James McConnell‏

Status
Not open for further replies.
James McConnell pastors what is probably the largest church Belfast. I know there was a split about 5 years ago but it is still a big church. He appears in the paper from time to time over controversial comments, or at least what the secular world considers controversial. He made the Islamic comments during a sermon over a week ago. The police considered the comments as a possible hate crime but as of yet are taking it no further. Like everything else the context needs to be set. Had these words been addressed to an angry mob of non Moslems outside a mosque then it may be deemed an attempt to stir up racial hatred, but in the context of a Sunday sermon I do not see the issue. I think it is typical of this country which wants to bend over backwards not to upset Moslems.

If you have access to the BBCi player you could pick up further discussion on the Stephen Nolan show.

The church's website is http://www.metropolitan-tabernacle.org

Thanks for that Stuart. As you say the context in which the words were spoken seem to be the main cause for concern. You wonder if this, if it is taken further, may lead to moves away from the uploading of audio and video sermons to the internet, or at least of congregations being more selective of what is uploaded online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back