Introductory commentaries on Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henoch

Puritan Board Freshman
Grace to you and peace brethren
I know very little eschatology(since I came from mostly a charismatic dispensationalist background - which thinks every single symbolism in Revelation must be interpreted literally) but now am leaning away from dispensationalist towards other post- millenial& historical interpretations after becoming reformed. Is there like a short, simple to read commentary on Revelation you could suggest for me? I was thinking of going through Gill's commentary(I think he sees the antichrist as the Romanist system), would any of you recommend it?
 
I haven't read the whole thing, but I think Gill is probably good. He actually may have predicted the year Napoleon overthrew Antichrist the pope, but despite that I am not so sure his interpetation on that point is right. It very well could be.
James Durham's commentary also seems to be good, though I only read small portions of it. There is an edition you can buy (I believe by Naphtali Press), and an older edition is availble online here: https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A37035.0001.001?view=toc
A few cautions on getting into the historical Protestant escatology:

- It is tempting to immidiately try to answer the harder parts of Revelation, discover where we are today, date the 1260 days and so on. That's upside down. I would recommend to first study the prophecies on AntiChrist the Pope in thessalonians, Revelation 17, Daniel 7 and so on, and expand from there. Here is a good resource on the Antichrist, from Gavin Beers, a minister in the Presbytery of the United States (FCC):

- Until you get a grasp on the book as a whole, take each interpetation you believe with a mountain of salt, as you may encounter interpetations of crazy concpiracy theorists or find yourself misunderstanding a part of the book due to influence from a diffrent paradigm, whose view of the book is partial and slightly out of order (in my opinion).

- Not many today take this view anymore. This means that studying it you may develop a Scottish accent, and also that you will hear many counter arguments that are not very thought out but rather someone who discounted it before understanding it.

- It may sound hard to believe that the pathetic guy in Rome is antichrist today (Frank the Hippie Pope; let the hearer understand). Even consistent papists struggle with the current situation. But this is precisely a reason to believe he is indeed antichrist. As you study further you will find the judgments that brought him so low fortold over a millenia before it accoured.

- Take my own comment with more than a pinch of salt. While I held that the pope of Rome is That Antichrist for a while, it was not something I held strongly - it was more like "okay I can't get away from this". I held this doctrine alongside a very partial preterism for a while and after that alongside idealism (spoiler: it dosen't work). So the historical understanding of Revelation 4-16 is still new to me.


There is a facebook group called "Reformed Historicism". You can both use facebooks search in a group function to find old posts with a certain keyword, and post your'e own inquiries. Puritanboard does not have too many historicists who answer or post eschatology threads.


You will find Preterists, Futurists, Idealists, and Modified Idealists giving you their'e own views here. This is one subject on which Presbyterianism is no longer in agreement in any sense of the word.
I suspect one very specific person here will tell you how the sorceries in the book are America's narcotic plauge. What can I say - look into it if you feel you have to. If you are convinced on the point of antichrist though his view will be hard to reconsile with Babylon being the Roman Antichrist. At most, it may be a referance to incense or some papist relation to the drug trade.


Edit: Here is another resource I found useful. It gives a good overview of Revelation, though as I said I am a learner myself so I can't sign of on every particular application he makes: https://web.sermonaudio.com/broadcasters/phoenixrpc/series/151629
 
Last edited:
Is there like a short, simple to read commentary on Revelation you could suggest for me
Lets study Revelation by Derek Thomas is a short and simple commentary rich in theological and spiritual reflection

 
Lets study Revelation by Derek Thomas is a short and simple commentary rich in theological and spiritual reflection

which paradigm does it take? Futurist, Preterist, Idealists, Historical Protestant? (I assume not Dispensationalist because it's Derek Thomas).
 
I can't recommend any particular written commentaries, but to supplement your reading, you might try listening to Greg Bahnsen's Sunday School series on Revelation, which is essentially an audio commentary. While the entire series is quite long, listening to even the first episode would be very profitable in setting the stage for the book.

Free at sermonaudio: https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=102820221492729
 
which paradigm does it take? Futurist, Preterist, Idealists, Historical Protestant? (I assume not Dispensationalist because it's Derek Thomas).
Broadly Idealist. It is a standard Reformed work. Others have recommended Dennis Johnsons work. It is an excellent work. You mentioned you want a short simple work. Derek Thomas's work is more short and simple than Dennis Johnsons book. Theologically both are very similar.
 
Last edited:
While I have a very high respect for the Puritans in many areas, Revelation commentaries is not one of them. They are mostly historicist, a position I do not find very attractive, as it often descends into allegorical interpretation. A modified-idealist approach is, in my opinion, much more healthy. I recommend Derek Thomas, Dennis Johnson, Douglas Kelly, Richard Phillips, Joel Beeke, and William Hendriksen's More Than Conquerors as introductory commentaries. I do have a complete sermon series on Revelation on Sermon Audio. Unfortunately, they weren't collected into a series on the website, so you'd have to search by text.
 
Personally I like historicism, because it lines up well with the method of interpretation that is widely accepted for the book of Daniel and other Old Testament apocalyptic literature. If Revelation must be interpreted totally differently than Daniel and other Old Testament prophets, the burden of proof is really on those who would make that assertion.
Today idealistic amillennialism is far more popular, so the burden of proof is often placed on the historicist, and that may be fair in terms of the historical moment we are in and its prevailing winds, but I don't agree it's fair in terms of hermeneutical consistency.
Now, that's not to say I endorse any particular shade of historicism or the claims of any one author.
In terms of the commentaries I've read, I've found good things in Thomas Goodwin and Campegius Vitringa. The parts of Durham I've read were good, although his prose is dense and unwieldy. I don't think Brakel has much to offer that can't be found in those other authors. I found little to like in very early historicists like Bullinger and Junius.
 
While I have a very high respect for the Puritans in many areas, Revelation commentaries is not one of them. They are mostly historicist, a position I do not find very attractive, as it often descends into allegorical interpretation. A modified-idealist approach is, in my opinion, much more healthy. I recommend Derek Thomas, Dennis Johnson, Douglas Kelly, Richard Phillips, Joel Beeke, and William Hendriksen's More Than Conquerors as introductory commentaries. I do have a complete sermon series on Revelation on Sermon Audio. Unfortunately, they weren't collected into a series on the website, so you'd have to search by text.
Personally I like historicism, because it lines up well with the method of interpretation that is widely accepted for the book of Daniel and other Old Testament apocalyptic literature. If Revelation must be interpreted totally differently than Daniel and other Old Testament prophets, the burden of proof is really on those who would make that assertion.
Today idealistic amillennialism is far more popular, so the burden of proof is often placed on the historicist, and that may be fair in terms of the historical moment we are in and its prevailing winds, but I don't agree it's fair in terms of hermeneutical consistency.
Now, that's not to say I endorse any particular shade of historicism or the claims of any one author.
In terms of the commentaries I've read, I've found good things in Thomas Goodwin and Campegius Vitringa. The parts of Durham I've read were good, although his prose is dense and unwieldy. I don't think Brakel has much to offer that can't be found in those other authors. I found little to like in very early historicists like Bullinger and Junius.

I have sympathy to disregard of Historicism, because there is very little today in the way of defenses or explenations of this view, and older commentaries are outdated in two senses: refutation of new ideas, and application of certain passages that were future in their'e time.
Additionally, if you already use one of the other paradigms, and then try to dive into historicist views of a random chapter in the upside down way I described above, or into those places where historicists disageee, these applications will not make sense. It will look very arbitrary, because you are already commited to a faulty paradigm.
Idealism is better than futurism and preterism, and while it may be residue of my own idealist days, I get it's appeal. Perhaps many Idealist interpetations do have merit as an application of the prophecy to people in other times, as we often do in biblical narrative or fulfilled OT prophecy.
 
1. Revelation: Four Views, A Parallel Commentary by Steve Gregg.
Steve provides the historicist, futurist, preterist, and idealist side-by-side and verse-by-verse.

2. Bruce Gore's series on Revelation is free on youtube and is fantastic. Gore actually memorized the entire book.
(Preterist view)

3. Ken Gentry's upcoming two volume commentary (due in March 2024?) is sure to become an instant classic.
 
Last edited:
1. Revelation: Four Views, A Parallel Commentary by Steve Gregg.
Steve provides the historicist, futurist, preterist, and idealist side-by-side and verse-by-verse.

2. Bruce Gore's series on Revelation is free on youtube and is fantastic. Gore actually memorized the entire book.

3. Ken Gentry's upcoming two volume commentary (due in March 2024?) is sure to become an instant classic.
I’m rubbing my hands waiting to get Dr. Gentry’s Revelation commentary.

1. Revelation: Four Views, A Parallel Commentary by Steve Gregg.
Steve provides the historicist, futurist, preterist, and idealist side-by-side and verse-by-verse.

2. Bruce Gore's series on Revelation is free on youtube and is fantastic. Gore actually memorized the entire book.

3. Ken Gentry's upcoming two volume commentary (due in March 2024?) is sure to become an instant classic.
I have the Four Views book and it’s a worthwhile read.

Grace to you and peace brethren
I know very little eschatology(since I came from mostly a charismatic dispensationalist background - which thinks every single symbolism in Revelation must be interpreted literally) but now am leaning away from dispensationalist towards other post- millenial& historical interpretations after becoming reformed. Is there like a short, simple to read commentary on Revelation you could suggest for me? I was thinking of going through Gill's commentary(I think he sees the antichrist as the Romanist system), would any of you recommend it?
David Chilton’s “Days of Vengeance” is a good read, too.
 
I've just starting reading Thomas Schreiner's new Commentary for BECNT and it is excellent. He is generally easy to read and interacts with multiple well-known commentators and especially contrasts his view (amil, Partial Preterist/Idealist) with dispensationalist views in way that would be helpful for those coming from that background. So I'll throw that out there in addition to the great titles above.

I had previously read his condensed one for the ESV exegetical commentary set which was a very helpful, short commentary with application at the end of each section. So if you can get your hands on that it may serve you better as a brief commentary though I don't believe it's available apart from the linked set.
 
Personally I like historicism, because it lines up well with the method of interpretation that is widely accepted for the book of Daniel and other Old Testament apocalyptic literature. If Revelation must be interpreted totally differently than Daniel and other Old Testament prophets, the burden of proof is really on those who would make that assertion.
Today idealistic amillennialism is far more popular, so the burden of proof is often placed on the historicist, and that may be fair in terms of the historical moment we are in and its prevailing winds, but I don't agree it's fair in terms of hermeneutical consistency.
Now, that's not to say I endorse any particular shade of historicism or the claims of any one author.
In terms of the commentaries I've read, I've found good things in Thomas Goodwin and Campegius Vitringa. The parts of Durham I've read were good, although his prose is dense and unwieldy. I don't think Brakel has much to offer that can't be found in those other authors. I found little to like in very early historicists like Bullinger and Junius.
What is/are the Thomas Goodwin resource(s)?
 
I'm curious how many of these commentaries deal with eschatological issues addressed elsewhere in the Bible, especially the Old Testament symbology? I believe one of the reasons the church has yet to come to a consensus on the issue is that we tend to look at prophetic passages one at a time and come up with fairly persuasive interpretations of them, but then we compare them across other Scriptures--even ones using the same language like "the day of the Lord" or "end of the age"--and end up with conflict. I believe the most helpful commentary on Revelation will refer liberally to Ezekiel, Isaiah, 2 Thessalonians, Olivet Discourse, Josephus, etc., etc.
 
Personally I like historicism, because it lines up well with the method of interpretation that is widely accepted for the book of Daniel and other Old Testament apocalyptic literature. If Revelation must be interpreted totally differently than Daniel and other Old Testament prophets, the burden of proof is really on those who would make that assertion.

I think that is the strongest argument for historicism and one I always hold in the back of my mind as I try to understand the book.

Another vote for Steve Gregg or Dennis Johnson for introductory works.
 
What is the Reformed historicist consensus today on where are we in Revelation (not being snide, am curious as one studying Rev. now)?
 
What is the Reformed historicist consensus today on where are we in Revelation (not being snide, am curious as one studying Rev. now)?
this is very possibly the upside-down method I mentioned, but I will provide my answer anyway. Most would say we are passed the fifth seal, but that the seventh is not yet poured. I have heard some who place us in the fifth or seventh.
 
Personally I like historicism, because it lines up well with the method of interpretation that is widely accepted for the book of Daniel and other Old Testament apocalyptic literature. If Revelation must be interpreted totally differently than Daniel and other Old Testament prophets, the burden of proof is really on those who would make that assertion.
Hello Charles – a few thoughts on your remark above.

Yes, the method of interpretation for Daniel is not equivalent to the apocalyptic work of Revelation. It is the point of Daniel to declare the specific kingdoms and nations and their qualities, and the historical progression of these kingdoms' and their declines and downfalls. Yes, Daniel uses symbols and imagery to depict rulers and kingdoms in history. It is explicitly stated to be historical. But it is not apocalyptic in genre as Revelation is.

While Revelation does deal with historical figures (though the pointing out of Nero is highly contested) and nations (it is clear that the Roman Empire is singled out as the beast from the sea in John's day), from the second century on in the Apocalypse of Jesus – the uncovering of events are more spiritual dynamics reiterated (recapitulation is the term often used), such as gospel proclamation, then persecution, then judgments on the persecutors. These dynamics recapitulate up through the centuries, intensifying greatly as the end of the age draws nearer.

And there are many "beasts" – Christian-persecuting rulers and governments – up through the centuries, unidentified, and wars, etc, unidentified. There was no need to identify them, as the nature of the age – wars, pestilences, famines, gross injustices – was foretold in the opening of the seals.

Nowhere – after the first century – is there any explicit nation or ruler indicated, named; and it is all essentially eisegesis to posit such. However – and it's a big however – we are given hints of a final beast antitype arising and gathering a coalition of nations to wreak destruction on nations opposing him and/or it, and especially to wreak destruction on the people of God, the Messiah's people, the Christians.

It is clear that the papal system so fits the beast character and activity that it is accurate in the interpretation that system is being spoken of, and identified by the Reformation leaders. But Islam and other attempts to identify nations or movements do not have that clarity or certainty.

It is also unclear that in the very end of the age and that beast spoken of, that he and/or it (as it may be a government as well as an individual) is part of the papal system. It is for this reason (of unclarity) that the American revision of the Westminster confession refers to the pope as an antichrist or man of sin, and not the antichrist.

The hermeneutic for understanding Revelation is markedly different than it is for Daniel. To repeat, Daniel explicitly identifies nations and rulers, whereas Revelation does not. Alexander the Great, and Antiochus Epiphanes were clearly referred to by ancient historians, and the wise among the Jews.

Further – to go into the idealist hermeneutic (which was modified from Wm. Milligan's full idealist approach, to Beale et al's "modified" or "eclectic" idealism, which allows some – i.e., very few – historical events. Beale himself says, “...certainly there are prophecies of the future in Revelation. The crucial yet problematic task of the interpreter is to identify through careful exegesis and against the historical background those texts which pertain respectively to past present and future.” (G.K. Beale, New International Greek Testament Commentary: Revelation, Eerdmans 1999, p 49).

So far, none of the contemporary "modified idealist" commentators have, apart from the 1st century doings, named specific historical events or people. Where I fit in – as a modified idealist – is identifying Revelation 9's fifth trumpet vision which depicts an angel opening the “bottomless pit” or “abyss” – the ability and authority to do this given by God – and out of the opening thus created poured such a cloud of thick, black smoke – as though from a huge furnace – that the sun and the air were made dark by it. And this heavy smoke belched forth demonic beings resembling a swarm of locusts that covered the whole earth, though not real locusts, as they were commanded not to hurt the earth and its greenery as locusts do, but to torment men for a set, limited period of time, and to torment them so badly they would want to die, but couldn’t bring themselves to do it.

Basically my view is this: what is shown in Rev 9:1,2,3,4's symbolic vision is an immense influx of demonic influence and presence darkening the spiritual / intellectual aspect of humankind's collective consciousness through the sorcery-enabling drugs – pharmakeia, sorcery – spoken of in Revelation 18:23, 9:21, which are the very drugs used and heralded by the sixties and seventies counterculture of the U.S. that were exported into most of the world and which – in retrospect – are seen to constitute a prophesied event clearly depicted in Scripture. Geerhardus Vos, although speaking of discerning the Antichrist, enunciated a principle applicable here,

“[It] belongs among the many prophecies, whose best and final exegete will be the eschatological fulfillment, and in regard to which it behooves the saints to exercise a peculiar kind of eschatological patience.” (The Pauline Eschatology, p. 133)​

O.T. Allis in his book, Prophecy and the Church, expressed the same sentiment:

“The usual view on this subject [‘the intelligibility of prophecy’] has been that prophecy is not intended to be fully understood before its fulfilment, that it is only when God ‘establishes the word of his servants and fulfills the counsel of his messengers,’ that the meaning and import of their words become fully manifest.” (p 25)​

Stuart Olyott in his, Dare to Stand Alone: Daniel Simply Explained, thinks likewise:

“We must realize that some of the Bible’s teachings relating to the very last days will not be understood until we are in those days. That is why it is both unwise and dangerous to draw up detailed timetables of future events. Some parts of the Word of God will not become obvious in their meaning until the days of which they speak have dawned.” (p 166)​

These three men were amil eclectic idealists.

Recreational sorcery – initially a glorious time for the 60s and 70s counterculture, thinking they had been gifted with new sacraments – LSD, magic mushrooms, grass, hashish, DMT, and agents with like properties – and they knew there was a definite spiritual component to them, and they believed they now had the energy and inner resources to really change the world. Perhaps most of you younger folks haven't seen the Beatles' film, The Yellow Submarine, but it was specifically about this supposed new spiritual revelation for the liberation of humankind.

But, after a while, the angelic and glorious wonder of the psychedelic revolution showed itself to be in essence demonic, as the human heart was not intrinsically good, but evil, and self-centered. The Yellow Submarine sank, and with it the hopes and dreams of a vast generation. Some went to the East, to be seekers of the Oriental spirituality. The Christian faith was gutted in the eyes of multitudes, as the drugs supposedly showed that true spiritual power, even divinity – of some sort, at any rate – was within, and that there was no external God.

What we see now, some 60 years later, in our culture – the madness, vulgarity, violence, governmental disinformation and oppressive dystopian-type rule taking place – bespeak a new order of governance, a malign new order. Demonic influence and presence is rampant in the general populace.

I can understand and sympathize with the postmil view, it being very attractive and hopeful – long-run hopeful at any rate – given the evil of the present age.

Locating the fifth trumpet in an historical ongoing event (for this peculiar drug culture is expanding and intensifying today), and then morphing into the sixth trumpet where violence and global deaths are increasing – this gives us a general, not a specific – idea that we are far along in the time left humankind.

To what, I ask those skeptical of what I am positing, do you attribute the radical deterioration of our society and general culture? Evil is flooding our world like a tsunami. Something is afoot that is not natural.

At any rate, I just wanted to differentiate between the Old Testament's interpretive method, particularly Daniel's, and ours in the New Testament era. And to give a hint at new insights in Amil understanding. Here's a booklet on it: Our Sorcerous Age: Prelude to Armageddon.
 

Attachments

Hello Charles – a few thoughts on your remark above.

Yes, the method of interpretation for Daniel is not equivalent to the apocalyptic work of Revelation. It is the point of Daniel to declare the specific kingdoms and nations and their qualities, and the historical progression of these kingdoms' and their declines and downfalls. Yes, Daniel uses symbols and imagery to depict rulers and kingdoms in history. It is explicitly stated to be historical. But it is not apocalyptic in genre as Revelation is.

While Revelation does deal with historical figures (though the pointing out of Nero is highly contested) and nations (it is clear that the Roman Empire is singled out as the beast from the sea in John's day), from the second century on in the Apocalypse of Jesus – the uncovering of events are more spiritual dynamics reiterated (recapitulation is the term often used), such as gospel proclamation, then persecution, then judgments on the persecutors. These dynamics recapitulate up through the centuries, intensifying greatly as the end of the age draws nearer.

And there are many "beasts" – Christian-persecuting rulers and governments – up through the centuries, unidentified, and wars, etc, unidentified. There was no need to identify them, as the nature of the age – wars, pestilences, famines, gross injustices – was foretold in the opening of the seals.

Nowhere – after the first century – is there any explicit nation or ruler indicated, named; and it is all essentially eisegesis to posit such. However – and it's a big however – we are given hints of a final beast antitype arising and gathering a coalition of nations to wreak destruction on nations opposing him and/or it, and especially to wreak destruction on the people of God, the Messiah's people, the Christians.

It is clear that the papal system so fits the beast character and activity that it is accurate in the interpretation that system is being spoken of, and identified by the Reformation leaders. But Islam and other attempts to identify nations or movements do not have that clarity or certainty.

It is also unclear that in the very end of the age and that beast spoken of, that he and/or it (as it may be a government as well as an individual) is part of the papal system. It is for this reason (of unclarity) that the American revision of the Westminster confession refers to the pope as an antichrist or man of sin, and not the antichrist.

The hermeneutic for understanding Revelation is markedly different than it is for Daniel. To repeat, Daniel explicitly identifies nations and rulers, whereas Revelation does not. Alexander the Great, and Antiochus Epiphanes were clearly referred to by ancient historians, and the wise among the Jews.

Further – to go into the idealist hermeneutic (which was modified from Wm. Milligan's full idealist approach, to Beale et al's "modified" or "eclectic" idealism, which allows some – i.e., very few – historical events. Beale himself says, “...certainly there are prophecies of the future in Revelation. The crucial yet problematic task of the interpreter is to identify through careful exegesis and against the historical background those texts which pertain respectively to past present and future.” (G.K. Beale, New International Greek Testament Commentary: Revelation, Eerdmans 1999, p 49).

So far, none of the contemporary "modified idealist" commentators have, apart from the 1st century doings, named specific historical events or people. Where I fit in – as a modified idealist – is identifying Revelation 9's fifth trumpet vision which depicts an angel opening the “bottomless pit” or “abyss” – the ability and authority to do this given by God – and out of the opening thus created poured such a cloud of thick, black smoke – as though from a huge furnace – that the sun and the air were made dark by it. And this heavy smoke belched forth demonic beings resembling a swarm of locusts that covered the whole earth, though not real locusts, as they were commanded not to hurt the earth and its greenery as locusts do, but to torment men for a set, limited period of time, and to torment them so badly they would want to die, but couldn’t bring themselves to do it.

Basically my view is this: what is shown in Rev 9:1,2,3,4's symbolic vision is an immense influx of demonic influence and presence darkening the spiritual / intellectual aspect of humankind's collective consciousness through the sorcery-enabling drugs – pharmakeia, sorcery – spoken of in Revelation 18:23, 9:21, which are the very drugs used and heralded by the sixties and seventies counterculture of the U.S. that were exported into most of the world and which – in retrospect – are seen to constitute a prophesied event clearly depicted in Scripture. Geerhardus Vos, although speaking of discerning the Antichrist, enunciated a principle applicable here,

“[It] belongs among the many prophecies, whose best and final exegete will be the eschatological fulfillment, and in regard to which it behooves the saints to exercise a peculiar kind of eschatological patience.” (The Pauline Eschatology, p. 133)​

O.T. Allis in his book, Prophecy and the Church, expressed the same sentiment:

“The usual view on this subject [‘the intelligibility of prophecy’] has been that prophecy is not intended to be fully understood before its fulfilment, that it is only when God ‘establishes the word of his servants and fulfills the counsel of his messengers,’ that the meaning and import of their words become fully manifest.” (p 25)​

Stuart Olyott in his, Dare to Stand Alone: Daniel Simply Explained, thinks likewise:

“We must realize that some of the Bible’s teachings relating to the very last days will not be understood until we are in those days. That is why it is both unwise and dangerous to draw up detailed timetables of future events. Some parts of the Word of God will not become obvious in their meaning until the days of which they speak have dawned.” (p 166)​

These three men were amil eclectic idealists.

Recreational sorcery – initially a glorious time for the 60s and 70s counterculture, thinking they had been gifted with new sacraments – LSD, magic mushrooms, grass, hashish, DMT, and agents with like properties – and they knew there was a definite spiritual component to them, and they believed they now had the energy and inner resources to really change the world. Perhaps most of you younger folks haven't seen the Beatles' film, The Yellow Submarine, but it was specifically about this supposed new spiritual revelation for the liberation of humankind.

But, after a while, the angelic and glorious wonder of the psychedelic revolution showed itself to be in essence demonic, as the human heart was not intrinsically good, but evil, and self-centered. The Yellow Submarine sank, and with it the hopes and dreams of a vast generation. Some went to the East, to be seekers of the Oriental spirituality. The Christian faith was gutted in the eyes of multitudes, as the drugs supposedly showed that true spiritual power, even divinity – of some sort, at any rate – was within, and that there was no external God.

What we see now, some 60 years later, in our culture – the madness, vulgarity, violence, governmental disinformation and oppressive dystopian-type rule taking place – bespeak a new order of governance, a malign new order. Demonic influence and presence is rampant in the general populace.

I can understand and sympathize with the postmil view, it being very attractive and hopeful – long-run hopeful at any rate – given the evil of the present age.

Locating the fifth trumpet in an historical ongoing event (for this peculiar drug culture is expanding and intensifying today), and then morphing into the sixth trumpet where violence and global deaths are increasing – this gives us a general, not a specific – idea that we are far along in the time left humankind.

To what, I ask those skeptical of what I am positing, do you attribute the radical deterioration of our society and general culture? Evil is flooding our world like a tsunami. Something is afoot that is not natural.

At any rate, I just wanted to differentiate between the Old Testament's interpretive method, particularly Daniel's, and ours in the New Testament era. And to give a hint at new insights in Amil understanding. Here's a booklet on it: Our Sorcerous Age: Prelude to Armageddon.
Rev. Rasfalky,
While I do not intend to engage in very prolonged questioning (or perhaps even debate as I have a clearer view) this time as I have done in the past (and currently I am on few hours of sleep so I hope my messege is coherant), but if one of the trumpets* has a historical fulfillment, and they are all said to be in progression, isn't that reason to believe they would all have a historic fullfilment that would be in progression, including the more brief ones that may otherwise loose all meaning? If you affirm that, you are not far from the Historical Protestant eschatology.

* Originally said seals, I intended to speak about the trumpets
 
Last edited:
and they are all said to be in progression, isn't that reason to believe they would all have a historic fullfilment that would be in progression, including the more brief ones that may otherwise loose all meaning? If you affirm that, you are not far from the Historical Protestant eschatology.

Not necessarily. Almost all premillennialists , for example, believe in a historical (or better, chronological) fulfillment of the seals. It's just in the future.
 
Not necessarily. Almost all premillennialists , for example, believe in a historical (or better, chronological) fulfillment of the seals. It's just in the future.
Closer than idealism. And I am not going to debate this rabbit-trail from my original question to him further, since as I said I do not intend to enter a leangthy "eschatology q&a to mr. Rastfalky and a Ramist Thomist", but ask a very specific question.
 
Grace to you and peace brethren
I know very little eschatology(since I came from mostly a charismatic dispensationalist background - which thinks every single symbolism in Revelation must be interpreted literally) but now am leaning away from dispensationalist towards other post- millenial& historical interpretations after becoming reformed. Is there like a short, simple to read commentary on Revelation you could suggest for me? I was thinking of going through Gill's commentary(I think he sees the antichrist as the Romanist system), would any of you recommend it?
I like Calvin's...:duh:

Wish we could have peered into his thoughts on that book!


Blessings!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top