Human spirit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis1963

Puritan Board Freshman
I was discussing demon possession with a couple people. I do not believe a believer can be possessed by the devil, oppressed, yes.

But, one person told me, that a believe can be possessed in their soul, not their spirit, since the Holy Spirit possesses that part of a man.

Now, I always believed man is flesh and soul. According to this person, a man is, flesh, soul and spirit. Where does this come from?

What is the scripture support for or against?

Thanks in advance.

Yikes! I'd start with doing a word study of soul first. I wonder if his belief in tripartism has an agenda?

"You who love the LORD, hate evil! He preserves the souls of His saints; He delivers them out of the hand of the wicked."- Psalm 97:10

Yikes! I'd start with doing a word study of soul first. I wonder if his belief in tripartism has an agenda?
Well yes, that's what he said, man is three parts. He also used some terminology about being created in God's image, Triune.

The Reformed and biblical position is that Man is bipartite/dichotomous rather than tripartite/trichotomous i.e. Man is body and soul or body and spirit. The words spirit and soul are often used interchangeably in Scripture.

Do a search for trichotomy, dichotomy, bipartite, tripartite, soul, spirit, body, etc on the PB. There will be threads on this.

Even although Man is bipartite he reflects the Triunity in other ways.

Search also for threads on demon possession and its meaning.

I always thought soul was used for humans and spirit was used for angels and demons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back