History Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I have an abiding interest in History, starting with the NT background but spreading out from that. Are there any serious history forums that you know of? I tried searching for conservative history but ended up with the Conservative Party history.

I particulary want to avoid history sites tainted by BLM, LGBTQ and revisionist attempts to "reinterprete" (rewrite) history. My own SNP was called out for issuing a document on the scottish education website which showed a tank in George square, suggesting it was the English policing a miners strike. It was actually a photo from the previous year and an advert for war bonds!

Just as our dictionaries are being rewritten and our Bibles retranslated, our history is also on the line!

Fascinated to read in the Sword and the Scimitar that Syria and Egypt were Christian countries prior to their conquest by Islam. Also that where the cross is the means for the forgiving of sin, in Islam the sword of jihad plays an almost exact same role! (p6 footnote)

I am interest in history too, particularly the Eastern Front during the Second World War. In terms of historiography, I have learned to not to accept history books (even by prominent authors) at face value. No history book can escape scrutiny. The way I approach it is to read various perspectives on a particular topic and decide my own conclusion, with the help of God's grace of course! You also need to cross-checking various statements and statistics with other primary sources.

It's hard to tell which forum is "conservative" (or free from being politically motivated, if you mean). I would perhaps look to History Stack Exchange for secular history, and then find someone here on Puritan Board who can offer good content on church history. I recalled of my initial fascination with a subreddit called r/AskHistorians where phD members answer questions comprehensively, but I got disappointed afterward because of the apparent woke influence on it.

Thanks Minh, joined and was faascinated to learn the Declaration of Independence was handwritten to avoid the Stamp Act!

I have learned to not to accept history books (even by prominent authors) at face value. No history book can escape scrutiny. The way I approach it is to read various perspectives on a particular topic and decide my own conclusion, with the help of God's grace of course! You also need to cross-checking various statements and statistics with other primary sources.
Pretty much the only thing anyone can do. A lot of books today are opening up bizarre avenues for the modern woke reader.
Iniquiries like this are a big thing in teaching social studies circles these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back