I Have COPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Just before I turned 66 earlier this month, I was diagnosed with COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). I've never smoked, but both my parents smoked like chimneys, so I was exposed to all that second-hand smoke. Also, when I was growing up in the Los Angeles area during the 1950s and 1960s, the smog here was much worse than it is now. So, I've got it.

I'm on a maintenance inhaler (Advair) twice a day, and I have a rescue inhaler (Albuterol) which, praise the Lord, I haven't had to use yet.

There's no cure, but it's considered to be "manageable." Getting exercise is key. I love walking anyway, so I've got that covered.

One person told me, "Oh, my mother's had that for years. She's fine." Another told me that I'll probably die of something else before the COPD gets me.

Do any of you have any experience with this disease - either yourself or someone you know? I'm looking for how other people have coped with this.
 
I'm sorry to hear. There are residents at my job in their 80s and 90s who have it and are very active. It sounds like keeping yourself healthy and managing it through the medications is the most important thing. I had asthma really bad when I was younger, so I can definitely relate to breathing diffuculties. One other thing would be if you have triggers that affect your breathing, remember what those triggers are and avoid them. For me, things like smelling bleach, cold air, etc., trigger difficult breathing, so I have to be careful.

I wish you the best.
 
I'm sorry to hear. There are residents at my job in their 80s and 90s who have it and are very active. It sounds like keeping yourself healthy and managing it through the medications is the most important thing. I had asthma really bad when I was younger, so I can definitely relate to breathing diffuculties. One other thing would be if you have triggers that affect your breathing, remember what those triggers are and avoid them. For me, things like smelling bleach, cold air, etc., trigger difficult breathing, so I have to be careful.

I wish you the best.

Thanks, Ryan. As I understand it, COPD is sort of like having bronchitis and emphysema at the same time. Nice to know about those folks in those upper ages who are still active even though they have it. That's encouraging.
 
I too am very sorry to hear it, especially that it has been caused by the actions of others.

My father died of COPD last year but he smoked a good amount during his life. Even though he quit smoking 10 years or so before his death, the damage was done.

I know he struggled with depression quite a bit because of it but he didn't have the Lord (except for the possibility right before the end) and I suspect he had a lifetime of sin dragging at his conscience.

I have asthma (and two inhalers as well) that I had struggled with for quite some time but found that since losing quite a bit of weight, I don't think I have had one episode of breathing trouble.

Hopefully yours will not progress quickly and stay manageable as long as possible.
 
I have a neighbor in his late 60s who is on oxygen pretty much 100% of the time and a good friend in his early 70s who is in earlier stages of COPD, and similar to your situation, uses a couple of prescription inhalers, as well as other medications. He has one of those portable oxygen generator/breathing apparatus, and is on it for various times throughout the day. Both of them seem to be getting along well, having become accustomed to, and accepting of their handicap.
The neighbor uses a walker on which he has an oxygen bottle attached to go for walks and get exercise. He doesn't need a walker for balance, but has the type that has a seat in case he needs to rest during a walk around the community. He drives here and yonder and is self sufficient.
My friend also goes for walks and is self sufficient, but probably would benefit from more oxygen time than he avails himself of. He depends on the inhalers which, as you know, you can only use every 6 hours (in his case) That is about all I know. I hope it is helpful.
 
I too am very sorry to hear it, especially that it has been caused by the actions of others.

My father died of COPD last year but he smoked a good amount during his life. Even though he quit smoking 10 years or so before his death, the damage was done.

I know he struggled with depression quite a bit because of it but he didn't have the Lord (except for the possibility right before the end) and I suspect he had a lifetime of sin dragging at his conscience.

I have asthma (and two inhalers as well) that I had struggled with for quite some time but found that since losing quite a bit of weight, I don't think I have had one episode of breathing trouble.

Hopefully yours will not progress quickly and stay manageable as long as possible.

Thanks for this.
 
I have a neighbor in his late 60s who is on oxygen pretty much 100% of the time and a good friend in his early 70s who is in earlier stages of COPD, and similar to your situation, uses a couple of prescription inhalers, as well as other medications. He has one of those portable oxygen generator/breathing apparatus, and is on it for various times throughout the day. Both of them seem to be getting along well, having become accustomed to, and accepting of their handicap.
The neighbor uses a walker on which he has an oxygen bottle attached to go for walks and get exercise. He doesn't need a walker for balance, but has the type that has a seat in case he needs to rest during a walk around the community. He drives here and yonder and is self sufficient.
My friend also goes for walks and is self sufficient, but probably would benefit from more oxygen time than he avails himself of. He depends on the inhalers which, as you know, you can only use every 6 hours (in his case) That is about all I know. I hope it is helpful.

Thanks, Jimmy.
 
J

Do any of you have any experience with this disease - either yourself or someone you know? I'm looking for how other people have coped with this.

I have a moderate amount of emphysema from smoking heavy for 22 or so years. I walk slow and know my limits, which could be expanded if I lost weight and exercised more. COPD is a strange disease in that many times the progression stops when the smoke stops. Sometimes it still progresses though at a much slower rate once the irritant stops.
 
It is manageable, but you must remain compliant. Most copd'ers are pretty non-compliant with their regimens of neb treatments; many are in and out of the hospital settings. Some were smokers, others, not. Genetics play a part.
 
It is manageable, but you must remain compliant. Most copd'ers are pretty non-compliant with their regimens of neb treatments; many are in and out of the hospital settings. Some were smokers, others, not. Genetics play a part.

They say that walking is the perfect exercise for those with COPD and, since I've always loved to walk, I've got that covered. Currently, I walk in the park for about an hour and a half per day, five days per week (giving myself the weekends off).

What are "neb" treatments? Are you talking about the inhalers?
 
A nebulizer, or treatment, is the liquid albuterol put in what looks like a pipe, or a mask, and it becomes a steam that is inhaled for about 10-15 minutes. I believe it does a better job at breaking up the phlegm and opening up the airways.
 
A nebulizer, or treatment, is the liquid albuterol put in what looks like a pipe, or a mask, and it becomes a steam that is inhaled for about 10-15 minutes. I believe it does a better job at breaking up the phlegm and opening up the airways.

Oh, OK. I don't have to do that (yet). My rescue inhaler is albuterol and, as I said, I haven't had to use that yet. I guess I'm in the earlier stages. But I use my maintenance inhaler twice per day religiously (heh).
 
By the way, I had an X-ray, which came back clear. Then I took a series of breathing-in-a-tube tests, which is where the diagnosis came from. The tests measured my lung capacity. I don't understand how lung capacity (or lack thereof) translates into having a disease, but that's what they tell me.

Also, for the record, I don't have any phlegm (yet).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top