Is your church a friendly church

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not particularly surprised by the mega-church survey results. I used to go to Redeemer PCA in Manhattan and, while it was massive (4,000+ at the Sunday services), there was a really strong emphasis on community and "getting connected", and as a result, it actually turned out to be a pretty "personal experience" after a while.

Our former church has the reputation of being very friendly. Unfortunately, that "friendliness" ends when people decide to leave - they simply disappear off the face of the earth. We were there for 28 years and "loved" by many but have been totally ignored by former brothers and sisters in the two years since we left. :(

However, the first time we visited our present church, a PCA, we were walking up the aisle to leave and a tall, grey-haired woman with a huge smile on her face approached us. I had a moment of panic, thinking, "She thinks she knows us and I haven't the foggiest idea who she is!!" She turned out to be a lovely Scottish lady with a beautiful burr who has become a good friend. As we left we were greeted by several other people. Within a few weeks we felt as if we had been in this particular church for years and have since made more firm relationships than we had ever had in the 28 years at our old church. First EP isn't perfect by any means and I have heard others complain about it not being particularly friendly but the folks there made us feel welcome at a very traumatic time in our lives and I will always be grateful for that.

By nature I'm not the most outgoing person and struggle to talk with visitors but I'm making the effort to reach out because people reached out to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back