I Wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOwen

Puritan Board Junior
"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away." Rev 21:1

I wonder what this verse will look like once it’s happened.

There's an intramural debate going on among believers about this text. The question is, "Is it a completely new heaven and a completely new earth, or is it the same heaven and the same earth, just redeemed and renewed?" If you've come here to find the answer, I'm sorry to disappoint. I just don't know.

As a conservationist at heart (NOT an environmentalist), I like the idea that this blue marble, the one I have come to love and adore, will be renewed and redeemed in the end. In verse five, Jesus says, "Behold, I make all things new," not "I'll make all new things." I get sad when Christians don't care about God's creation. We should care the most! If we are to be stewards of God's gifts (Gen.1:28; Luke 19:11-27), how is this creation not a gift? Oh, right. It will be destroyed by fire. But will it? I can't see any place where it says that it's all going to burn. Certain things will: the sky, planets, the wicked. (2 Peter 3; Rev. 2:18) Fire can mean purification as well as judgment. Anyway, corporate and governmental institutions have taken all the oxygen out of the room regarding the environment. Sadly, it's become a god to most. (Rom. 1:18-23)1 But it doesn't matter what I think. The believer will be perfectly content with whatever God decides.

This much I do know, however, there will be an actual earth and an actual heaven.

We tend to become semi-gnostic when we think of the next life. Everything from floating angels with harps, to zipping around the universe like superman, to defying natural law with 18 hole-in-ones, to quietly strolling down streets of gold, tipping our hat to Moses as we pass on the way to church. We think of our heavenly selves as semi-transparent dreamlike beings with incredible new abilities. It's like we forget we're human.

When God made the first Blue Whale, He made a single, blue whale nature. Everything about it is derived from its custom DNA. From its watery habitat (though mammalian) to its complex vascular structure, to its gathering and eating, to its innate sense of direction, to its need for community and family. It had perfect "Blue-whaleness."

When God stooped down, took red clay from the earth, and formed Adam, he made a Human. Every fiber of his being was material. Inside that lifeless form lay all the untouched and untested perfection of human DNA. Part two of God creating a Human is what changes everything. "And God breathed into Adam, and Adam became a living Soul." This gave Adam, spirit, being, as in human being. Man was now unique in all creation. Angels are spirits with no bodies. Animals are bodies without souls. But when God made man, He created a whole new thing; a soul that will never die, living inside a perfect body. God breathed into Adam His own breath.

A human is defined as much by soul as by body. There is no way around it. This is why the redeemed in heaven are patiently waiting for the great resurrection, "to wit, the redemption of their bodies." (Rom. 8:23)

Not only was Adam (and we in him) made by nature to do soulish things like philosophize, self-reflect, wonder, worship, and love. But fleshly things, too, such as enjoying the harmony of sound, color, texture, touch, and taste; cheeks a flush, quickened heartbeat, anticipation and fulfillment, and the satisfaction of rest. Both these things, soul and body, are intrinsically and uniquely human. To have one without the other is an un-human state. As I stated, the redeemed heaven are longing right now, for their earthly bodies, so that they might, as complete persons, worship their Savior.

What might this tell us about the new heaven and the new earth? Taking all this into consideration, they will be geographical places. If οὐρανός still means "heaven, space, and sky" and γῆ means "planet, land, soil," then it's reasonable to see them as coordinates. Fixed places somewhere in three dimensions. Is it possible that the new heaven and new earth will be three-dimensional locations where the redeemed will thrive according to God's original creation design? To me, it seems a logical theory.

When God made Adam, He made him perfect. We always talk about this. And we picture Adam strolling around a beautiful garden, sampling fruit and chasing butterflies. But God's perfect created order for humans was to be like Himself, productive. God instructed Adam's DNA to be busy. Adam didn't have to keep the garden, he got to. He's given the audaciously delightful task of naming every moving thing. (2:20) And Adam loved it! His inner biologist and zoologist were activated as well as his linguist and poet. Labor is not part of the fall; sweat is. Childbirth is not part of the fall; pain is. God lovingly set Adam over the garden to tend to it. (Gen.2:18) That was as much a part of his nature as a shepherd dog's herding is. And as far as the rest of the world goes? "Subdue it," the LORD says. (Gen 1:28) Take my creation, enjoy it, and use it all to My glory.

We may not think of this, but pre-fall, Adam was a man who expressed all the perfect elements of human DNA. Even if it was only for a moment. Excellence in everything from poetry to invention, quantum mechanics to botany, engineering to farming, lay dormant in him. In Adam lay Plato, Paul, Einstein, and Musk. Jordan and Messi. For the briefest time between creation and the fall, Adam enjoyed this world in every way imaginable while being productive and engaged. And at the same time, by communing with his loving Creator in ways we can't fathom, he experienced the beginnings of all that the human condition could.

I tend to think that the new heaven and the new earth will be the new meeting spots for the Bride and the Bridegroom. I tend to think that this was already in our Savior's mind when He entered into the Counsel of Peace. (Zech. 6:13) I think that He took upon Himself our human nature, never to take it off again, yes supremely for the redemption of His bride! (Jn. 10:15) But He did not take that nature off. He is forever the God-Man (another new thing, I might add). He chose to become one of us. Forever. As I write this, Jesus has a 3-dimensional body, somewhere. Where? I have no clue. But the better question is why? Because He loves His bride. His elect bride of humans. Except this time, unlike Adam, they will be bone of His bone, and flesh of His flesh, (Eph. 5:30), partaking ever so slightly in His divine nature. (2 Pet. 1:4) And by adding our nature to His Divine forever, Jesus disclosed His beloved heart. He wants to be with us. He wants to live among us in glory. And do what humans do, and love what humans love, being one. "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God." (Rev. 2:13)

That's beautiful poetic imagery, but the reality might just blow us away. Will there be a Regenesis? Is it possible that the new heaven and the new earth will be much like pre-fall creation? With a universe, a solar system, and time?2 Except this time, the LORD will not leave. He's staying because He's one of us. And will we worship God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, formally and informally, by enjoying all pure things inherent to our nature? Does it mean cities, agriculture, art, food, government, travel, and friendship, alongside perfect worship, praise, glory, honor, in endless discovery of God? I wonder.

I share your enthusiasm, brother. I've at times convinced our local wrens to eat directly from my hand and am trying to befriend a murder of crows near my house and another at the church building. Whether this earth is renewed or recreated I definitely think it will be recognizable in eternity and we'll be able to fully care for all aspects of God's creation. It's so sad that fallen man confuses God with his creation and cannot adore Him and recognize the work of an incredible maker.

Last edited:
This much I do know, however, there will be an actual earth and an actual heaven.

Amen!

I dont worry too much about the "how" the new heavens and new earth are created, via revamp or replacement. What tantalizes my imagination is the aspect of being in the presence of our Savior, and not being able to sin. For me, the not being able to sin is what I think about to a greater degree. Every thought, every idea, every reaction, every response, will be sinless. Will we be able to make mistakes in the life to come, I think absolutely. But will we be able to look at a beautiful sister in the Lord and lust, look at anothers wealth and covet, judge unrighteously, and have any other feeling but selfless love for our neighbors? No, we wont. We will never be ashamed to look in the eyes of our Lord, because our hearts and minds will be made pure. Just think of the type of civilization that will exist, in what ever lot we find ourselves in? Are we a laborer or the architect? It doesnt matter because all will be done intrinsically for the glory of God and the love of others. I do not believe this will be a matter of free-will, but instead that by our renewed nature we will be thus.

And then to sit in the presence of our Lord; to daily learn of the endless depths of his knowledge. To have the Bible expounded and theology set straight. To have each meaning of each text perfectly validated. To have a genuine account, not by systems of hermeneutics, or the interpretation of various expositions; but by the Word made manifest.

Another thing that excites me is the potential for mankind, to become brilliantly exceptional. To think, after we have been in the new life for 1 billion years, it would be as if that billion years is a grain of sand in a desert of grains of equal time. Do you want to learn how to play the piano? You could spend a 1000 years learning. Do you want to be proficient at Kung Fu? You will have a 1000 years to learn it. Do you want to explore? You will have an eternity to explore things more beautiful than they are now. I think this is one of the beautiful things about eternity; that is, the least person in the kingdom of heaven, will have the potential to be greater (in all things) than the greatest person (besides Jesus) that ever walked in this fallen world.

This is often why I ponder those infatuated with hobbies, or frequent vacationers; there are even Christians that promote YOLO (you only live once,) when I think one of the reasons the examples in the NT were seemingly not concerned with any of the worldly affairs that come to distract us all, is because they had a genuine sense of eternity. That is, our time here is like a vapor, yet we will be someplace soon that is forever; and nothing that we may miss here, save marriage, sex, or children; will be withheld from us if it is not sinful.

I could be wrong on all of this, but it is exciting to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back