How far do we take Sabbath keeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP: How far do we take Sabbath keeping?

1. How far do we take the Sabbath to be made for man?

vs

2. How far do we take man to be made for the Sabbath?​

I beg to differ. I know many people, including some on this board, that I believe would do just this. As our brother Scott mentioned earlier, proper preparation goes a long way in helping to enjoy the Lord's Day properly. This includes going to bed at a decent hour so as not to be overly tired the next morning. I've had mornings where I am tired and it affects my attention span during worship. It is better to turn in early and get sufficient sleep, so my wife and I generally try our best not to stay up late on Saturday nights. For myself, hanging out with friends at midnight would put me to bed at far too late a time.

Well I was talking about people that generally do things on Saturday nights, so that doesn't mean you if you are in bed early. For those of us with late church start time we can go to bed later and still be rested.

If I think about it, I'm sure that when the sabbath day was changed, it was still sundown to sundown so why the change to midnight to midnight? Is it biblical or cultural? If I get a full day of sabbath rest that includes corporate worship, do the specific times really matter?

The WLC states to keep one whole day which it apears you are doing by observing 6 to 6. It also clarifies that the Lords Day is to be observed on the first day of the week, so they are essentially saying keeping the whole 1st day of the week set apart. By definition, you are keeping 6 hours on the 7th day holy and only 18 hours on the 1st day holy. Here are some quotes I found

Thomas Boston (1676-1732) in his classic work on the Shorter Catechism, An Illustration of the Doctrines of the Christian Religion Upon the Plan of the Assembly’s Shorter Catechism Comprehending A Complete Body of Divinity , states the following:

The day to be kept holy, is one whole day. . . . This day we begin in the morning immediately after midnight; and so does the Sabbath begin, and not in the evening. . . . (Commentary On The Shorter Catechism , Still Waters Revival Books, 1993, Vol.2, p.189; cf. pp.189-190 for his biblical defense of the position).

James Fisher (1697-1775), a minister in the Associate Presbyterian Synod, was appointed by the Associate Presbyterian Synod (together with Ebenezer Erskine and Ralph Erskine) to compose what is now known as Fisher’s Catechism (1760) which is an exposition of the Shorter Catechism. Under the exposition of Question 58 of the Shorter Catechism, the following question and answer appear:

Q. 10. When should we begin and end this day [i.e. the Sabbath]?

A. We should measure it just as we do other days from midnight to midnight, without alienating any part of it to our own works (an extract from Fisher’s Catechism , cited in An Anthology of Presbyterian & Reformed Literature , Naphtali Press, Vol.5, p.198, 1992).

John Brown of Haddington (1722-1787) a Scottish minister in the Associate Presbyterian Synod expounds the following in his explanation of the Shorter Catechism:

Q. When doth the weekly Sabbath begin?

A. In the morning, immediately after midnight.

Q. How prove you that?

A. As Christ rose early in the morning, and the evening after is called the evening of the same day; and Moses said, "Tomorrow (not this night) is a Sabbath to the Lord, Jn. 20:1,19; Ex. 16:23.

Q. How then is it said, Lev. 23:32, "From evening to evening shall ye celebrate your Sabbath?

A. That related to the ceremonial, not to the weekly Sabbath (An Essay, Towards an Easy, Plain, Practical, and Extensive Explication of the Assembly’s Shorter Catechism, printed by Henry Frick, 1818, p.255).

e. There are actually two methods in the New Testament of reckoning the hours of a day and both of them begin the day in the morning: (1) The new day begins after midnight so that 6 a.m. is the sixth hour of the day (Jn. 19:14), and 10 a.m. is the tenth hour of the day (Jn. 1:39); (2) The new day begins after 6 a.m. so that 9 a.m. is the third hour of the day (Mk. 15:25), noon is the sixth hour of the day (Mk. 15:33), and 3 p.m. is the ninth hour of the day (Mk. 15:33). These two different methods of reckoning the hours of the day might even be used by the same author as in the case of John in his gospel (where Jn. 1:39 and Jn. 19:14 support the view that a new day begins after midnight , whereas Jn. 4:6 and Jn. 4:52 support the view that a new day begins after 6 a.m.).

f. Though Scripture does not specifically state when morning precisely begins, there is sufficient evidence that a new day does begin in the morning and that the morning begins "a great while before day" (Mk. 1:35), when it is yet dark (Jn. 20:1). g. Thus, this study concludes that the terminus a quo for the Sabbath is morning and that the morning of a new day most likely begins at midnight.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Here is the link to where I found the quotes if you want something more exhausting:think: When Does The Sabbath Begin? Morning or Evening?

Why is it that we tend to look at our cultural context to decide what is taking things 'too far'? I know that the 16th century did not have electricity, etc. but aside from the ubiquitous use of electricity, are we really trying to keep the Sabbath like they were (or let's perhaps say as others were in the past who were doing it 'right') or are we too far ensconced in our cultural trappings to realize what that is anymore? No finger pointing here at previous posts, it is an honest question.

An example of wrong application of the Lords Day (Im sure some of you have heard this before) Taking the effort to put all the dinner dishes on the porch so when the elders walked by your house they knew you were keeping the Lords Day

An example of wrong application of the Lords Day (Im sure some of you have heard this before) Taking the effort to put all the dinner dishes on the porch so when the elders walked by your house they knew you were keeping the Lords Day

And a violation of the ninth commandment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back