John Brown of Wamphray: A man must be justified before he can be sanctified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
That the person who only is in case to make use of Christ for Sanctification, is one, that hath made use of Him already for Righteousness & justification: for one who is a stranger to Christ, and is living in nature, hath no access to Christ for sanctification. He must be a believer and within the covenant, ere he can make use of the grounds of sanctification, laid down in the covenant.

One must first be united to Christ, and justified by faith in Him, before he can draw any virtue from Him for perfecting holiness. He must first be in Him before he can grow up in Him, or bring forth fruit in Him. And therefore the first thing that souls would go about, should be to get an union made up with Christ, and be clothed with his righteousness by faith; and then they have a right to all his benefits: first they should labour to get their state changed from enmity, to peace & reconciliation with God, through faith in Jesus. ...

For the reference, see John Brown of Wamphray: A man must be justified before he can be sanctified.

Not another John Brown from Scotland! Who can keep up! :doh:

:lol: Yes, there seems to be no end of John Browns in both Scotland and Ireland. I recall talking to another PhD student back in the day about my research and he said, "My granda was a Presbyterian minister." I then asked, "What was his name?" "John Brown" was the response, to which I remarked, "Well, that narrows it down!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back