Hyper-Calvinism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I would have this in common with John Calvin himself, that people would call us Hyper-calvinists.

Guess there are only 2 kinds of reformed people. You are either a hyper-calvinist, or you are a 5 point arminian.

I recently put together a chart surveying all the Calvinist positions. Found here I agree that some people are unfairly called hyper-calvinist. In the chart I have attempted to show the difference between hyper-calvinism and High calvinism. Hope it helps

VanVos

P.S.Feed back welcome, especially if I need to make changes

May I start a poll using your chart as a basis? Or you could. I'm curious where folks will place themselves. I'd say I'm a high Calvinist. I doubt there are many hyper but I wonder if there are many moderates or Lutherans.

Anthony,

When Spurgeon said regarding his conversion, "I looked at Him, and He looked at me, and we were one forever" I daresay there passed between them things words cannot say.

When the Spirit said through Paul, "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ"*, He indicated a glory of presence beyond what language can hold.

*2 Cor 4:6

Steve

I would put my self also in the High Calvinism camp. I put Beza as a High Calvinist because of his position of supralapsarianism.

I guess you can put Robert Reymond there too, since he has one of the most thorough defenses of the supra position I've ever read in his systematic theology. Seems like the High Calvinist position is a good place to be. :D

Anthony,

When Spurgeon said regarding his conversion, "I looked at Him, and He looked at me, and we were one forever" I daresay there passed between them things words cannot say.

I would never say I'm one with God. That would make me part of the Trinity - and that would really mess up my theology. :p

When the Spirit said through Paul, "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ"*, He indicated a glory of presence beyond what language can hold.

[bible]2 Cor 4:6[/bible]
I read this completely differently. I see the light of knowledge simply a way of showing that knowledge enlightens our minds, particularly with the knowledge of the deity of Christ. I don't think this speaks of anything literally beyond language. This is metaphorical language.
Knowledge beyond language is a contradiction.

I would also be interested as I would not be suprised if it were true. One of the reasons I dislike the CG theory is its cultural implications.

I don't think there is any question that he needed to find common ground with the Catholics, the only question I guess is the extent his CG theory played into his politics and how much the one informed the other?

From a piece by Peter Van Kleeck:

"Peter Heslam observes that for Kuyper, “it was not his concept of the pluriformity of the church, therefore, that inspired the accommodating attitude towards Roman Catholicism he expressed in his final Stone Lecture, but his pragmatism in striving towards specific social and political goals.”

This too from Portraits of Faithful Saints by Herman Hanko (http://www.prca.org/books/portraits/kuyper.htm )

Nevertheless, as Kuyper and his policies were more and more hated by the opposition, the two main parties in Parliament united against him. The result was that it soon became clear that the only way for the Anti-revolutionary Party to break the hold of the liberals on the country was to form a coalition with the Roman Catholics. This coalition was effected and was victorious in the election of 1888; but its victory was temporary and it lost the election of 1891. It was not until 1901 that the coalition once again came to power. This time Kuyper was asked to head the new government. He became prime minister. After the dissolution of the government and the defeat of the coalition in the election of 1905, Kuyper's brief term as prime minister came to an end. Twice more he served briefly, once in the Second Chamber and once in the First Chamber. But his age and infirmities were catching up with him and his terms were ineffective.

Sometimes the look in the face of one's beloved is worth a thousand words, or immeasurably more.

Last edited:
May I start a poll using your chart as a basis? Or you could. I'm curious where folks will place themselves. I'd say I'm a high Calvinist. I doubt there are many hyper but I wonder if there are many moderates or Lutherans.

Sure, it be interesting to see the results of the poll.

VanVos

[bible]2 pet 1:10[/bible] - speaks of assurance, not knowledge.
-also calls for introspection.
Nonsense! Assurance is not rooted in ignorance and self-examination is called for not introspection!
Your other comment (being one with God) - well think about 2.Peter 1:4!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back