HELP ME WITH SANCTIFICATION!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Founded on the Rock

Puritan Board Freshman
I am stuck here with a very unsatisfactory theology on sanctification.

At one point I understand nothing in my sanctification is of myself. That is apparent. But I also have the ability to obey God because I have the Spirit and the Word. So if I do obey, then do I have any reason to boast since I have cooperated with God better than others?

It seems very difficult to say that God gives us what we need and just leaves it up to us because then there is room for boasting on our sanctification.

When I start to reason that God just does not give the Spirit equally to every believer I think I get into some really bad theology.

I AM SO CONFUSED AND THIS IS A HUGE ASPECT OF PIETY! I have no idea why this hasn't really hit me until now but I need to know where my effort and Christ's holiness come into play in sanctification! Any help would be appreciated
 
May I suggest starting with a very good sermon of Robert Traill's on Phil. 2:12, 13. It is available here:

http://www.truecovenanter.com/traill/index.htm

He follows the usual Reformed and Puritan line, which avoids self-reliance while maintaining diligence in performing duties. His observations are:

1. The great improvement which the Holy Ghost calleth the saints to lay to heart, and the great duty which a faithful minister layeth upon his flock, is that of their own salvation.

2. To be rightly exercised about this matter, much labour and pains is called; this is the strait gate; and that even from such as have been exercised therein diligently, as the Philippians were.

3. In diligence with this great work, much humility and sense of our own infirmity are called for, with fear and trembling.

4. Whatever ground of fear there be as from self, yet it is the great encouragement of the saints that the Lord is the helper in this work.

5. Entire help is given by this sufficient helper.

6. The fountain whence all this floweth is his free will and good pleasure.

7. The consideration of this entire help is a great argument to diligence.
 
Sinclair Ferguson's little book, Grow in Grace is very helpful on the topic. The key here to santification, at least for Ferguson, is a humble reliance on Christ while using the means He has provided. Study of the Word, prayer, and the fellowship of the saints are those chief means. But sanctification is not a mechanical process. You don't simply read pray BAMM! more sanctification. Rather, study, prayer, and fellowship puts you in a posture of submission to God and so you are more open to God sanctifying you as He sees fit. I know this is breif but I hope it helps. That book is very helpful, very readable, and it is very affordable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top