Extractors work best when the screw head has lost it's slots or grooves.

Your best bet is probably to drive the screw in further with a nail set and then cover it with wood filler. If you are going to paint the wood then no one will ever know. If you are going to stain, however, then there will be a slight flaw.
 
No, the head is still intact. It has simply worn to the point that the screwdriver cannot turn the screw either way.

The part was machined incorrectly. The pre-drilled holes were not deep enough (they were fine on the other bench), and foolish human stubborness led me to try and force the issue instead of stopping once the drill I was using to drive the screws started slipping. I managed to get the other screw removed, but this one I could not.
 
there are a couple different kind of extractors. You have one and the other is a one step bit that fits into your drill and supposedly cuts into and removes the screw. Sometimes, if the screw is really soft (are you using sheetrock screws or wood or deck screws? The sheetrock is pretty soft.) you can put your screw driver in and rap it with your hammer and form a new groove.

Are you painting or staining?
 
You should be using vice grips rather than an adjustable wrench. There's no way you can get a proper grip using an adjustable wrench.
 
I am not painting or staining. This is a screw going into solid wood, but it's designed more like a metal screw (if that makes sense; the threads go up the entire length of the screw, unlike a wood screw; I'm guessing this is because the bench came with pre-drilled holes). Actually, because of the way the bench is designed, this section will be hidden by a centerpiece if/when I ever get it done. Worst case scenario I can leave the pesky thing in as is (it is one of two screws holding the back of the bench to that side of the bench) and redo the other screw. I would just feel better if I could get the whole thing to go in so that it is not loose and so that it looks nice for the wifey.

-----Added 2/19/2009 at 10:53:21 EST-----

You should be using vice grips rather than an adjustable wrench. There's no way you can get a proper grip using an adjustable wrench.

How big/what size vice grip should I used? I do not have one and will have to go out and buy one.
 
Yes, try the vise grip first. They are adjustable--the determining size for it would be the amount of room you have. A small one would probably work, make sure not to get the long-jawed "needle nose" kind, because they don't have as much gripping strength.

If the head is still sticking out, you don't even need an extractor, just use the vise grip to turn the head. I suggested a smaller vise grip because it would be able to grip the small part sticking up better than a large one.

But you mentioned that you were able to drill the screw? Whatever you do, don't force the extractor because it can break inside the screw. If reasonable pressure can't get it out, you can completely drill out the old screw by using slightly larger bits and drilling into the hole you started with the small bit. Then just use a slightly larger screw.
 
If the head is still sticking out, you don't even need an extractor, just use the vise grip to turn the head. I suggested a smaller vise grip because it would be able to grip the small part sticking up better than a large one.

:doh:

That's so obvious, and I didn't even think of it. But that's why I asked!

Thanks everyone!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top