John 6:21 Miracle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stargazer65

Puritan Board Freshman
"...immediately the boat was at the land to which they were going"

Do you think this is describing a miracle, or just a way of advancing the narrative to the next point?
 
While I am not of the mind that there is great import to the question, or that men should contend over it, I'm satisfied that the remainder of the journey was not left to the labor of the boatmen, in their weary and stressed condition. They neither sailed nor rowed but were conveyed--either instantly or effortlessly--to port.
 
I suppose it depends on what εὐθέως’s possible meanings are and what meaning is most likely. Jerome translated it in the Vulgate with “statim” which can mean “forthwith” or “immediately”. I know Mark uses εὐθὺς a lot and there it is sometimes translated as “then”. I see the Statenvertaling translates it with “terstond” which means soon.

In John 5:9 the lame man after being healed εὐθέως (immediately) picks up his bed. In John 18:17 the rooster crows εὐθέως (immediately thereafter) when Peter denies Jesus. It seems to be what happens immediately after something has happened. I tend to think at the moment that εὐθέως advances the narrative and indicate that there is not a huge amount of time that has expired, not and indication of a second miracle. However, I shall have to investigate a bit further. Interesting question.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top