Josh 7:19

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark thompson

Puritan Board Freshman
Joshua 7:19

KJV 19 And Joshua said unto Achan, My son, give, I pray thee, glory to the LORD God of Israel, and make confession unto him; and tell me now what thou hast done; hide it not from me.

Geneva 19 Then Ioshua said vnto Achan, My sonne, I beseech thee, giue glory to the Lord God of Israel, and make confession vnto him, and shewe me now what thou hast done: hide it not from me.

These are my thoughts.

We need to confess to the Lord and repent but also confess to each other so they can help us.

What you said is true, but in this specific context, the Lord already indicated that the culprit was Achan. The Lord's testimony is true and if Achan lied to Joshua at this point he would've called God a liar. So Achan should've given glory to God by testifying to His truthfulness. He confessed it to Joshua because Joshua was God's representative in front of Achan.

Now for the application:
The Lord's testimony about us is known: Psalm 14, Romans 1-3
So our manifest unrighteousness serves to show the righteousness of God.
And if it was not for Christ, our story would've ended with a stoning just like Achan, because we deserve that and much worse for eternity due to our sins and unrighteousness.
But now the righteousness of God has appeared in his Son, Jesus Christ, who by his atoning work on the cross paid the penalty for these sins of ours.

Joshua 7:20

KJV 20 And Achan answered Joshua, and said, Indeed I have sinned against the LORD God of Israel, and thus and thus have I done:

Geneva 20 And Achan answered Ioshua, and saide, In deede, I haue sinned against the Lord God of Israel, and thus, and thus haue I done.

These are my thoughts.

We should confess our sins but he waited till it was to late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back