Jesus and Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsw201

Puritan Board Senior
Did anyone watch the show " the Jesus Seminar meets the New Perspective on Paul" last night?

When do you think the main stream media will actually have Christians talk about Christ and Paul?

I found myself alternating between thanking God for the good stuff and arguing when the garbage was being spit out.

For example: I was on the edge of my seat almost literally when the prof from Duke gave Jennings the clear message Paul was telling people of Jesus as Messiah.

There was plenty of aggravating lies polluting the gospel. What made me mad was insinuating Paul was making Christianity popular by dropping circumcision and the rest of Jewish law simply because it was too hard. Infuriating lie.

But the optimist I am says there was some good in that and God will use it.

I already wrote Jennings (not my idea- Dobson's) and told him the gospel without flying off the handle. He's ignant and I was ignant at one point in my life, too re: the gospel. Can't throw stones.

I watched about 5 or 10 minutes of it. It was the part when Jennings asked "do you think that Paul change the message of Jesus?" The only person who gave an orthodox answer was Tom Wright when he answered in the negative. Everyone else's answers made me nauseous. :barfy: I had to stop watching.

:banghead:

[quote:175ea45b8c]
For example: I was on the edge of my seat almost literally when the prof from Duke gave Jennings the clear message Paul was telling people of Jesus as Messiah.
[/quote:175ea45b8c]

STC,

That Prof from Duke was E. P. Sanders. Sanders denies the full message that Paul preached, ie; Justification by Faith Alone.

I watched it - curiosity killed the cat! I found a couple of things funny. For example, they talked to a LOT of Catholics - that is, until they started talking about Paul vs. Peter and James, because they kept referring to James as Jesus' brother, and as any Catholic will tell you, Jesus was an only child. So the Catholics just disappeared from that part of the show. Then they reappeared toward the end. Anyone else catch that? Also, there was a distinct push toward getting "Christians" to "get" that Paul wasn't against homosexuality - he was speaking for the short term. He was sure the world was going to end ANY DAY NOW, so anything he wrote shouldn't be taken seriously today. Of course, there are 2 things about that:

1. That neatly takes the authorship of the Bible away from God and places it firmly in human hands
2. They conveniently "forget" that homosexuality is covered in multiple places in the Bible, not just in Paul's writing.

To be fair, at least Peter Jennings has the guts to mention Jesus on TV. And he has said that this project was underway and scheduled well before Passion came out. (True? Who knows?)

Basically, I was mixed between joy that somebody was talking about Jesus (kind of like being in a foreign country and hearing English spoken) and anger at the gross misrepresentations...

:wr50:

OHHHH! and disgust at a couple of the feminists! UGH!!!

Feminists make me soooo mad!!!!

:mad::flaming::mad::flaming:

Oy vey, I missed that one! Did anybody see the one on Fox News about Jesus? It wasn't horrible, but it was far from good. It was, basically, Catholic.

I for one welcome bad theology on t.v. My family and close friends look to me for an opinion of what they've watched. I watched a great deal of "Jesus of Nazareth" on History Channel with an unbeliever. I was able to point out the parts that weren't in the Bible. It was good that I could establish my credibility as a Biblical witness. It opens the door to questions and conversations. Gently, quietly, patiently witness. Save the sibling fights for the boards. :bouncing:
Bee

These lousy arguments about Paul changing the religion of Jesus have been around for quite a while. This has been foundational to liberalism. But Machen does an outstanding job refuting these baseless caims in his excellent book [i:5cd00703b9]The Origin of Paul's Religion[/i:5cd00703b9].

The Damascus road lie angered me. What we the scales, then, Mr. Jennings? What about three days without eating? Was that symbolic, too?

The feminists, God love 'em, do a lot of damage, I agree. They need to be treated very delicately or they won't believe the Word or in the Lord.

One gal wrote a book "The Gnostic Paul" I'd be afriad of being fried on the spot if I wrote that book!

Also, I didn't know the Duke Prof, Sanders, didn't believe in faith alone. After he explained a clear and short unpolluted gospel message of what Paul conveyed to people, Jennings said roughly, "Alright. I'm the sceptic that heard the message. I would ask why did Jesus die on the cross?" and the prof missed the boat. "To pay for man's sins" would have been great but something came out the side of his mouth I didn't catch and flopped. Deflated me at the moment as he was going strong.

I watched all three hours of the show and only watched because Peter Jennings had been on Larry King last week talking about the show. Then when I saw D. James Kennedy on Fox I believe it was sharing that he had been interviewed for the three hour special and saw that conservatives were few and far between I knew the show was going to be slanted.

As someone who has read Prof Elaine Pagels works and she was show a lot in the three hours, I guess what perplexes me is why WHY have people on a show who dont believe in Christ as the Messiah?

I am no theologian but I have always assumed that Christ and his followers were 'fanatical' in a good sense and that either one believes he was whom he said he was or you don't and if you don't who gives a damn? Leave those who believe and have faith and know the power of grace, prayer and redemption alone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back