davejonescue
Puritan Board Graduate
As I have been thinking on 1 Tim. 4:8 a couple of thoughts come to mind.
1. Paul would was not speaking to a generation/nation where obesity was common place. Instead, meals were meager, often times plain, and work was often times laborious.
2. We live in a society where most meals are what would historically be considered dainty, delicate, luxurious, extravagant, etc. (Basically rich and high calorie.) Also, the work force seems to be about 50/50 laborious & sedentary.
3. In Pauls time, much of the Greek lore was centered around exceptional physical prowess, like Atlas.
Would this then make Pauls statements of comparing physical exercise and spiritual exercise, i.e. benefits little as opposed to godliness; possibly be misconstrued in our current context. Meaning, is Paul not talking about normal Adam type physicality, but Atlas type prowess? I ask this because it would seem in a context where the average citizen has to be borderline offensive to maintain physical normality; given the average meal is calorie dense, and often times work, physically easy; that maintaining an average form of physicality would be a form of godliness in the goal of good stewardship of the temple. While trying to excel or be like Ronnie Coleman would be the thing of little benefit comparative to spiritual prowess. I am just having a hard time imagining Paul looking at a nation of fat people, and telling them to forgo physical exercise to pursue godliness. But on the flip, I can easily see him tell a nation of relatively fit people not to pursue dreams of being like Atlas.
Is this eisigesis though? I dont want to make Paul say what he isnt just because we deal with a national obesity crisis.
1. Paul would was not speaking to a generation/nation where obesity was common place. Instead, meals were meager, often times plain, and work was often times laborious.
2. We live in a society where most meals are what would historically be considered dainty, delicate, luxurious, extravagant, etc. (Basically rich and high calorie.) Also, the work force seems to be about 50/50 laborious & sedentary.
3. In Pauls time, much of the Greek lore was centered around exceptional physical prowess, like Atlas.
Would this then make Pauls statements of comparing physical exercise and spiritual exercise, i.e. benefits little as opposed to godliness; possibly be misconstrued in our current context. Meaning, is Paul not talking about normal Adam type physicality, but Atlas type prowess? I ask this because it would seem in a context where the average citizen has to be borderline offensive to maintain physical normality; given the average meal is calorie dense, and often times work, physically easy; that maintaining an average form of physicality would be a form of godliness in the goal of good stewardship of the temple. While trying to excel or be like Ronnie Coleman would be the thing of little benefit comparative to spiritual prowess. I am just having a hard time imagining Paul looking at a nation of fat people, and telling them to forgo physical exercise to pursue godliness. But on the flip, I can easily see him tell a nation of relatively fit people not to pursue dreams of being like Atlas.
Is this eisigesis though? I dont want to make Paul say what he isnt just because we deal with a national obesity crisis.