Votes: 4 7.3%
  • It's very bad

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Get a Mac

Votes: 17 30.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new compaq pc in december, I have 3 gb ram and it came with vista home pro. I have not had any problems. In fact, compared to XP, my experience has been very good.

I dare say in a few months after updates etc it might slow down some, then I will just get another gb of ram. As Fred said, it is very cheap these days.

It came with lightscribe. I never knew what it was till I got it home. Now I love it. No more printing cd labels! Yippee!

So, I just don't relate to all these 'vista is bad' stories. Sure, some old software creaks a bit because it was built for xp, but I expect that.

J

Vista is great! Yes you should have a beefy machine but it runs better than XP in my opionion. I have not had a single problem.

Macs are way over priced.

I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with Vista Home Premium as the OS. I would have stayed with XP out of familiarity, but it is not offered for the 1525 series. Having read about memory issues I purchased 3G RAM instead of the max of 4G, since several reviewers noted that the 1525 will only make use of 3.5G out of 4 (I have no idea why).

My question to the computer pros is this - would that extra half gig have made a significant difference, or should I not worry about it and stick with the three I already have?

I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with Vista Home Premium as the OS. I would have stayed with XP out of familiarity, but it is not offered for the 1525 series. Having read about memory issues I purchased 3G RAM instead of the max of 4G, since several reviewers noted that the 1525 will only make use of 3.5G out of 4 (I have no idea why).

My question to the computer pros is this - would that extra half gig have made a significant difference, or should I not worry about it and stick with the three I already have?

Adam,

I think it will run fine. I have 4GB that is only recognized by my Sony as 3GB, and it runs fine (I have 2x2GB sticks). I consistently run at the same time: Outlook, Word, an AV program, Logos, and Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Adam,

I think it will run fine. I have 4GB that is only recognized by my Sony as 3GB, and it runs fine (I have 2x2GB sticks). I consistently run at the same time: Outlook, Word, an AV program, Logos, and Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Thank you, Fred. That's a reassuring report. I added a 7200rpm hard drive and a good processor as well so it sounds like I'll be set.

. . . . so it sounds like I'll be set.

:lol:

I'm not trying to be cynical, but I remember thinking the same thing back in 89 when I got my Tandy laptop with dual floppy drives and WP 4.2. Man, who could ask for anything more? (BTW, it never crashed, but I often lost documents by forgetting to save before the battery ran out).

Having read about memory issues I purchased 3G RAM instead of the max of 4G, since several reviewers noted that the 1525 will only make use of 3.5G out of 4 (I have no idea why).

If you get the 64 bit version of Vista it will recognize all 4 gigs. 32 bit operating systems have a 3.5 gb limit when it comes to recognizing RAM.

I run Vista on 1 GB of RAM with few problems. In fact one thing I have noticed is that programs that get hung up for awhile tend to recover more often than not. Compared to previous versions of Windows OS, that is a serious difference (at least for me).

That's the problem. Why should you have to buy something else to get your OS to work? Shouldn't a good product work properly "out of the box?"
:2cents:

I agree and that is what Linux does, PCLinuxOS, Mepis, Ubuntu etc. anyway.

I use XP...and don't want to change. Recently downgraded a new computer from Vista to XP. Maybe, I just don't have patience to learn something new, but for 3 weeks VISTA made me :(,:eek:,:um: and :mad:

Vista...just say no. Vista is what pushed me to Ubuntu Linux. Haven't looked back.

Few of the Vista promises have been delivered over a year later. We'll be running XP at the church until I can no longer support it, which will be a long time, or until we switch to Linux. If Power Church ran under Wine, we'd be using Linux now.

The power of free...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back