Is there such thing as Common Grace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Longer A Libertine

Puritan Board Senior
Certainly the sun sets and rises on the wicked but if one is created as a reprobate can it really be called grace to exist?

Perhaps this is a matter of semantics but is it really grace to be permitted to live a hedonist's life and then find the wrath of God in eternity?

Does scripture not say it would be better to have not been born?

Obviously the reprobate exist to show the elect what grace they have been afforded and because their offspring or grandchildren may be destined trophies of grace, but is it proper to call it common grace that the non-believer lives?

God certainly has a plan for all and the hedonist and tyrant are but manifestations of who they belong to but I'm not so sure I would count their days on this earth to be an act of grace.

Opinions? Rebuttals?
 
Certainly the sun sets and rises on the wicked but if one is created as a reprobate can it really be called grace to exist?

Perhaps this is a matter of semantics but is it really grace to be permitted to live a hedonist's life and then find the wrath of God in eternity?

Does scripture not say it would be better to have not been born?

Obviously the reprobate exist to show the elect what grace they have been afforded and because their offspring or grandchildren may be destined trophies of grace, but is it proper to call it common grace that the non-believer lives?

God certainly has a plan for all and the hedonist and tyrant are but manifestations of who they belong to but I'm not so sure I would count their days on this earth to be an act of grace.

Opinions? Rebuttals?

The archives have plenty on the subject; For what it's worth, if you do a simple word study, you will see that nowhere in all of scripture is the word grace used in regards to the unregenerate or reprobate.
 
The archives have plenty on the subject; For what it's worth, if you do a simple word study, you will see that nowhere in all of scripture is the word grace used in regards to the unregenerate or reprobate.
This is true but it is the typical reference to the non-Christian existence even in Reformed circles.
 
Can you give me an example of "typical"?
I've heard many Presbyterian ministers and college age students describe the common grace our unbelieving friends live beneath.

They cite the fact that he breaths as a gift and that he is still an image bearer who can perform artistic works pleasing to God to see in His creation.

I don't know that I agree with such.

I think it is an effort to temper away from a possible hyper-calvinist appearance.

I've heard it said that God loves all but not equally, I don't know that i agree with this either.
 
I've heard many Presbyterian ministers and college age students describe the common grace our unbelieving friends live beneath.

It is a by-product of Gods grace on His elect.

They cite the fact that he breaths as a gift and that he is still an image bearer who can perform artistic works pleasing to God to see in His creation.

Nothing that the unregenerate do is 'pleasing' to God. In fact, what they try and offer is no less than an abomination. The fact that God lets them brath and live is so that they are able to fill up their cup of condemnation for the day of judgment when it will be used to bring God the Glory he deserves.

I don't know that I agree with such.

I think it is an effort to temper away from a possible hyper-calvinist appearance.

It is Arminian.

I've heard it said that God loves all but not equally, I don't know that i agree with this either.

There are plenty of examples in scripture where the word hate is used. God is not schizophrenic!
 
Well these things are present in Reformed circles, I assure you these people hold to the Doctrines of Grace despite my disagreements on these finer points.
 
I think Engelsma does an excellent job addressing this question in his book Common Grace Revisited. He refutes Kuyper's novel views of common grace very effectively in it. I was really surprised to learn what Kuyper taught. .http://www.rfpa.org/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=69
Thanks for the Engelsma reference.
In the Canons of Dordt the term common grace is a concept attributed to the Arminians.
The way Kuyper uses the term Common Grace differs from how the Christian Reformed Church Synod of 1924 uses the term Common Grace, and differs from how VanTil uses the term Common Grace.
 
Thanks for the Engelsma reference.
In the Canons of Dordt the term common grace is a concept attributed to the Arminians.
The way Kuyper uses the term Common Grace differs from how the Christian Reformed Church Synod of 1924 uses the term Common Grace, and differs from how VanTil uses the term Common Grace.
Please elaborate.
 
The way Kuyper uses the term Common Grace differs from how the Christian Reformed Church Synod of 1924 uses the term Common Grace, and differs from how VanTil uses the term Common Grace.

Which is one of the problems. There is no one set definition.
 
The Reformed doctrine of Common Grace was taught by John Calvin and many Post-Reformation leaders before Abraham Kuyper arrived on the scene.

It is well expressed by men such as John Murray and Louis Berkhof to name a couple.

See also Herman Kuiper's study of Calvin and Common Grace and David Silversides' The Free Offer: Biblical and Reformed.
 
Thanks for posting this thread. This is one of those things I have questions about; much of this does seem to be a matter of semantics.

I've heard that 'common grace' is what makes us appear to be decent people sometimes instead of the vile God-haters we are (before regeneration).

I've also heard that 'common grace' is what spares the lives of the lost who were in a Christian-driven vehicle that pulled into a rest stop instead of topping the hill to hit the interstate pile-up.

These appear to be two different phenomena, so a definition of terms is begged here. I think properly defining terms would clear up LOTS of bad/conflicting theology.
 
Nothing that the unregenerate do is 'pleasing' to God. In fact, what they try and offer is no less than an abomination. The fact that God lets them brath and live is so that they are able to fill up their cup of condemnation for the day of judgment when it will be used to bring God the Glory he deserves.

I can't speak for Presbyterians, but THIS is one thing Baptists don't seem to properly teach anymore.

An atheist who gives everything he has, to save the life of the child of his worst enemy, has greatly offended God by doing something 'good' and usurping the praise from God to himself. Likewise, an atheist who signs beautiful praise to God has greatly offended God, because what he did was not done of faith.


We need to start teaching this again, instead of telling ourselves that Joe Blow lost-guy next door is 'really a nice guy'.
 
I am not sure I am clear on this Chris. The atheist's life is an offense to God, but every action he takes is still controlled by a Sovereign God, even His Unbelief. The good he does in the absence of faith is no less under God's control and ordaining hand. His praise cannot and will not be usurped by the very fact that He is in control and Not man.

We all say things like "I think Joe or Roy is a nice guy." This is odd that you mention this. As I was walking in to work this morning, I walked by "Roy" a casual aquaintance where I work. I thought to myself, based on what I knew about Roy, that he was a nice guy. I quickly arrested my thoughts with the scripture that all our hearts are despeartly wicked and who can know them? Answer: only God knows. He turns the hearts and minds where he will. I found myself praying for Roy that God would be merciful to Him if He had not already done that--from a salvation perspective. We have all experienced a certain measure of God's common grace in our lives. I am thankful for that. We are aware that we are so much more needy however. We cannot stop there or be statisfied that others only receive God's common grace...but His marvelous saving Grace!

I can't speak for Presbyterians, but THIS is one thing Baptists don't seem to properly teach anymore.

An atheist who gives everything he has, to save the life of the child of his worst enemy, has greatly offended God by doing something 'good' and usurping the praise from God to himself. Likewise, an atheist who signs beautiful praise to God has greatly offended God, because what he did was not done of faith.


We need to start teaching this again, instead of telling ourselves that Joe Blow lost-guy next door is 'really a nice guy'.
 
I am not sure I am clear on this Chris. The atheist's life is an offense to God, but every action he takes is still controlled by a Sovereign God, even His Unbelief. The good he does in the absence of faith is no less under God's control and ordaining hand. His praise cannot and will not be usurped by the very fact that He is in control and Not man.

In the temporal sense, God doesn't get the praise for the 'good' things the atheist does. Eventually, yes (I'm reminded of Pharoh...oh yes, God WILL get the Glory for all!) but not in the temporal sense.
 
The link is to a sermon on Isaiah 53:8 by James Durham. I posted it to the old thread on common grace but that did not make it over when we transfered to the new forum system. It is too large to make the file size limits to upload (it is 139 KB). I think I need to reprint this volume since it is now some years out of print in the Naphtali edition (see a review by Rowland Ward and others here). It is now very hard to obtain on even the used market. It was my favorite but largest and most difficult project I think; it is almost as large as the Revelation commentary and recovering the author's intended outline across the 72 sermons proved trying ... Any way, see the sermon attached where he at least mentions so called "common" grace in passing at least before really dealing with the error of universal atonement. Sermon 33.
 
Reformed theologians generally maintain that the unregenerate can perform natural good, civil good, and outwardly religious good.[18] They call attention to the fact, however, that, while such works of the unregenerate are good from a material point of view, as works which God commanded, they cannot be called good from a formal point of view, since they do not spring from the right motive and do not aim at the right purpose. The Bible repeatedly speaks of works of the unregenerate as good and right, II Kings 10:29, 30; 12:2 (comp. II Chron. 24:17-25); 14:3,14-16,20,27 (comp. II Chron. 25:2); Luke 6:33; Rom. 2:14,15.

L.Berkhof
 
WCF XVI Of Good Works

VII. Works done by unregenerate men, although for the matter of them they may be things which God commands; and of good use both to themselves and others:[23] yet, because they proceed not from an heart purified by faith;[24] nor are done in a right manner, according to the Word;[25] nor to a right end, the glory of God,[26] they are therefore sinful and cannot please God, or make a man meet to receive grace from God:[27] and yet, their neglect of them is more sinful and displeasing unto God.[28]

[23] 2KI 10:30 And the Lord said unto Jehu, Because thou hast done well in executing that which is right in mine eyes, and hast done unto the house of Ahab according to all that was in mine heart, thy children of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel. 31 But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the Lord God of Israel with all his heart: for he departed not from the sins of Jeroboam, which made Israel to sin. 1KI 21:27 And it came to pass, when Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly. 29 Seest thou how Ahab humbleth himself before me? because he humbleth himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days: but in his son's days will I bring the evil upon his house. PHI 1:15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: PHI 1:16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds. 18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

[24] GEN 4:5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. HEB 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh. 6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

[25] 1CO 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. ISA 1:12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?

[26] MAT 6:2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

[27] HAG 2:14 Then answered Haggai, and said, So is this people, and so is this nation before me, saith the Lord; and so is every work of their hands; and that which they offer there is unclean. TIT 1:15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. AMO 5:21 I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. 22 Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. HOS 1:4 And the Lord said unto him, Call his name Jezreel; for yet a little while, and I will avenge the blood of Jezreel upon the house of Jehu, and will cause to cease the kingdom of the house of Israel. ROM 9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. TIT 3:15 All that are with me salute thee. Greet them that love us in the faith. Grace be with you all. Amen.

[28] PSA 14:4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the Lord. 36:3 The words of his mouth are iniquity and deceit: he hath left off to be wise, and to do good. JOB 21:14 Therefore they say unto God, Depart from us; for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways. 15 What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? and what profit should we have, if we pray unto him? MAT 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: 43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. MAT 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top