Status
Not open for further replies.

C. M. Sheffield

Puritan Board Graduate
New Testament Commentary, 12 Volumes
By: William Hendriksen, Simon J. Kistemaker

26067.gif

Is this a good set of commentaries?
What, if anything, can you tell me about it?

Hendriksen is the commentator-love of my life. Kistemaker not so much but it is worth getting the set for what Hendriksen has written.

It is definitely worth having if you can get it on sale a Christianbooks.com

What can you tell me about the format. Is it more verse-by-verse or pericope-by-pericope?
And would you say that its technical/exegetical or pastoral/devotional in its treatment or a mixture of both?

What can you tell me about the format. Is it more verse-by-verse or pericope-by-pericope?
And would you say that its technical/exegetical or pastoral/devotional in its treatment or a mixture of both?

Hendriksen uses his own translation and he does move verse-by-verse but also gives, marvellously, the sense of how a passage or event or line of thought holds together.
It is technical in places, but accessible to anyone with a keen mind, and it also has good applications, so it is a mixture, but sometimes lighter on the pastoral/devotional side.

What I will say above all is this - that William Hendriksen's writing moves me to a greater appreciation of and love for Christ than any other modern writer.

Probably the finest NT set available. If there were a similar set on the OT, you'd have a goldmine.

Here's my opinion... take it for what it's worth...

It is a commentary set that is worth having and there are certainly things to be gleaned from its pages. However, it is no substitute for the best volumes on any given book of the New Testament - that is, at no point does his work become my primary commentary - and as a result it is therefore what I would call a good "supplemental resource."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back