Interaction btwn Ruling and Teaching Elder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Privileged2Preach

Puritan Board Freshman
So I'm working through Samuel Miller's "Ruling Elder" (I'm a TE in a PCA church, some 12 years) and recently moved to a new pastorate that has a very different dynamic btwn RE and TE. The former church had a very "clean" inter-relationship between RE and TE - (1) all matters - where Scripture speaks - are to be settled from Scripture. (2) where Scripture doesn't plainly speak ( e.g., length of service / translation preached from / musical genre used, etc) the TE is to propose an answer, the Session discuss as a whole all Scriptural considerations, as well the the practical implications of the proposal for the congregation, and then vote the proposal up or down.

Philosopically, all elders are pastors, and have an equal say in the polity of the individual congregation. TE's are not to be dictators, but neither are TE's an employee of the session, taking direction from them as an underling. Where Scripture doesn't specifically speak, and no negative impact foreseen on the proposed policy, the former church essentially "followed my lead." Or... perhaps...we all shared a unified view on thematters up for discussion. I'm not sure, now, really.

The vocational, paid full time TE whose labor is in the word and doctrine, does practically take a lead in proposing and leading / teaching even the RE's how the church should proceed in these matters...where Scripture doesn't specifically speak. The TE is responsible for elder / deacon training. The TE is the moderator of the session. (PCA BCO) As one pastor said to me whern I asked if the TE is to set the vision of the church, and then seek RE approval.... "That's what every pastor is trying to do." Practically, the whole church has one Head, the Lord Jesus Christ. A corporation has a single CEO that must answer to a board. A pure democracy is ultimately leaderless, and descends into schisms and factions. SOMEONE has to lead... in a Christ-like, gentle, patient manner. But someONE MUST lead.

So.... I'm looking for all biblical / practical direction how TE and RE are to inter-relate and work together for the glory of God.
 
The session leads. The TE is not a CEO. I don't have much time tonight to note that the role of the Pastor is not to be the CEO of the "organization". The whole point of Elder rule is that it is not "ruled" by one but the Session. The Moderator, in fact, only votes when there is a tie on the Session.
 
The Moderator, in fact, only votes when there is a tie on the Session.
If I recall, the Courts disagree... the Pastor is a full-fledged member with full-voting rights. When and where wisdom might dictate that the Pastor refrain from voting, nonetheless, the Pastor is able to vote, at his discretion.

Found it...

Screenshot 2025-04-24 at 6.46.40 PM.png
 
Last edited:
If I recall, the Courts disagree... the Pastor is a full-fledged member with full-voting rights. When and where wisdom might dictate that the Pastor refrain from voting, nonetheless, the Pastor is able to vote, at his discretion.

Found it...

View attachment 11941
That's a helpful reminder. My point was more that the Pastor is not a CEO and the Moderator does not designate him as such.
 
Mr OP - this is your second thread today with basically the same question.

It sounds to me like you’ve got yourself a situation there and you might be better served by reaching out in confidence to someone within your Presbytery to offer practical assistance on how to move forward with your particular session.
 
Reply
The session leads. The TE is not a CEO. I don't have much time tonight to note that the role of the Pastor is not to be the CEO of the "organization". The whole point of Elder rule is that it is not "ruled" by one but the Session. The Moderator, in fact, only votes when there is a tie on the Session.

I'm certainly not viewing the pastor as a dictator.

And I believe the role of the "secular" CEO is misunderstood. As a former CPA with a wide range of experience with many CEO's , I can tell you (s)he is not an autonomous dictator.

A CEO is but one of the corporate heads, along with the CFO, the the CIO, CTO, COO etc. He acts only in concert with them, and is accountable to them.

Further the CEO is accountable to the Board of Directors, and shareholders. The CEO is far from autonomous, or an absolute authority, or dictatorial.

In fact, the CEO's reality is that he holds a singular role - the executive - and that role is one of accountability and responsibility to others, not one of authority and autonomy.

So I do find some analagous correlation btwn the corporate CEO and pastor as defined in BCO 21.5, particualrly Q's 7-8
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top