James Smith (1802-1862)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I'm looking for some information about James Smith (1802-1862). He was an English Baptist pastor who was Charles Spurgeon's immediate predecessor at Park Street Church in London (1841-1850). I think he was friendly with Spurgeon and may have been one of the speakers at the opening of the Metropolitan Tabernacle in 1861.

I know that he was born in Old Brentford, Middlesex, England, on November 19, 1802. He preached for many years and did a considerable amount of writing. I know that he suffered a stroke in late 1861 which put an end to his ministry.

I'm looking for information as to where and when he died. I think he died in London sometime during 1862, probably before his birthday (I say "probably" because his birthday was so late in the year), which means he was 59 when he died. I've Googled around some, but detailed biographical information is somewhat scarce. His (extremely lengthy) autobiography is available on Grace Gems. It was seen through the press by his son, Joseph Smith (no, not that guy!) later in 1862. Unfortunately, his son does not inform the reader of any particulars as to where and when Smith died.

I'm interested because I've just purchased his two volumes of daily devotionals from Reformation Heritage Press (both volumes for $20!).

If anyone here knows anything, or knows how to find out, I'd appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back