John 15:16

Status
Not open for further replies.

cih1355

Puritan Board Junior
John 15:16 says, "You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He will give to you.".

In the above verse, what is the difference between chose and appointed? What does go and bear fruit mean?

Specifically choose his people to bear spiritual good or fruit. Fruit is used figuritively as if the choosen vessel a humon(quark;)) were a branch then bearing fruit is used to represent good works.

blade

[quote:968b953f36][i:968b953f36]Originally posted by cih1355[/i:968b953f36]
John 15:16 says, "You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He will give to you.".

In the above verse, what is the difference between chose and appointed? What does go and bear fruit mean? [/quote:968b953f36]

How about 'elected and decree'd'. Go and bear fruit means that sanctification WILL occur.

I believe the context restricts this passage to the selection of Christ's apostles. To appoint is to ordain, to set aside for a purpose.

<<<In the above verse, what is the difference between chose and appointed? What does go and bear fruit mean? >>>

Chosen,elected ,predestined.
For what purpose?
To bear fruit.
Why?
"Herein is my father glorified if you bear much fruit".John 15:8
andreas.
:book:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back