Latin Tridentine Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter JM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
A few friends of mine converted from the Reformed faith, one to Catholicism and the other to Orthodoxy. I was invited to attend a Latin Mass and I have to say I'm very curious. The Novus Ordo is a lot like the Anglican Book of Alternative Services Liturgy which I'm familiar with, however, the Tridentine Mass is a different beast.

Would you go? For research purposes?

Yours in the Lord,

jm
 
Little children, keep yourselves from idols.

It is not wrong in and of itself to be present at a mass for the purposes of research but.... why? There are other ways to research without participation or being present. Being present could give the impression of giving one's approval to their worship and their church and thereby a sin against charity (towards them; potentially towards those who know you, if your attendance emboldens a weaker brother to attend). If one has temptations in this area, why tempt oneself? If one is strong (and one should be very wary; we often deceive ourselves as to our own strength), why would one want to be present at something that one finds utterly abhorent and knows that is utterly abhorent to the Lord?

The fact that one has had Reformed friends brought over and that one is intrigued by their service suggests this could be a potentially catastrophic decision. There is a history of apostates inviting their curious friends into their apostacy, and their friends go and join them. I don't know them, but this does not sound like a friendly invitation, but even if it was: best to not over-estimate one's own strength and instead to keep oneself from idols.
 
The fact that one has had Reformed friends brought over and that one is intrigued by their service suggests this could be a potentially catastrophic decision. There is a history of apostates inviting their curious friends into their apostasy, and their friends go and join them. I don't know them, but this does not sound like a friendly invitation, but even if it was: best to not over-estimate one's own strength and instead to keep oneself from idols.

Amen, and amen. Listen to this wise counsel brother.
 
Thanks folks, excellent council thus far, I have plenty to think about.

If you'd like to know what I decide I could post back?

Yours in the Lord,

jm
 
Here's my :2cents:
I can easily imagine one 1C Old Covenant devotee, saying to his New Covenant friend (prior to AD70), "Look, just come with me to the Temple, on one of our biggest feast days. See the glorious display, smell the incense, hear the priestly intonation, while you admire his God-ordained finery! Then, if you don't appreciate it, you never have to come back. It's not like I'm twisting your arm or anything. I just want you to know what you're missing."

Rome has the very same sales pitch. Look, if its pomp and ceremony you want, Rome is the way to go. EO has a slightly different aesthetic, but it still makes the "experience" the thing. "Immersed" in the liturgy. So, some/all of it is in another language? That's become part of the experience--an otherworldly, sensory-laden heaven-brought-down (as opposed to a strictly spiritual translation to the heavenly courts)--where even another language is spoken.

Rome has self-consciously tried to recreate the Tabernacle/Temple experience for a New Covenant age. The proper, biblical response is the same that Hebrews gives: "Why would you go back to the shadows from the reality? Why retreat from Jesus?" Rome isn't offering a clearer representation of Jesus (even if they think their crucifixes etc. are doing that). All they are doing is the reverse of the New Covenant movement. Paul, in 2Cor.3&4, explains how the OC glories, although appointed by God, dazzled more than they revealed. The eyes of faith see better and clearer without the distraction. Does he look forward to the days when the persecutions and trials of NC ministry are behind, and the NC ministry will be draped in the OC priestly finery? Not at all.

If you attend this thing, I hope you understand that what they have isn't even authorized, the way the original OC service was. Rome has nothing to offer but fools gold.
 
A few friends of mine converted from the Reformed faith, one to Catholicism and the other to Orthodoxy. I was invited to attend a Latin Mass and I have to say I'm very curious. The Novus Ordo is a lot like the Anglican Book of Alternative Services Liturgy which I'm familiar with, however, the Tridentine Mass is a different beast.

Would you go? For research purposes?

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Brother, this concerns me. Especially after viewing your private blog as well. This has all the makings of a shipwrecked soul, but we haven’t gotten to that dreadful scene quite yet.

Please turn back before you hit the iceberg.
 
"Let us be awakened hereby to observe what the apostle John hath cautioned us, when he saith, “Little children, keep yourselves from idols.” (1 John 5:21.)—For, certainly, there hath not been a more abominable idol ever invented than this Popish Mass, wherein, to the dishonour of our Lord Jesus, a piece of bread is made the Saviour of the world, and a proper sacrifice for the pardoning of the sins both of the living and the dead. And that which aggravates this kind of idolatry is, that they make Jesus Christ the institutor thereof, and the holy God to be the former and fashioner thereof, by the miracle of transubstantiation.
Secondly. Let us hereby be awakened into resolutions to keep close to Jesus Christ, our great High Priest, our only sacrifice, and Intercessor at the right hand of God; from whom so many thousand souls have gone a-whoring, under the great apostasy, after this filthy idol.—Christ sacrificed on the cross we know, and Christ at the right hand of God we know; but Christ made of a piece of bread, and again sacrificed in the Mass, we know not. You are certain Christ was once crucified, and that that once was enough to make your peace, and save you; look not after any other sacrifice; for doubtless, as the apostle says, “there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.” (Heb. 10:26.) - BY THE REV. THOMAS WADSWORTH, A. M



Nichols, J. (1981). Puritan Sermons (Vol. 6, p. 529). Wheaton, IL: Richard Owen Roberts, Publishers.
 
"...be wise as to what is good and innocent as to what is evil..." - Romans 16:19
 
JM, I was raised Catholic and went to Latin mass a bit as a kid. I considered myself Catholic up to my conversion at age 18.

Run, don’t walk, away from the enticement of the Catholic church. It is a massive facade and preaches a false gospel. Rev. Buchanan is right on about what Catholicism is.

The corruption runs deep in all directions and there is a reason they have a long history of sheltering homosexual predators. False doctrine and wicked immorality go hand in hand.
 
Plenty of excellent points were offered in this thread the one my really struck me and I thought about it all night.

"False doctrine and wicked immorality go hand in hand."

Yours in the Lord,

jm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top