Historicist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Peter
They believed in a 1260 year (42 months) apostacy by consistently applying the day/year principle in prophecy, understood the papacy to be the man of sin and antichrist, and the 5th trumpet to refer to the Mohammedan invasions.
While Historicism has some central beliefs (the Pope is the Antichrist, the Church of Rome is the Whore of Babylon, the Year-Day Principle), there's actually a lot of room for variation within Historicism. John Brown of Haddington, for example, believed that the 5th trumpet referred, not to the Mahometans, but to the monks and friars of Rome. I'm not discounting anything that Peter said (except for the postmil emphasis in his original post); I'm simply saying that, other than a few "cardinal beliefs," there's a lot of room within Historicism for different interpretations of the prophecies of Revelation.

I personally believe that the Westminster Standards lend themselves more to an amil interpretation. But this doesn't seem to be the proper thread for that discussion. ;)

Does anyone know if the previously mentioned Turretin article:

(Turretin's Seventh Disputation, where it is proven that the Papacy is the Antichrist)

...is available in his Institutes?

Originally posted by SmokingFlax
Does anyone know if the previously mentioned Turretin article:

(Turretin's Seventh Disputation, where it is proven that the Papacy is the Antichrist)

...is available in his Institutes?
No, it's not. Turretin's Opera ("Works") are four Latin volumes; his Institutes, translated by George Musgrave Giger and edited by James T. Dennison, Jr., make up the first three volumes. The fourth volume of his works remains in Latin, untranslated. The article in question is a translation of a selection from one of his works ("Concerning our Necessary Secession from the Church of Rome, and the Impossibility of Cooperation with Her") appearing in that fourth volume.

Did you notice how both the futurist and the preterist views could not acknowledge the rise of antichrist in their time? The futurist tells us the antichrist is coming and the preterist tells us the antichrist has come.

Something to think about.

If I may be so bold. The anti-Christ in the pretist view was Nero wwhen the great Tribulation happened.

Originally posted by Kaalvenist
Originally posted by Slippery
I'm a partial preterist. studied it already, wasted money on Dispensational books :D
And preterist books.
I never bought a preterist book ;) studied from online sources, and I borrowed Sproul's, "The Last Days according to Jesus" from the Library.

its amazing how less expensive the truth is when compared to error.

Originally posted by Kaalvenist
I'm a partial preterist. studied it already, wasted money on Dispensational books :D
And preterist books.
I never bought a preterist book ;) studied from online sources, and I borrowed Sproul's, "The Last Days according to Jesus" from the Library.

its amazing how less expensive the truth is when compared to error.
Whatever happened to "buy the truth, and sell it not"? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back