Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
Good article:

https://americanreformer.org/2024/02/Jesus-calling-and-the-pca/

Last edited:
I agree the book is an abomination. I recall when it came out I apparently had more spine than all of the men of the PCA combined because I just straight up told my wife that the author was putting words in the mouth of God and that was blasphemous if not heretical and as such she wasn’t to read it. And she didn’t. And my wife advised all in her circle not to read it either. Ah, that all men were as me.

But why the hubbub now? It’s been out 20 years - does anyone even read it any more? Why wasn’t action taken at some point in the past 20 years? Whats the motivation for NOW?

I mean this just seems to me like a day late and a dollar short. Or maybe only now after 20 years is it safe for a PCA man to risk incurring the wrath of the monstrous regimen of women over the book.

Heck, chances are Inman’s one-man quest to get us to repudiate it is going to raise awareness of the book for a whole new generation of women resulting in even more popularity.

I agree the book is an abomination. I recall when it came out I apparently had more spine than all of the men of the PCA combined because I just straight up told my wife that the author was putting words in the mouth of God and that was blasphemous if not heretical and as such she wasn’t to read it. And she didn’t. And my wife advised all in her circle not to read it either. Ah, that all men were as me.

But why the hubbub now? It’s been out 20 years - does anyone even read it any more? Why wasn’t action taken at some point in the past 20 years? Whats the motivation for NOW?

I mean this just seems to me like a day late and a dollar short. Or maybe only now after 20 years is it safe for a PCA man to risk incurring the wrath of the monstrous regimen of women over the book.

Heck, chances are Inman’s one-man quest to get us to repudiate it is going to raise awareness of the book for a whole new generation of women resulting in even more popularity.
Maybe so. I think he believes the PCA ought to admit that it erred in the past in not condemning it at the time.

I think you're underestimating the continued popularity of the book. As for the timing, I think it's due to the relatively recent death of Sarah Young (sometime in the past year, I think), as well as the seemingly approving mention (neutral at best) of her and her book in certain PCA publications.

It’s more popular with young pop-Eva folks than you’d think. Very popular in my youth group with the ladies, and common in my college Christian group as well

I don't think this is a correct assessment, brother. Ben is a good friend (I visit with him and his family every week), and we have talked about this for some time. He is definitely not doing this because it's safe. He had heard about the book several years back, and only this past year learned it was written by a former MTW missionary and wife of a PCA minister. This pricked his conscience, and so he acted by sending an Overture to Presbytery. As, 'The duties required in the ninth commandment are, the preserving and promoting of truth between man and man, and the good name of our neighbour, as well as our own' (LC 144), I am obliged to say that the reading in of motives is way off-base. I don't think you mean ill by it - just trying to help by filling in some of the gaps that are easy to miss.

I understand if you have differing opinion regarding to the time and necessity of this - that is certainly your prerogative and I would not desire to enter into that debate now. I am only trying to address the personal issue.

(Edited for Clarification)

Last edited:
Yes very sad this was never formally condemned by the PCA. This is a good example of how far public idolatry can go if the shepherds do not carry out church discipline first at the local level. It should be as shocking as the golden cow.

I was shocked to learn that she was in the PCA, after her death.

I was familiar with the book, and knew it was bad news. The folk I know who read it are deep into the secret knowledge and modern day prophet scene.

I was in Sam's Club earlier today and there was a stack of at least 20 copies of this book for sale.

I should have mentioned that the way I found out about their involvement with the PCA, was through the PCA magazine By Faith, specifically the 50th anniversary edition I grabbed to read.

A long time has passed, sure. But if I remember correctly the mentioning of her in the magazine included her authoring the book. I had since thrown it away, so I cannot confirm that immediately.

Over the years, I kept confusing the topic of this thread with “The Shack” by William Young.

It is popular among many evangelical women, even those attending reformed churches. Many women seem to rely on it including some of my friends. A year ago I emailed my concerns to “Ask Ligonier”, a service for laymen with theological questions. I was perplexed because it seemed to raise the question of the appropriateness of pretending to be Jesus. And in fact, that’s what she was doing. How many millions of copies would be sold if it had been marketed as a middle-aged woman’s impressions of what she feels Jesus might say. Nobody much would care. The source of her writings is deliberately left ambiguous. So, was it simply a literary device or something far worse? I just couldn’t understand why the PCA would tolerate this sort of thing so I assumed my understanding needed correction. The response I got was from an overseas pastor whose first language was not English. His brief answer was that’s it’s best to rely on the Bible. I agree. But I think more has to be said and I’m glad that now there’s a conversation about it. Also, millions upon millions of dollars have been made and she died an extremely wealthy woman. Is there any relationship among the parties involved? Did the PCA benefit directly or indirectly from the continuance of her project? Is this an illegitimate question?

But I think more has to be said and I’m glad that now there’s a conversation about it. Also, millions upon millions of dollars have been made and she died an extremely wealthy woman. Is there any relationship among the parties involved? Did the PCA benefit directly or indirectly from the continuance of her project? Is this an illegitimate question?
Such questions are part of what the overture mentioned above is seeking to address. It calls for a study committee tasked with determining what the PCA's relationship with the book has been, with the hope that it would demonstrate the areas where the PCA ought to repent for its involvement or lack thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back