Must there be prayer before salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David FCC

Puritan Board Freshman
I was discussing this with a friend tonight and I was always under the impression that belief in Christ was all that was asked for, my friend believes that there is no salvation without prayer.

Can someone help me us out with scripture quotes if possible?

Thanks guys

David

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and they shall be saved. Says nothing about pray to be saved. Even the Scriptures that speak of confessing with our mouths that Christ is Lord are not refering to prayer. If one truly is saved by grace through faith in Christ Jesus they will be professing his Lordship and will be driven to call upon Him in prayer. I don't see how it can work the other way 'round. How can a dead in sin person truly pray and call upon Christ for salvation? Answer, they can't.

So frankly I think there must be salvation before true prayer can be uttered.

:agree:

In my case if there had been any prayer for me, it would have been way back to the last christians in my family which would be my great-grandparents, I simply knew no christians when I became a believer

I think it has to depend a little bit on how one defines 'prayer'? Surely faith does cry 'Abba Father' even without words?

I think it has to depend a little bit on how one defines 'prayer'? Surely faith does cry 'Abba Father' even without words?

True, but I think what is being refered to by David's friend is some sort of "sinners prayer" formula of salvation. David, please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The only way that prayer MUST be a part of salvation is on the part of the witness; faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. The words of truth and faith which we speak when we proclaim or discuss the Gospel are the very words of Jesus; but this cannot be a reality unless we are praying - communicating with God about the revelation of His will.

A parrot repeating bible verses is not speaking the words of God; and it never will be unless God gives the parrot faith and it thus speaks.

Satan might say the witness' prayer must be audible and co-operative with the hearer...

:2cents:

The only way that prayer MUST be a part of salvation is on the part of the witness; faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. The words of truth and faith which we speak when we proclaim or discuss the Gospel are the very words of Jesus; but this cannot be a reality unless we are praying - communicating with God about the revelation of His will.

A parrot repeating bible verses is not speaking the words of God; and it never will be unless God gives the parrot faith and it thus speaks.

Satan might say the witness' prayer must be audible and co-operative with the hearer...

I really do not think I agree with this, but then again I am not really sure I understand you.

Prayer is like any other fruit of salvation, it usually follows salvation but has no causal effect.

The whole concept is very synergistic.

Any chance of a meaning to go along with the word synergistic? I'm not a :graduate: :lol:

Sorry I can truly be the unaceptable face of acronysms:

syn·er·gism (snr-jzm)
n.
1. Synergy.
2. Christianity The doctrine that individual salvation is achieved through a combination of human will and divine grace.

As opposed to Monergism:

monergism

the doctrine advanced by some Lutheran theologians that spiritual renewal is exclusively the activity of the Holy Spirit

I really do not think I agree with this, but then again I am not really sure I understand you.

Prayer is like any other fruit of salvation, it usually follows salvation but has no causal effect.

I don't believe there MUST be a witness praying for the hearer's salvation, but, hypothetically, that's the ONLY way it could be "required". God can give a man faith through reading one of our topics here or from hearing someone's testimony or by leading the person to read the Bible, or however else He chooses to. But if prayer was a part of the program, that's how it'd have to be -- just an idea, trying to make God the source of faith in everything salvific. :)

I can't articulate the idea very well; but does that clarify what I said at all, Mike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back